No announcement yet.

Project Super Thrill! 83 GS1100 GSXR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I go the gage mounts bent to where they looked good for me setting on the bike. I used 2 eight foot dry wall straight edges on the rear tire to the front end. Got it dialed in. Also used the string method to double check. Spent all morning aligning and checking...

Got teh spacer for the rear done so it is centered in the arm. Now hope the rear sprockets align with the new countersprocket when it gets here.

Probably use the GSXR fender. Just wanting to get it running now. Will have to address headers probably next.

Springs removed? No I have not done that. Forks aligned pretty easily so I do not think they are bent. When I rode it I believe they seemed softer to a point. If that makes sense. Racetech does not list a stiffer spring than stock for the 07 GSXR 750 frontend.

What exactly would their gold valves do for me?
    Ken
    Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
      Racetech does not list a stiffer spring than stock for the 07 GSXR 750 frontend.

What exactly would their gold valves do for me?
      Ken
      I'm not sure i would worry about revalving for such a modern fork unless you were racing of course .

I've considered upgrades to 91 GSXR 75 forks but the 07's are probably light years ahead.

Comment

Yea, I probably have a big enough can of worms dialing this in. I still need to find or make a chain guard as well.

I used my angle finder to get the rake for the frontend and if my calcs are right, My trail comes out to 4.42 inches. Those were with rough numbers assuming their is no rake built into the stock GSXR triples. Best i can tell, there is none. Just a 30 mm offset. Setting the finder on the front forks and then on the top of the stem, I get the same 26 degrees. I need to pony up for one of the more accurate digital ones instead of the needle type degree finders.

I was pretty worried about the trail untill I put on the new rear tire. That helped some.

Ken

Comment

Got to ride it yesterday! Allthough I only got to ride it for a few miles. I

I made a rooky GS mistake when setting up the sprocket offset. The original sprocket on the front was not a factory one and I thought the 6mm spacer stayed, so I based my measurements off it for the rear sprocket spacing. Chain hit the frame and the new counter sprocket would not fit right with the spacer...

Removed spacer and had to remachine cush drive to take into account the 6mm. Everything fits now!! I had to grind a little off the humungus weld blob on the lower footpeg mount. Bottom chain would rub slightly. Top has plenty room.

Front brakes are PHENOMINALLY better! UNBELIEVABLE difference actually. The rear is actually a little less, not much. GSXR rotor is smaller in diameter.

Going to get teh shop cleaned this evening and go for a long drive!
          ken

Comment

Got to ride it yesterday! Allthough I only got to ride it for a few miles. I

I made a rooky GS mistake when setting up the sprocket offset. The original sprocket on the front was not a factory one and I thought the 6mm spacer stayed, so I based my measurements off it for the rear sprocket spacing. Chain hit the frame and the new counter sprocket would not fit right with the spacer...

Removed spacer and had to remachine cush drive to take into account the 6mm. Everything fits now!! I had to grind a little off the humungus weld blob on the lower footpeg mount. Bottom chain would rub slightly. Top has plenty room.

Front brakes are PHENOMINALLY better! UNBELIEVABLE difference actually. The rear is actually a little less, not much. GSXR rotor is smaller in diameter.

Going to get teh shop cleaned this evening and go for a long drive!
            ken
            Nice work, what was the length of those front forks? Having an clearance issues now? You doing the GSXR swingarm as well. Might want to setup for some more rear ride height. That really kills the rear brake as there is even less weight on the rear (mine anyway; almost no effect). But with floating rotors the front is great.

Not sure how much better (or if the even need it) radial mount v.s. traditional calipers are. Here is an explanation I found for what the RM are about.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-25-2010, 09:13 AM.

Comment

May eventually do a rear conversion to a different swingarm, but tired of working on it for awhile right now.
              Fork length came out to approximately 28 inches from top of triple tree to center of axle.

Header ground clearance will be an issue. Really have to watch what I go over till I find a more suitable header. Suggestions on what to use or models that can be hacked into submission?

More rear height would decrease my trail? Not sure I want to do that yet. This evenings ride will tell...

Comment

Hey Darkstang, nice work! I am working on something similar, went with the custom ground conversion bearing for my front triple off an 05 GSXR, most use them for the SV conversions. I didn't realize a mix and match from All Balls would get me there. Could you post your part numbers for the next guy? What are you using for a speedo pickup on the stock gauge set with that GSXR front? Great work, can't wait to see the rest!
                Cheers, Erick

Comment

The second post in this thread has the size and part numbers for the bearings from All Balls. Going to gut the factory speedo unit and put in a aftermarket in the speedo hole. Their are several that use magnetic pickups and small diameter circular housings that I can adapt.
                  Ken

Comment

May eventually do a rear conversion to a different swingarm, but tired of working on it for awhile right now.
                    Fork length came out to approximately 28 inches from top of triple tree to center of axle.

Header ground clearance will be an issue. Really have to watch what I go over till I find a more suitable header. Suggestions on what to use or models that can be hacked into submission?

More rear height would decrease my trail? Not sure I want to do that yet. This evenings ride will tell...
                    They are some options on headers. I have a couple I'm probably not going to use.

I'll fireup my groudn clearance spreadsheet as well; PM me you email address if you want a copy of the spreadsheet.

Comment

can you explain header options?

40 mile ride report:

First 20 miles were highway. Tracked straight, seems steadier in buffet winds from transfer trucks. You can tell you have a lot more rubber on the pavement. It is smoother though. radials I guess...Seemed to follow ridges more than the old setup?? Tires??

They are mixed matched for right now. Battleax BT 14 up front and Shinko Adventure in rear. Shinko is a very flat profile compared to the Battleaxe. this may be some of it...

last 20 miles were all curves... This is were I do not like it , or at least not yet. Just very different... At slower speeds the bike turns instead of leans so to speak. You have to keep it from turning in too much. You can come in pretty good and throw it over and it seems better, but at slower speeds, it is hard to be smooth through the curves.

Could this be from the different tire profiles? Now I have to figure out what tiires to buy as well.

Ken

Comment

New tire update: Dunlop Sportmax Q2's in 170 rear and 120 front.

After I got the stator replaced and the elctrical system going, I installed my new tires. After balancing and alignment I took it for a drive.

I am a very happy camper now! it handles great! Turn in is effortless and it now flows thorugh the curves instead of having to fight it. Front does not want to turn in to fast and deep like the Battleaxe.

I can now hold my line through the whole curve and bike does not "wallow" like with the mixed matched set.

The most noticeable thing is the transitions are very smooth and "flowing". it does not "fall off" center like a v profile and does not try to upright itself or lean further. It just takes the line you set...it is easy to lean further if you need or go back up just as easy.

I deffinitely like the ride of the radials over the old bias ply.

ken

Comment

The ignition does not fit the new top clamp, so I go to the machine shop tommorow to make the gage cluster bracket and mill the top clamp ignition piece off.

Reading your post... I hope it has a good ending.
                          But this picture is perfect. The gauges are looking great.
                          Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
                          The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

New tire update: Dunlop Sportmax Q2's in 170 rear and 120 front.

After I got the stator replaced and the elctrical system going, I installed my new tires. After balancing and alignment I took it for a drive.

I am a very happy camper now! it handles great! Turn in is effortless and it now flows thorugh the curves instead of having to fight it. Front does not want to turn in to fast and deep like the Battleaxe.

I can now hold my line through the whole curve and bike does not "wallow" like with the mixed matched set.

The most noticeable thing is the transitions are very smooth and "flowing". it does not "fall off" center like a v profile and does not try to upright itself or lean further. It just takes the line you set...it is easy to lean further if you need or go back up just as easy.

I deffinitely like the ride of the radials over the old bias ply.

ken
                            any chance of some updated pictures?
                            Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
                            The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

It will decrease your trail but your steering yoke is actually offset less on a newer style fork which effectively increases your trail. So your trial won't be a LOT different than where it was stock depending on how much you raise the rear. Your rake and trail will be less so your turning will sharpen. I'd recommend a steering damper to aid with the quick steering

Comment

I drove it with the old rear end after I aligned the front. After the alignment, it drove really well. No wobbles and tracked straight. Could ride with no hands from about 70 down to 35 and no handlebar shake on the deceleration.

New brake stay. Just need to safety wire the bolts before riding much.
                                That brake stay is pretty sweet. What exactly is it? Can I get you to post a couple more pics of it? Are your shock clevis's offset at all or are they centered? Does your chain clear your shock ok? I'm in the process of lining up my custom wire wheels on my 750. I'm running a 160 tire in the rear, bought a 1/4 530 offset sprocket (machined down to 520), and am getting some yss shocks built. Now it's just a matter of lining it all up... Sprocket, brake stay, wheel in centered in swingarm, rear wheel to front wheel BLAH BLAH BLAH... I'm just wanting to hear from someone who has been through what I'm going through and you seem like the guy!

Comment

Working...
                                X