No announcement yet.

fuel injected turbo katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saying that the instrument cluster is nice would be an understatement. Now THIS is some serious stuff .

I like, I like.... Please keep the updates coming .

Comment

This bike looks amazing in person.The extra detail he has done..That gauge looks great.Can't wait to see it back from paint.

Comment

A buddy of mine gave me a fuel lamp indicator the other day.It is just what I needed for my low fuel warning light. With the system I am using (sv650 thermistor style low fuel warning) I apprently need an incondescent bulb to work with the thermistors. They don't seem to work with just resistors and led lights. So, I am working on a plan to use the incondescent for low fuel and a flashing led for critical low as the sv650 has duel thermistors.
        The light my buddy so graciously gave me, is just rubber and plastic so I fabbed a housing for it to fit on the instrument panel. I still have some final contouring to do on the panel but it is very close now. I am waiting for a couple colored leds so I can finally have it all mocked up and then, figure out paint, powder, polish????

Last edited by katman; 07-08-2011, 03:46 AM.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

That thing is such a work of art i think it would be a shame to cover it in paint or powder. Polish and clear?
          GS850GT

Comment

Had a great day today. Threw the engine together, that is almost. After getting everything sorted and gooped with case cement, and put together, guess what happened? On the final torque of the main case bolts one stripped out. So apart she comes again, drill, helicoil, re-goop, rebolt and success... Yeeehhhhh, or almost. Three of the 6mm bolts let go this time. INcluding one of the deeeeep pocket ones that goes in from the top of the cases. Apart she comes again.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

That sucks. Hopefully the next time is the last.

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                After getting everything sorted and gooped with case cement, and put together, guess what happened? On the final torque of the main case bolts one stripped out. So apart she comes again, drill, helicoil, re-goop, rebolt and success... Yeeehhhhh, or almost. Three of the 6mm bolts let go this time. INcluding one of the deeeeep pocket ones that goes in from the top of the cases. Apart she comes again.
                I've been through this, it was a royal PITA! But I've learnt the lesson the first time around. For the second attempt i put the cases together DRY and torqued all the bolts to spec and 10% more. A few gave way so I helicoiled them but at least I didn't have to un-goo all the surfaces for the second time... Good luck!
                GS850GT

Comment

Yeah, I've been through this too. I needed to helicoilall but one preparing for assembly, and then at the first race meeting I had a small hydraulicing problem which found the weakest link. You are lucky to find it when you did. PS I also wrecked a piston and the sleeve so it had to come apart again anyway.
                  • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                  • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                  • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                  • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

I'm with Psyguy on this one, that work of art is too beautiful to cover in paint or powder, polish is the way to go.
                    I have been following this build quietly and it is really going to be an amazing bike when done, can't wait for more.

Comment

Thanks all for the support and the good advise. But, nothing stopping them from pulling after you do have it all gooped. I have torqed up cam caps to spec, had to coil one and then next time two more go that were fine 15 minutes before.
                      Just can't trust 30 year old aluminum!!!!
                      Last edited by katman; 07-10-2011, 05:48 AM.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Nice work Rob. I wish I had your skills.

Comment

These clocks are turning into a career for me.There was not enough room in to pod for the led wires to clear past the tach/speedo body so I had to figure out something else. I wanted to do a lower ring anyway so I hid the wires behind it. Today was real nice so I went for a long ride up the coast to clear some cobwebs out of my melon. Then, came home and tried to finish the clocks. Well, still don't have them complete. The backing ring took a while cuuuuuz! I had to machine it out of a solid piece. Then drilled and tapped some thread to afix it to the mounting bracket.
                          As you can see, I don't have the right size bolts but you get the idea. I still have to machine the lower ring to make room for all the wires for the speedo and tach. The wires you see in the pics are only the led wires. I may use a flashing red led for critical low and move the orange over to "head light on" indicator. That, or I need to find another color for it.

Didn't like the open back on the lower fuel light so I used a bar end plug. Just had to widdle it down slightly and cut a hole in the side for the wires. The light is weather proof but I think it looks cleaner that way.

Also, there is more contouring and clean up on the mounting bracket. I have decided to go with a combination of gloss and flat black paint, and polished aluminum for the final product.

Last edited by katman; 07-11-2011, 04:42 AM.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Got some more done on the tacho today. Added the plate for the Yoshimura multimeter and cleaned up some contours. It is still rough, though it is almost there. Final touches and detailing before paint and polish.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Doing final touches on my billet sprocket cover. Have been working on this a long time. I am going to have two plates behind it to cover up the shift position wires and basic ugliness behind the sprocket as well as a cover for the starter and stator wires up to to clean that up and protect them. I am also going to make a cover for the shaft behind the cover to clean up the metal shaft look. May even anodize it.

Last edited by katman; 07-13-2011, 03:45 AM.
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

very nice design and workmanship mr katman!
                                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                                X