No announcement yet.

Motocrossx23's GS750 Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the lack of progress, it's currently....7 degrees outside here, and without a heated garage a lot of my work is halted.

Hopefully once it warms up a bit I will be able to get more done. As of right now I'm focusing on my new track bike (2004 SV650), so this kind of got put on the back-burner until warmer weather.

Comment

Bump for some updates!

I let this project sit over winter as I built my track bike and purchased another Suzuki...SV650 lol.

I decided to scrap the restoration project and do what I wanted to do initially...build a cafe racer.

So, I realized first that this was an L model. Time to "un-L" the "L".

Everytime I see a 750L cafe, I hate the gap from the subframe to the tank, so I made the decision to cut the frame and extend up the subframe to where it should be.

Where it should be:

Where she sits now:

More to come soon, just collecting parts right now so I can knock out a few things at a time.

-Chris

Comment

I like cafe's so I'm in. If you haven't already, look up coastiepete and his GS750L.

Comment

Interest in where this change of direction takes us!

Comment

Coastiepetes cafe is actually what a lot of my decision towards thecae build was based off. I just didn't like the gap from his seat to the tank, hence the cutting.

Comment

UPDATE!!!

I decided to modify the frame and "un-L" the bike for good in the form of a cafe racer.

On to the pictures...

Sleeving the inside of the frame tubes for support, note the large gap on the top subframe tube

Ready to weld...

Final product, as of now. We cleaned up the welds and hit them with some paint to protect from rust as well, after this picture was taken of course lol.

Comment

Wow. Big difference. I guess longer shocks are in order,ay?

Comment

Yeah the old shocks are "meh" anyways lol.

Comment

More pictures please.
                    Post like your are what makes this place worth visiting.

Comment

I haven't really got too many pictures, this is a nickel and dime build while I'm racing and teaching summer school. Once I get the extra tank I'm looking for it'll be updated more, my hold up is parts right now

Comment

Frame looks good. Are you planning on keeping the exhaust / rear peg mounts or cutting them off? Just asking as I removed mine and think it cleaned up the looks of the frame. But then I am going to run a 4 into 1 and not carry a passenger so they aren't needed.

Comment

I'm most definitely going to cut them off and run a 4-1, so yes

Did you paint or powdercoat your frame? I was leaning towards powder but after seeing my buddies KZ750 that he painted with Rustoleum I am somewhat torn. I like the idea of being able to touch of areas with paint rather than getting angry over powder coat scratches lol.

Comment

Bump for updates!
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

So a little update:

I found a 1980 550E gas tank on eBay for .99 + 29.99 shipping, bid on it...and won. So now I have what I need to start making the cafe tail of the bike.

I shipped my 16" rear wheel to Florida in return for an 18" rear wheel. That way I can run a 19" front and 18" rear, much better look.

And finally... I bought this:

So I could do this:

And end up with stuff like this:

That's all for now

Comment

Originally posted by Motocrossx23 View Post
                                I'm most definitely going to cut them off and run a 4-1, so yes

Did you paint or powdercoat your frame? I was leaning towards powder but after seeing my buddies KZ750 that he painted with Rustoleum I am somewhat torn. I like the idea of being able to touch of areas with paint rather than getting angry over powder coat scratches lol.
                                Paint... Rustoleum's metalic charcoal.
                                Where did you get that buffer form and how much? I have been thinking about picking up an old bench grinder from the local pawn shop for $25 and then buying the buffing wheels so I don't have to keep going over to my buddys shop and using his. But by the time I get the motor, the wheels, and the compounds, I might have as much as a new one and the longer shaft motor would be sweet! I wonder what a new one from Harbor Freight would be.

Comment

Working...
                                X