No announcement yet.

Motocrossx23's GS750 Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got around to swapping out the old crap steel phillips head screws for Z1 Enterprises SS allen bolt kit. MUCH better! Also ordered a bunch of NOS gaskets to go along with everything. Once I get my exhaust bolts out I'll be all set to paint the motor.

Comment

Ain't she pretty?! What did you use for the rubber cinsert sealing washers that were on the 4 outboard phillips screws on top? Not that I am pointing anything out, just curious as to what you replaced them with? I know OEM's are still available.

Comment

Wow, that engine looks gorgeous, watching with interest, this is going to be a looker.

Comment

Hoosier, I haven't replaced them yet as I only swapped them temporarily until I get my gaskets in. I'll probably get some replacement ones from our machine shop at work.

Flyboy, I haven't even painted it yet lol. I'm torn between black and silver. I don't have access to an oven so I can bake on any high temp paints so I'm worried whatever I use is going to brown over time.

Comment

Sure you have access to an oven, we all do, just surprise the wife/GF/better half with an expenses paid trip to a spa for a week, it gives enough time for the fumes to vacate the kitchen and the rest of the house before she gets back, she will be none the wiser.

Comment

Haha, that'll put me in the dog house for sure! I'd have to split the cases in order to fit it in the oven. I'd rather not as the motor ran perfect before the tear down, I'd hate to tear the motor apart and cause headaches down the road

Comment

You need a new(read bigger) stove dude.

Comment

So today's task at hand is going to be getting out the 4 broken exhaust bolts and tapping the 5th one that was drilled and messed up.

Comment

I'm enjoying the transformation. Keep up the good work.

(subscribed.)

Comment

Thanks! I'll have some more pictures posted later on tonight too.

Comment

Originally posted by Motocrossx23 View Post
                        I'll have some more pictures posted later on tonight too.
                        What a teaser !
                        GS850GT

Comment

yeah, where are the pics, we wanna see.......
                          Psy, that avatar of yours is too creepy man, you gotta change it, it gives me the willies.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                            What a teaser !
                            Haha =P

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                            yeah, where are the pics, we wanna see.......
                            Psy, that avatar of yours is too creepy man, you gotta change it, it gives me the willies.
                            That's a picture of me on my old Ninja lol, I should update my signature and avatar though lol.

Comment

Oh...pictures...right!

So...I had 5 broken exhaust studs *sigh*

My first order of attack was to see if I could drill out one with left handed drill bits...no luck.

So then I decided to try to weld nuts onto the ends of the bolts...no luck. They kept on breaking off the ends and I wasted $2.00 worth of nuts (not a big deal actually lol)

Finally, I bucked up and bought a nice Titanium Nitride tap and die set from Lowes, normally I hate having to buy expensive specialty tools but this set is AWESOME!

Shop tools, appliances, building supplies, carpet, bathroom, lighting and more. Pros can take advantage of Pro offers, credit and business resources.

So, with the help of my buddy we went to town tackling the bolts.

*Side note* It helps that I have a Titanium Carbide drill bit set...these things chewed through metal like it was playdough

Fast forward 3 hours later, a few beers and a can of PB buster...we got all of the broken exhaust bolts drilled and tapped, chased all the existing bolt holes and did some welding on the seat pan

The final results of our labor tonight:

Just a TINY bit of wiggle from the tapping, but I plan on running exhaust studs on using a TON of red Loctite.

I'm off tomorrow so my plan is to get the tail/seat pan all ready for Bondo, I'll post more pictures as I get to it tomorrow

-Chris

Comment

Looks good, I also have 4 broken exhaust bolts. Tried the welding nuts as well and ended up just welding a stud on for the remainder of the summer. May try drilling and tapping like you did after I get the engine out.

Comment

Working...
                                X