My new project 1982 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russellhartzell View Post
    Can I buy fuel line and vent line at a local auto parts store?
    You can, but it won't be right.

The fuel line is thin-wall 7 mm tubing. Anything you are likely to find at the auto parts store is thick-wall, pressure rated tubing that will stand up to fuel injector pump pressures and will come in 1/4" (6.25 mm) or 5/16" (8 mm) sizes. The 1/4" tubing won't stretch over the fittings on the bike and the 5/16" tubing will require a clamp. The thicker tubing is also harder to get it to bend the way you want. The stock tubing fits very nicely and I don't bother with a clamp on my bikes. You can get the tubing from any of the online suppliers mentioned on BassCliff's greeting. It sounds like it's rather expensive at about $20 (the last time I got some), but you get several feet of it for that price, so it's not too bad.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[QUOTE=russellhartzell;1294165]THe bike has 57,000 miles on it. I have been watching and researching the carb issues. I am going to pick up some carb cleaner and get at it tonight or tomorrow. ANy recommendations on cleaners?[/QUOTE]

Yep, do this........Berryman's cleaner is in a gallon can at the local car care store, dip 'em, rebuild 'em with new o-rings from here...Beautiful 650 !!!

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Ok I was successful in removing the carb intake boots and only had to use the dremel on one screw. I took a flashlight and look in the holes at what assume is the valves (upside down icecream cone) and they were covered in a black crust like oil had crusted on. What should I do about that? Is there an easy fix on do I have to pull the top end? THanks for the help.

Comment

Yesterday I swapped out the rear brakeline for a stainless steel braided line and completely flushed out the brake system front and back. Today I started taking the carbs apart and hopefully I will start dipping them.

Comment

I have been slowly but surely cleaning things up on this bike. I dont have her fully running yet but I keep staring at her and I am not feeling it for the style. I might turn it into a bobber. I will have to sell the parts I take off of her to fund it but we will sees.

Comment

Working...
            X