Nitrous street 1166

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered an Innovate DB LC-1 gauge, just waiting for its arrival
    I am going to semi-permanently mount it. I am thinking of welding the bung for the sniffer in the exhaust can before the silencer. There doesnt seem enough room to mount it in the header
    I see you have the gauge mounted on the mirror stalk? With hose clamps?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
      I ordered an Innovate DB LC-1 gauge, just waiting for its arrival
      I am going to semi-permanently mount it. I am thinking of welding the bung for the sniffer in the exhaust can before the silencer. There doesnt seem enough room to mount it in the header
      I see you have the gauge mounted on the mirror stalk? With hose clamps?
      I would suggest when you do plug chops you really want to record the AFR. Trying to watch what is happening while you are riding WOT (monitoring the road, tach, and the AFR is very difficult)

You want to be able ot set the main by wtaching the AFR as you go past redline. You are looking for a tell tale sign that AFR is rising from about 12.5:1 to know the mains are right. Hard to see that without the recorder.

You can just hook up a PC capable of running the logworks software to log the runs. I have a more elaborate setup but it was nice to be able to see the results road side so you can try different things. A steep long hill is a must and usually not right out the door.

You wanna watch out for air leaks where the header and the mid come together. The long tube on the sniffer gets up sream of that point and so any leaks are not a problem.

Comment

Hmmm. Yes might be tricky trying to glance at the gauge while riding full throttle
        So I need to carry some kind of computer with a serial port. Maybe I should have gone for the LM-2. Or is there any other way of recording to a memory card

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
          Hmmm. Yes might be tricky trying to glance at the gauge while riding full throttle
          So I need to carry some kind of computer with a serial port. Maybe I should have gone for the LM-2. Or is there any other way of recording to a memory card
          The best bet would be some type of computer to capture the serial stream. I used to work with serial data alot, so I'm pretty sure you should be able to just capture it with any serial capture program and open the file later with the Logworks 3.0 program. Or I think Logworks will record it directly as well. It is a little akward to setup but better that trying to do three things at WOT.

A serial cable to a PC would work if you can keep it from shutting down.
          Datalog using LogWorks on your PC
          These LM-1 are older but very reliable; I have the LM-2 but it has problems with firmware if you want to be frustrated get the LM-2 else just stick with the LM-1. It records and allows replay using log works S/W you can down load the software for free..

you can also go more elaborate...................

There should be a tuning proceedure written for the CV's. It is a bit different from the standard one described by Factory Pro.

Here is some reference AFR info

Last edited by posplayr; 05-04-2011, 10:41 AM.

Comment

While it would be nice to log the data and have a chart in front of you, I have found that if you record the same run using a video camera on the same stretch of road at the same throttle position and then review the two videos and just watch the rpm vs AFR you can get a pretty good idea of what effects your changes had. Data logging would be better however if you have a camera and a way to mount it you should be able to get pretty close.

With the VM carbs when i would blip the throttle off idle it would yawn out. I thought that it was going lean because i was dropping the velocity of the air moving through the carb by opening the throat. I was surprised to see that I was going rich with the wideband hooked up. It was counter intuitive and a smaller set of pilots made it take throttle wonderfully.

The wideband is a invaluable tool!

I have a rich spot at 5500 that I can't get rid of. I'm beginning to think it may be because of my 4-1 pipe. I will post a video of it soon.

(i hope this isn't too hard to read just wrote it up quick before class.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
              While it would be nice to log the data and have a chart in front of you, I have found that if you record the same run using a video camera on the same stretch of road at the same throttle position and then review the two videos and just watch the rpm vs AFR you can get a pretty good idea of what effects your changes had. Data logging would be better however if you have a camera and a way to mount it you should be able to get pretty close.

With the VM carbs when i would blip the throttle off idle it would yawn out. I thought that it was going lean because i was dropping the velocity of the air moving through the carb by opening the throat. I was surprised to see that I was going rich with the wideband hooked up. It was counter intuitive and a smaller set of pilots made it take throttle wonderfully.

The wideband is a invaluable tool!

I have a rich spot at 5500 that I can't get rid of. I'm beginning to think it may be because of my 4-1 pipe. I will post a video of it soon.

(i hope this isn't too hard to read just wrote it up quick before class.)
              My conclusion from screwing with my ED, is that you pretty much need about 10-15 seconds of steady throttle to get a read on the AFR. I watch RPM, and Vacume along with AFR to get an idea of where I'm at.

I have a long hill (2 mile 6% grade) about 1/2 hour from me which allowed me to do a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and WOT run from the bottom of the hill before cresting the top. I start out in 3rd gear for example, hold 1/4 till it finds a maximum speed(hold 10 sec), roll off to indicate in the data that run, then slowly roll on to 1/2 and repeat the same process.

I carried a laptop with me so I could download the whole log file and view it. I was able to go back down to the bottom of the and redo to confirm the run.

Comment

I got my red DB gauge installed, and bought a cheap laptop with a serial port. Waiting for new battery for it.
                The red LED gauge is real hard to see in the daytime
                I am seeing the O2 drop below 12 with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, and mid 13's at cruise. High 13's at idle.
                No freaking way I could look down at it at full throttle/rpm
                Cool little tuning tool.

Comment

Update on the bike.

when i re-torqued the head after break in the front left cylinder stud had pulled out. When torquing the heads the first time I could feel something was not quite right here. I didn't drive the bike much after that but it is now leaking a lot of oil on a easy ride to the grocery store and back. I don't want to let it sit like this over winter and I want to be hittin' the nos again go i'm going to be fixing it. The bike also got the extended swing arm mounted up, but it appears that the arm may be tweaked. I'll post pictures up later and maybe you guys can tell me if i'm doing something wrong. When i put the swingarm on i added a few teeth to the rear sprocket. Can you say burnout wheelies???!!!

More to come.....

Comment

Working...
                  X