Nitrous street 1166

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84-86 1150.
    i'm only familiar with the steel shim gasket.

Comment

subscribed. haven't read through it all (studying for an Advanced Mechanics exam for tomorrow ) but it seems worth every update. Good luck!

Comment

Where did you get the info about the faulty tooling Jim?

Comment

Called and talked to Cometic regarding the MLS version of their gaskets for the 1166. They said that there was an issue causing the gaskets to leak but the problem has since been fixed. He said that the gaskets were re-designed and manufactured in November of 2009. My gasket came straight from Wiseco not from a parts distributer where it may be a defective NOS item. Hearing this I think I'm going to cross my fingers and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
            Called and talked to Cometic regarding the MLS version of their gaskets for the 1166. They said that there was an issue causing the gaskets to leak but the problem has since been fixed. He said that the gaskets were re-designed and manufactured in November of 2009. My gasket came straight from Wiseco not from a parts distributer where it may be a defective NOS item. Hearing this I think I'm going to cross my fingers and see what happens.
            it is very easy to tell from the embossement in the gasket. The defective MLS has the embossment on the low pressure oil return side instead of the high pressure side.

Last edited by posplayr; 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I guess i'm not sure where I'm looking. Where should I inspect the gasket? Can anything be determined looking at the pictures? I am in Milwaukee and wont be home, where the gaskets are, for a week.

Comment

I guess i'm not sure where I'm looking. Where should I inspect the gasket? Can anything be determined looking at the pictures? I am in Milwaukee and wont be home, where the gaskets are, for a week.

Comment

Old version MLS head gasket (photo courtesy of Posplayr)

New version MLS head gasket as of November of 2009 (mine)

Comment

Old version MLS head gasket (photo courtesy of Posplayr)

New version MLS head gasket as of November of 2009 (mine)

Nick,
                    When you have your head and cylinder surfaced make sure to instruct the machinist to insure that the surfaces are "very pretty". If not then you may have some seepage. If you need further clarification ask Big Jay from APE. He is an expert on the prettiness scale and can recommend to you how to make an appropriate assessment of degree of prettiness.
                    Jim

Comment

Quickly threw this to do list together - re-assembly will begin next Thursday

Comment

When you get this beauty together, are you planning on any trips to Union Grove? I have the same bike with a 1327 motor in it... I was up there 6 times and it is fun... Not sure if you are into the 1/4 mile thing... Anyway, if you need a extra set of hands for the rebuild on thursday, let me know.
                        I live close enough and am jealous of all the fun you are going to have...
                        Curt
                        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

What'd you run in the 1/4? I had my 700 to union grove.

Here's a cell phone video of it.
                          Me at the drag strip with my 1985 gs 700. My best run was 12.54 seconds at 103mph

I appreciate the offer Curt - my brother is going to be over helping as well as a friend from school. We're all into the bike scene and should be able to handle it. Thanks for the kind gesture though.

When I get her buttoned up maybe we can go on a ride/to the grove. Not sure if yours is a street bike.

Thanks!
                          Nick

Comment

Comment

I've been doing some thinking on jetting. I have 135 mains in now with smoothbore 33's on it.

Should I up-jet and adjust the needles after the 1166 kit and the porting?

More pictures to be uploaded in a minute..

Comment

Today we (brother, dad, and our friend Greg)

Removed the stock cylinder studs and installed APE studs
                                Conditioned the G4 cams - they came out really nice actually
                                removed old pistons
                                Installed rings on new 75mm pistons
                                installed pistons on rods
                                ran a tap through the threaded stud holes in the cases
                                installed new studs

we're getting ready to put the cylinder block on tomorrow. Everything is going super smooth so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X