'81 GS1000G Sensible Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS1000G Sensible Mods

As I have mentioned in another post, I have recently purchased an 81 1000 G. It was pretty well kept, but had some silly (IMHO) mods done to it. This thread will journal that rehab, along with some more sensible mods that I plan on doing along the way.

First on the agenda is replacing the stator and doing the Honda R/R upgrade. While I'm doing this I am going to attempt to address an oil leak. The leak is coming from the pan area. The area is covered with some type of epoxy, so I do not have a visual of the problem. I am hoping that it is just a bad gasket, I have ordered a new one. I have also ordered the hex bolt kit from Z-1. That'll fall under the sensible upgrade heading. Finally, under the why not while you're there category, I have ordered a new oil filter, o-ring, and spark plugs.

Today and tomorrow I will be doing the break down.

Upcoming to dos (not in order):
    Check valve clearances - have to triage spending on gasket or this would be happening now.
    Change all electrical connections - I don't like or trust the stock ones.
    Find original airbox
    Return to stock jetting - probably do a new cleaning and o-ring make over when I reach this point
    figure out what the PO did to the pipes - removed baffles?
    retune carbs
    Replace Break lines -
    New handle grips
    New handle bars -

This should take the whole summer to finish at which point I'll bring the entire maintenance schedule up to date.

I am also going to keep a log of time and money spent on this project.

Cycleworld Cherry hill
    GASKET,OIL PAN $9.90
    O RING $4.41
    total 15.31
    Z-1
    Plugs
    filter
    bolts
    stator gasket
    total 47.65
    Auto Zone
    Battery (think I'm going to return this) 50.00
    Bike 600.00
    insurance 75.
    Tags & Title 140

Total: $927.96
    Time: 0000 Hours

Have fun. Doing the same stuff and more to restore my old GS1100GL.

Comment

After a birthday and a couple days recovering from that, and waiting for deliveries I have some updates.

Parts from bottom left. Bob Barr's o-ring kit, Stator gasket, Z1 bolt kit, plugs and oil filter, duanage stator and R/R.

Got the pipes and battery box off the bike. Was making good progress till I hit monday and had some medical problems.

need to pick up anti-seize, 4 quarts of oil, carb dip. Sunday and Monday are going to be really nice here. Going to try to have it running again by then. And continue the work while the bike is in a running condition.

New cost:
      o-ring kit 25.10
      mics parts - 50.00

Total 1,003.06
      Hours - 0002. hours
      Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

New R/R is installed. While dealing with and oil leak I found metal chunks in the oil pan, that issue is being addressed here.

I will not be able to reassemble until I figure out what that metal came from. So no riding for me for a while. Gunning to have it back up and running by May 6th, we will have to see if the weather cooperates with me.

Getting the stator cover off was a little more work than I thought it would be, I got help with that here.

One of the sprockets in there was loose. The pin that holds it all together came off with the cover. I'll start a thread on that when I start putting it back together. I need to rethink my whole plan of attack. I'm not sure if I should just do a whole engine rebuild while I have it this taken apart. What would you do?

Thank to duaneage for turning me on to Harbor Freight. I haven't been that excited in a store since I was a kid walking into Toys R Us.

Impact Driver & mics tools $20

Total 1,023.06
        Hours - 0005. hours

Comment

Fun project,do you something to ride while your bike is down?

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

I do not, I got this one cause it was a good price... Looks like I may have gotten what I paid for. Not really sure how to proceed.

Comment

Why so much for the oring kit?
              Old bikes are always like that - everytime you take one apart you find five problems you didn't even know existed in parts you've never given a minute of thought. They'll nickle and dime you to death. But at least you like putting a wrench to them - right?
              -1980 GS1100 LT
              -1975 Honda cb750K
              -1972 Honda cl175
              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I got the intake oring and SS bolts along with the orings...

I do actually enjoy doing the work, its my lack of knowledge and money that upset me...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                  Why so much for the oring kit?
                  What is so expensive about $4.41 for an o-ring kit?

Try pricing the OEM o-rings, instead.

My question about expenses is "how much is registration in PA?"
                  You have "tags and title 140".
                  Here in oHIo, the title is $11 or 12, that leaves about ... $130 for tags???

I thought the $43 in oHIo was bad.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

the 4.41 was for the oil filter oring... the bob barr collector kit was 25, I think thats what he was talking about.

As far as the T&T, I was shocked as well. I don't remember paying that much the last time, but my memory is not good, so who knows.

Comment

Nice looking bike you have there. Same model and color as mine. Good luck finding what caused the metal chunks.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I hope you can get the airbox at a reasonable price.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I may have an airbox to sell cheap. Needs new rubber on both sides though..

Also, you have a pic of the metal chunks you found?? Could be spring bits from the starter clutch.. They are somewhat notorious for self destructing. Ask me how I know

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

My question about expenses is "how much is registration in PA?"
                            Here in oHIo, the title is $11 or 12, that leaves about ... $130 for tags???

I thought the $43 in oHIo was bad.

Better question is: When's the last time YOU registered a vehicle in Ohio??

Title will cost 7.5% (maybe its 7%) now of the purchase price, plus fees.
                            Tags are around $60ish..

The title is what gets ya.. Unless of course your seller doesnt mind if YOU fill the selling price in... but that's not exactly on the up and up either

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              I may have an airbox to sell cheap. Needs new rubber on both sides though..

Also, you have a pic of the metal chunks you found?? Could be spring bits from the starter clutch.. They are somewhat notorious for self destructing. Ask me how I know
                              I think I'm going to hold off on doing the restore the way I wanted with the original airbox and all because that loot is now going to have to go into fixing whatever it is that blasted apart. Job interview tomorrow though, so that could change too.

pics of shrapnel below

Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X