No announcement yet.

'81 GS1000G Sensible Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

huh... You pulled the stator cover off yet?? Looks like it COULD be possibly part of the rotor/starter clutch...but then again it looks like part of the cases too (the light coloured piece anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      huh... You pulled the stator cover off yet?? Looks like it COULD be possibly part of the rotor/starter clutch...but then again it looks like part of the cases too (the light coloured piece anyway)
      I have pulled the stator cover. the only thing that was odd in there was the pin came off with the cover, but that clymer book said that happens. Nothing looked mangled or disrupted. Also, the darker pieces look more bronze or brass irl, flickr downsizing them makes them appear darker.

Comment

Originally posted by detorn View Post
        I have pulled the stator cover. the only thing that was odd in there was the pin came off with the cover, but that clymer book said that happens. Nothing looked mangled or disrupted. Also, the darker pieces look more bronze or brass irl, flickr downsizing them makes them appear darker.
        hrmm.. Dunno anything made of brass in there...

Comment

Well I bought that nice bolt kit from Z-1, so now is as good as time as any to start breaking it down till I find the culprit switching out the bolts in the mean time. then I can cry for help again as I am rebuilding. lol

Quick question for all, as of right now the tank still has gas in it. Would it be better to drain it or leave it in there? Also, since the oil is now out, do I have to worry about clutch plates or anything else getting messed up while its dry? between getting loot for parts then waiting for them to arrive, I'm thinking this is going to take some time. What are the best storing options?

Comment

Some of the pieces in your post #15 look EXACTLY like they are parts of
            number 3 in this picture. And the larger black plastic pieces are part of number 11.

I know from personal experience because I found them in one of my engines.

I found another engine to build.

Daniel

Comment

I found bits of part #3 in my 1100 engine a while back. I already had the cases apart to fix the tranny so it was an easy repair. I don't know if your bits look exactly like it since I recall it being a very thin bit of aluminum - your chunk looks much thicker.
              Again going by memory; but I think the only metal on #11 is a stamped steel piece that wraps around the bottom and takes the bolt on top. Are you sure those darker chunks are metallic?

I keep thinking it has to be cam chain related, though.
              Last edited by Tom R; 04-19-2011, 04:22 AM.
              -1980 GS1100 LT
              -1975 Honda cb750K
              -1972 Honda cl175
              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                Why so much for the oring kit?
                Old bikes are always like that - everytime you take one apart you find five problems you didn't even know existed in parts you've never given a minute of thought. They'll nickle and dime you to death. But at least you like putting a wrench to them - right?
                Bike: $500~1,500
                Anticipated repairs: $500
                Unanticipated repairs: $1,000
                Finally riding it after all of the above: Priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                  Bike: $500~1,500
                  Anticipated repairs: $500
                  Unanticipated repairs: $1,000
                  Finally riding it after all of the above: Priceless!
                  Bike: $500
                  Gas to get it: $100
                  Parts: $700
                  Still not done
                  Missing thunder beach in PC: bummer

Comment

Working...
                  X