1982 GS 650 GL Bobber build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 650 GL Bobber build

Well, it's been a very slow start, but I wanted to get this thread going because I've started to work on this heavily, and would like to have a single place to document it all.

This is a 1982 GS650 GL that was gifted to me by my father. I used to have a 1978 Yamaha XS650, but had to get rid of it.

Anyways, on to the goodness. It has 28K miles on it, all of the electronics work on it and it is structurally sound.

It's going to be a whatever the hell it ends up being when I'm done, lol. I found these really awesome bullet trailer lights that will be used for brake and turn signals. They look like old school caddy bullet lights, except they are $3.00 new The seat will be reused but I'm getting the padding changed to be lower profile.

Right now I am having a hell of a time with the carbs, but I have new o-rings, main and pilot jets and intake boot o-rings coming, so I'm hoping to get it all sealed up and running strong soon.

Anyways, I just wanted to get this thread going so I can document the build
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM.

Awesome, will be following with interest.

Comment

Thank you!

These are going to be used as turn signals and mounted to the top bolt of the shocks on each side, unless I find a better place when I'm actually installing them. This one is going to be used as a brake light and will be mounted on the side of a bike on a horizontal tag mount connected to the left side lower shock bolt.

Comment

Small update.

Took the carbs off to go through them, change all the o-rings and check to see what it's running as far as needle jet, main jet etc etc.

I found something that was discouraging, but manageable in carb #1:

So, I'm going through the other carbs and getting them cleaned up and painted up a bit. I'll worry about that carb last, I'm either going to try to fix it, or hopefully I can find a replacement body.

Here's how the carbs are going to look:

Both gangplanks are going to be painted as well.

The carbs have:

122.5 main jet
        150 air jet
        5C45 (It has no grooves, and is not tapered) jet needle
        42.5 pilot jet

I have no idea where this puts me running Ape pods, and modified stock exhaust. I'm going to cut the stock mufflers off since they are rattling and worn out, and run some shorty mufflers.

Anyone have any input on whats in the carb?

Comment

Carbs are all cleaned up, just waiting on a new #4 body. Also going to be replacing all the remaining original hardware with newer stuff.

Comment

#4 carb body is on it's way from Ohio, thank you BlowerBike!

Got the intake boots cleaned up, replaced the orings and put them back on with stainless steel hex head bolts from cycleorings. Good stuff. Although it was a bitch getting the boots off initially.

Took the front and rear fender off and their going out for sandblasting tomorrow so I can paint over the chrome.

Ordered some new micro LED turn signals, clubman bars, bar end mirrors, new grips, and an axle mounted license plate holder and brake light.

After all of this, cutting off the hagard mufflers and going with some shorty muffler, a stage three jet kit and Ape pods.

Can someone tell me what a good starting baseline for the air screw in the carbs is? 5 turns from the bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
              #4 carb body is on it's way from Ohio, thank you BlowerBike!

Got the intake boots cleaned up, replaced the orings and put them back on with stainless steel hex head bolts from cycleorings. Good stuff. Although it was a bitch getting the boots off initially.

Took the front and rear fender off and their going out for sandblasting tomorrow so I can paint over the chrome.

Ordered some new micro LED turn signals, clubman bars, bar end mirrors, new grips, and an axle mounted license plate holder and brake light.

After all of this, cutting off the hagard mufflers and going with some shorty muffler, a stage three jet kit and Ape pods.

Can someone tell me what a good starting baseline for the air screw in the carbs is? 5 turns from the bottom?
              I always set fuel mixture screws at 2½ turns out to start. If I have to back them out past 3½ turns then I go up a size on the pilot jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                I always set fuel mixture screws at 2½ turns out to start. If I have to back them out past 3½ turns then I go up a size on the pilot jet.
                Thank you!

Pretty excited; this is what I have on the way:

Shinko 230 front and rear V rated tires
                New Uni Filters (cheaper and from my research are good pods)
                clubman bars
                Dynojet Stage three
                New grips
                Fenders are off being media blasted/ prepared for paint
                Micro led turn signals (front and rear)
                Axle mount license holder w/cateye brake light
                12" shorty mufflers (cutting off the stock mufflers, as they are rusted out on the bottoms and getting thin in spots)
                seat is going off this week to be re upholstered with about 1.5" foam and aged black faux leather

Colorado CJ's thread, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=172835 , has been a huge inspiration for me. I went with the mufflers and clubmans because of his build.

Spent a lot of money, can't wait to get it all in

I'll be having some juicy updates here soon.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Also, just ordered green 3.0 ohm Dyna coils, NGK resister boots, red plug wires and NGK plugs. This things gonna run like a champ when it's all done

Comment

Great...I just tried to register the bike, and the dumbass PO gave me a voided title. Apparantly he had one reprinted, and gave me the older one.

Gotta get this situated quick!

Comment

If anyone is keeping count, add these to the list:

NGK Plugs
                      Green Dyna Coils
                      NGK Resistor boots

Shinko 230 front and rear V rated tires
                      New Uni Filters (cheaper and from my research are good pods)
                      clubman bars
                      Dynojet Stage three
                      New grips
                      Fenders are off being media blasted/ prepared for paint
                      Micro led turn signals (front and rear)
                      Axle mount license holder w/cateye brake light
                      12" shorty mufflers (cutting off the stock mufflers, as they are rusted out on the bottoms and getting thin in spots)
                      seat is going off this week to be re upholstered with about 1.5" foam and aged black faux leather
                      I gotta stop spending money! haha

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                        Great...I just tried to register the bike, and the dumbass PO gave me a voided title. Apparantly he had one reprinted, and gave me the older one.

Gotta get this situated quick!
                        This is proving to be a huge issue.

I cannot track down the PO. I've done everything. I dunno what to do, short of buying a titled parts bike and swapping frames...

Comment

why not just go through a title bonding agency, they will charge you but its better than having to buy another bike. the last title i ran through an agency cost me 75 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by brandon25 View Post
                            why not just go through a title bonding agency, they will charge you but its better than having to buy another bike. the last title i ran through an agency cost me 75 bucks
                            Let me better explain the situation:

My Dad's best friends son (we'll call him Bill), bought the bike from the guy in question in this thread. "Bill" had NO BUSINESS buying a bike like this, even though it's a good bike, it needs TLC (it's 30 years old after all), and Bill's kind of an idiot and doesn't want to learn. Anyways, "Bill" let the bike sit at my dads house, in his garage for a long, long time. I got pretty tired of seeing it sit there, and got "Bill" to hand me the keys with the title, and since he was going away to Cali for basic, he didn't really mind. "Bill" is also pretty irresponsible. He never dated nor signed the title that the PO gave him, nor attempted to get the bike registered, so he never knew that the title was invalid.

So, when I went to register it on Wednesday, they told me my title is invalid because a newer title had be reprinted by the PO (the guy before Bill) which renders any titles before that one, void. I guess he gave Bill the wrong title.

There's a whole bunch of retard involved in this story.

You're telling me there's a way around this?

Comment

I don't know about florida but in iowa you can register it by taking the bin off and registering it as a custom pending you pass a judges inspection

Comment

Working...
                              X