1982 GS 650 GL Bobber build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Oh, then what is the other air jet in the intake ?

the brass insert on the left hand side?
    that is the PILOT air jet (that I was previusly referring to by mistake ). it stays as it is.
    GS850GT

Comment

Gotcha, thank you psyguy, you've been a huge help.

Just remembered I ordered literally everything else concerning the ignition and fuel systems, accept the petcock. Just ordered on it's on the way

Comment

one other thing I thought you won't know without having the dj instructions is that they call for the pilot mixture screws to be set at 4 1/2 turns out
        GS850GT

Comment

Dynojet kit is installed, float height is adjusted, and carbs are bench synced. Heading over to where the bike is shortly for a test run. Can't wait!

Comment

Ignition is installed:

Comment

Okay off subject a little bit but what part of Lakeland are you in? I am from Zolfo Springs originally. Was just curious.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                Okay off subject a little bit but what part of Lakeland are you in? I am from Zolfo Springs originally. Was just curious.

Paul
                South side, right outside of Bartow

Comment

Finally broke down and bought a damn digital caliper. I was trying to set the float height with a metric slide ruler and it wasn't working out.

Comment

It seems the digital caliper was the magic I needed. I cannot believe that float level makes that big of a difference after the bike get's warmed up. It went from not being able to run at all after it warms up to idling and revving perfectly.

FINALLY got it running, so I can focus on other things with it now.

Also, this is with the slides being drilled to large. I think the hesitation coming down from rev is from the slides.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Just seeing how it sounds with no mufflers before I put the shorty mufflers on.

Open exhaust, just wanted to see how she sounded

Comment

I kind of thought there'd be more interest, lol. I brought a basically dead GS back to life!

I'm proud of myself nonetheless, considering this is my first build

Anyways, it is now running like a champ. I know I probably need to dick around with the needle and fine tune the carbs, but I drove it around for about 30 minutes today. It only had some very minor popping on decel, but it doesn't have mufflers on it yet, hopefully getting those welded on tomorrow (it's Memorial Day, every shop I called was closed).

Things done so far:

Carbs cleaned and dipped, orings changed. Dynojet Stage 3 installed. I still need to fill in the slides and redrill them, but I think I'm going to wait on that for now.

Dynatek 3.0 ohm coils and 7mm wires installed, NGK resistor boots and plugs installed. I bought two sets of the 2021 NGK plugs, so I'm going to put in the second set after I finish fine tuning everything with the carbs.

Front and rear fenders are off getting media blasted (dude is dragging ass, gotta get on him about that) and turn signals are being replaced with all LEDs.

Clubman bars (should be, they were shipped almost two weeks ago! ) are on the way, will have those on soon.

:EDIT:

Does anyone know where I can get the upper shock mount bolt? Mine is missing and I can't find it on Z1.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Here's how it is sitting now:

Comment

LoL. Sometimes you hit on what tweeks peeps interest enough to respond other times they just like to read what you have been doing. Feel good to have her up and running? Takes some rides around the lake over by Florida Southern and check out all the nice ladies running around the lake. Now you need to make it pretty so they will want to ride with ya....LoL. Cosmetics in my opinion is the fun part making it look the way you want that satisfies your taste. Whats the plan?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                              LoL. Sometimes you hit on what tweeks peeps interest enough to respond other times they just like to read what you have been doing. Feel good to have her up and running? Takes some rides around the lake over by Florida Southern and check out all the nice ladies running around the lake. Now you need to make it pretty so they will want to ride with ya....LoL. Cosmetics in my opinion is the fun part making it look the way you want that satisfies your taste. Whats the plan?

Paul
                              Haha...Who doesn't like driving around Lake Hollingsworth and checking out the runners?

The plan...well, initially I was wanting to do a bobber thing, but due to this going to be my daily driver, I wanted practicality. Hopefully I can find another GS or a CB for that project later on.

Right now, I just want it black and loud, haha.

Comment

Got the shorty mufflers on...really digging them!

Just got the 12" shorty mufflers welded to adapters and then bolted to the stock head pipe. I'm using some ugly car exhaust clamps right now, but those will ...

They sound great, are loud but not obnoxious and look great! Now, to order better exhaust clamps and black heat wrap

Going with these clamps: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/4400240
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X