No announcement yet.

'82 650L Refurb/Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, after doing a bunch of research while compiling my shopping list I noticed this. Thanks cowboyup. I'm going with new ones anyway just because they've never been replaced.

Only work on the bike I did today was tearing down the carbs so I can clean them tomorrow at work. Had the day off but we were in a heat advisory and was horrifically hot out...

Few questions for anyone with an answer;
    1.) Know of a thread related to building a custom exhaust?
    2.) What springs would you recommend for the clutch?
    3.) After installing drag bars I've dealt with my clutch cable being too long, anyway to shorten it or must I purchase a new one?
    4.) ????
    5.) PROFIT!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2011, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Ordered a bunch of parts today, mostly replacement gaskets and such, carb rebuild kit, so on and so forth.

Here's a comparison of a clean and dirty carb. They really weren't that bad before, but now they're pretty nice.

Had some help while I was tearing them down, haha!

Today is my birthday so even though it's a day off as well I won't be getting much work on the bike done . Anyway, been talking to a friend about converting the rear suspension to a mono-shock. I like this idea very much, and can't wait to work on designing some mounts to see how plausible this could be.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2011, 12:53 AM.

Comment

A shaft driven mono-shock will be interesting. Not sure if it will work but I'm in for this one.

Comment

Sorry to say not much work has been done, been working overtime at the shop and when I do have free time I try to find time to see the better half who is living in another city at the moment.

Carbs are complete and ready for paint and I've been working on the engine some. I've started a separate thread but if anyone has information on engine stands it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try and post some progress pics soon.

Comment

Looking forward to it...

Comment

Here's the after work accomplishment on the bike. Almost a 10 hour day at work, a splitting headache and juggling with a sunroof repair while taking these beauts off was certainly a trying day. Lets all give thanks for a nice cold brew!

Comment

Straightened out the workspace to be more productive. Finally got the engine up on the bench as well. Id like to figure some way to rig it to a cheap HF engine stand though.

And here's the workspace. It's much roomier than it looks, and it's still only a quarter of the garage space.

Pretty much have everything loosened on the frame and ready to come off tomorrow for a bare frame. Now that I have table space the engine tear down will be started as well.

Comment

Hope this isn't considered bumping a dead thread, ha. It's been... quite... some time since my last post. The rebuild is still in progress, albeit slowly. Very busy scheduling and having moved twice prevented me from working on it much, but we are finally back in action!

I'll be updating this very soon with some pictures.

Comment

It's only been 15 months between posts! Glad to see that you are carrying on rather than dumping it in your moves!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, it's my first bike and I'm not sure if I could ever give up on it or let it go.

Here's where I'm at. I've got the majority of parts on the way for the engine rebuild, and I'm currently prepping for paint. The dilemma; powder coating or high temp. enamel?

Comment

Top end and various parts:

Started cataloging and breaking down wiring harness.

Also did some sanding work on peg plates and carb bowls and tops.
                        Thinking media blasting will be easiest for carb bodies. Anyone have an opinion or recommendation on this? Type of media to use?

Comment

I showed those pics to my bike to remind it what would happen if it misbehaved- boxes of parts destined for CL !
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Destined for CL!

Maybe since mine is an only child I let it get away with a lot, ha

Comment

Decided to try soda blasting first. Might as well use a softer media first and if I need something more abrasive can go from there. Going to avoid glass media though, I've seen comments about how the impact fragments and can embed in softer aluminum metals. Crate of parts to blast;

Blasting as well;

Labeled bags of all small parts, including bolts and nuts.

Got class all day tomorrow than Friday I hope to set up the soda blasting conversion kit to my abrasive blaster. Inline dryer as well to avoid that pesky moisture!

Added note, friend picked this up for a steal today. Turns over, doesn't run; $160 USD. Excited to see him start on this project. It'll be like having a work out buddy, motivation!
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2013, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Received two boxes of goodies. Gaskets and other various parts. Got the blaster all set up for the next day off and most of the jet kit installed.... Can't get the snap ring out to change the needle jets...

Taking them into work to see if anyone has some SR pliers that'll reach. Mine are too thick or not thin enough at the tips...

Comment

Working...
                                X