1979 GS850 cleanup/rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 cleanup/rebuild

Hello all, I'd like to start my own little project thread, some of my pictures and info is already in my introduction post, but its a bit strange to keep posting there to update pictures

I picked up a '79 GS850 recently and right now the bike is spread all over my garage

Things done so far:
    - Took bike apart, frame and other black parts are off to be sandblasted/coated...black again of course.
    - Checked the engine, good compression, no need to rebuild it completely yet
    - Polished up engine parts, painted the valve cover
    - Front forks polished, new seals, oil
    - Brake calipers rebuilt, repainted rear brake caliper
    - found a seat, 4-2 exhaust and front fender

Today I picked up a nice donor bike, guy who sold it said it would not "go"
    it looks like someone left it outside for a long time...in the rain
    Didnt have time to properly look at it.

I'll upload my pics to a google web album, so they will stay up for a long time..

Todays pics:

Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2011, 05:26 AM.

Interesting project. What type of shocks are fitted with the rubber spring covers?

That fairing looks quite decent too. It's the first one that I would consider fitting to mine, if I was that way inclined. Most large ones make a GS look geeky. Do you know what it came off?

looks like you scored well with the donor bike too. Keep documenting your progress.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
      Interesting project. What type of shocks are fitted with the rubber spring covers?

That fairing looks quite decent too. It's the first one that I would consider fitting to mine, if I was that way inclined. Most large ones make a GS look geeky. Do you know what it came off?

looks like you scored well with the donor bike too. Keep documenting your progress.
      Its standard shocks, the black covers were added later on as protection. They worked well, no damages that can rip a new seal. Unfortunately, they guided all the moisture inside the covers directly onto the spring that keeps the seal in place . Fairing is a Vetter Windjammer. Looks good on the outside, but cracked on the inside...got another one for free, cracked on the outside, looks good on the inside

I'll fix the bike without fairing first, so I can ride it...then make a wooden mount for the fairing and work on that as a separate project. Also looking for matching Vetter cases.

Comment

what type of exhaust is that? not the 4 into 1 but the shinny 2 into 1's that you have.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          what type of exhaust is that? not the 4 into 1 but the shinny 2 into 1's that you have.
          It looks like a Motad exhaust!

You guys overseas got the much cooler paint jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            its a BSM exhaust.. http://www.bsm-exhausts.com/images/prodsheet/4016.pdf

Comment

Wow that in a nice looking engine. I also really like the seat on your donor bike. It's quite nice looking. I love my 850G and I'm glad to see one getting the attention it deserves!

I'll be following this build

Comment

I am along for the ride on this one to, having owned two 850's I have a soft spot for them, and agree, it is good to see this one getting the attention and care it deserves.

Comment

Well, I managed to get the parts bike up and running...took 5 mins for a new battery and the choke wasnt working properly. Here's the Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKznPzDV21U It does not sound very healthy though...old gasoline, dirty carbs and whatnot. Im not going to ride that and trust my life to it

I like that seat too, its a bit sporty and has Suzuki name and logo fabricated into the seat...Brand is Giuliari .. made in Italy, name sounds familiar Underside is plastic, but cracked and repaired, but looks like a "quick repair"

Dont know how ppl know, but I already got someone whos asking for parts. Im a bit hesitant to sell parts right now, I dont want to sell and then come up short myself, that would be silly

Frame came back from the sandblast/coat company, looks good. Its some kind of special paint they also use on boats, very tough. sandblasting all parts, primer and topcoat was $150, not too bad I think.
                  Pictures:

Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM. Reason: added pics

Comment

Hello Folks,

It was a busy week, work work work, but managed to do a few things.
                    Building up takes a lot of time and since this is my first serious project, I am amazed how quickly some of you work and how good some projects look.

here's the pic of the buildup so far...

Have a good weekend !

Comment

Well, im still waiting for some gaskets, but I am already thinking about putting the engine back into the frame...I said thinking, maybe I should say worrying...

Any tips on how to join frame and engine without breaking my back AND keep the coating on the frame undamaged?

Comment

Hello all, I managed to do some things on the bike, when it was raining and other activities were put on hold... After much thinking I managed to put the engine back into the frame using straps and a motor lift. It worked great, I had to work slowly and check the clearance a lot, but I got it in without lifting it myself.

Just when I thought I was quite a good mechanic I discovered that I forgot the rubber protection sleeve between the engine and the shaft

Anyway, long story short: its 3:15 am now, everyone is asleep and finally I got my engine in properly WITH the rubber thingy
                        I just HAD to redo it and get it done before sleep

Here's the pics:

Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Looking fantastic! How did you get that final drive to sparkle? Nice.

Daniel

Comment

Hey, good to see more Europeans joining the site ... and good work there!

That 4-2 exhaust looks interesting. How available are they and what do they sell for, if you know?

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post

You guys overseas got the much cooler paint jobs.
                            FC, I agree, I think the USA market got rather understated paint schemes...
                            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Digitus View Post
                              Any tips on how to join frame and engine without breaking my back AND keep the coating on the frame undamaged?
                              "Lay the bike on the side" seems by far the easiest method.
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X