1983 GPz750 (sorry, not a GS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GPz750 (sorry, not a GS)

Back around 2003 I had an 81 KZ-750E. It was a nice town bike, lightweight, short wheelbase, peppy. I wanted a road bike so I looked for a liter bike. I ended up with my GS which I like just fine. But I came across this 83 GPz. It was in the middle of nowhere Illinois, rode nice but had no power compared to my KZ. It had some bling, some farkles and some nice bits. It also had a brand new, in the box Wiseco 810cc kit. He accepted my offer and it followed me home. Some things happened, I ended up building a car engine and then going thru the GS (the usual, full electrical rework, intake rubber replaced, brakes, tires, etc. I finally got around to the GPz, installed the 810 kit, tried a 6 speed from a 550 (which did not work out) then reinstalled the factory 5 speed. Less than 200 miles after I got it running I popped the transmission. I knew it was my fault so it sat a bit longer. With the fine assistance of bwringer and LarryD we got it running again.
    Here is a pic of it sitting in my garage, still under work.

It is a black engine, so lots of painting was in order.
    I rebuilt the carbs; they are significantly different from the GS carbs, even though they are Mikuni BS34s. A DynoJet Stage 3 kit is installed, along with K&N pods:

Head was reworked by Pearson Racing in Ohio. Paint by me:

Sanding the edges to give it the factory appearance:

I assembled the engine cases so many times I feel I could do it blindfolded (long story):

Accel supercoils and wires:

Comment

After I popped the trans, we pulled the engine, turned it upside down and surveyed the damage:

Note the slight damage to a couple of the gears. I forgot to install a cotter pin, of all things. Sigh.

LarryD (right) and bwringer hard at work:

They did a fine job, but I had one gasket that leaked. I just got it in last night from PartShark. I'll take more pics when I get it back on the road and show some more of the bling, farkles and tasty bits.

Comment

Looks like a good bike!

Comment

Fairly low miles for an 83:

MotoBatt battery, dual relays in parallel:

Relays power the Blue Sea fuse block, which currently powers the coils and the battery health wire:

Installed a fully adjustable Gixxer shock. This is the remote reservoir:

Here she is a bwringer's place, getting new shoes. Sport Demons did not come in the correct size for the rear, so I went with Avon RoadRiders:

Comment

Sharp looking bike. I had a 85 750 Turbo model a few years ago that I restored. It was a fun bike to ride, but a ill handling bike. Sent forks to GMD Computrac in Boston , and installed a Penski shock with a #700 spring[ I'm fat] and it helped some but I was never happy with handling, Ran a Metzeler lazer front tire and a ME 1 Metzeler on the rear . I believe that the problem is in the Swing arm mount as being to small for the forces it is put under during sport riding. Also the back bone on the turbo frame is reinforced from the factory on late 84 and 85 models. Oh by the way I have another transmission in a parts bike if you need it send me a PM.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Powder coated lower fork tubes and wheels, stainless steel brake lines:

Period correct kerker pipe and can:

Finally, I get a luggage rack (and tiny backrest):

Things that don't show (or I failed to take pics of):
              Barnett clutch springs (clutch feel is very good, could be due to lubing the cable)
              Head milled 0.030
              cam sprockets slotted, cams degreed (thanks Brian for the math)
              Progressive Suspension fork springs
              EBC brake pads
              Ninja igniter has better advance curve and rev limiter
              Tested muffler packed and unpacked. 10dB difference, so it will stay packed.
              Float levels on carbs were incorrect, probably source of low power. PO told me he could never get it jetted correctly. He had 135 mains in it; it runs good now with 175s but will check when I put the wideband on it to tune the carbs.

Comment

That is beautiful. Get the clutch banded yet?

Comment

Thanks for the recognition George, but, you and Brian did the work, I just came over and hung out for awhile. I did enjoy the little bit of wrench turning I did do though.

Nice picture of my bald head....btw....
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Beautiful! It may not be a GS, but it's a 750. All GPz's are sweet.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

sweet looking bike

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                        That is beautiful. Get the clutch banded yet?
                        Yes do that I had forgotten that I had to do that on the Turbo bike spreads the basket right out if you don't and you ride it hard.
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I love GPz's and regret selling mine. Yours looks very nice. Show us some more pics!

Comment

First, thank you for the comments. I appreciate them.
                            Second, JR, I am working the banding issue. The only machinist I found that was willing to do the work is in Ohio. The added cost of shipping back and forth is killing me, so I may drop it off when I am around Dayton later in the year. I'm still breaking it in, so I won't be doing any hard runs until I dial in the mains with my wideband, which won't be for another 300 miles.
                            Third, I am fighting an oil leak. It appears to be coming from the transmission cover, somewhere at the front. Still fighting it:

It is the silver cover behind the sprocket. It appears to be above the green wire, at the front of the cover. It currently has a brand new OEM gasket with Ultra Copper on both sides of the gasket, and still leaks. If anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated.
                            Lastly, I just received my stripe kit from apegraphics: http://www.rddecals.afegraphics.com/...FullKit-K00922
                            I just provided the link since the ones I received are covered on both sides. I hope to have a GSR member help me with these, as they are not in my range of experience. I also found a discount coupon on the web for a bit of savings from retail. After the re-striping I will be taking some nice side pics, with a (hopefully) nice backdrop. I really need a quality photographer like Bob up near Chicago, as neither my camera nor my skills are really up to the task.
                            But I have to fix the oil leak before I can even ride it, so I am stymied for the time being.

Comment

Nice job on the bike but the aluminum can isnt period correct to me. I still have my 82 GPZ750 I bought new with the RC 4-1 I bought for it in 83 and its more like an old Kerker, all steel & all black although chrome was available but didnt go with the black theme of the bike. Nothing wrong with what you have though.

Comment

Working...
                              X