No announcement yet.

1983 GPz750 (sorry, not a GS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate your response. The pipe and the jet kit came from the PO. Since the jet kit is labeled Kerker Stage 5, I suspect he purchased the pipe and jet kit as a set. Since they went out of business in 91 (Sold to SuperTrapp IIRC) I assume he purchased it before then. I then had to research the jet kit and found all the parts to be identical to the DynoJet Stage 3 kit. I had the receipts where he ordered the extra jets, and they were in the mid-80s.
    To be honest, IDK. I was riding a XS650E at the time, which I found to be an excellent bike.

Comment

GS's and GPz's belong together!

Comment

Very nice 82. Looks clean. Almost makes me want to put the stock pipes back on.

I found the oil leak. Well, LarryD found it. There is a hairline crack in the case just above the silver cover. JB-Weld is curing as I type. If it works I will be riding the track lap at the Indy MotoGP Monday morning.

Comment

The koolaid_kid stable

Well, I put some JB-Weld on the crack and it seems to be holding for now. I researched and those who are supposed to know recommend aluminum epoxy. I could not find any locally and I want to ride on the Indy MotoGP track Monday morning, so I patched it and ordered the aluminum epoxy via the web.
          This is a shot of my current vehicles:

Silver 03 Focus SE (dd)
          97 Pontiac Firebird
          83 GPz 750
          83 GS1100E
          Purely by accident that I have 3 red vehicles; I suspect my next one will be anything but red. But here they are:

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Purely by accident that I have 3 red vehicles; I suspect my next one will be anything but red.
            Who in the world would own three red vehicles...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I like it bob. I wish I could fit in a Miata, I would like to put my turbo 350 in one for a bit of fun.

Comment

She is broken in

How she sits now:

TTD (Things To Do):
                Retorque head
                Adjust valves
                Install 12V adapter for LM-1 Wideband
                Make practice run, analyze data and verify operation
                Use wideband to dial in main jets

She is almost there, I can almost taste it.

Comment

How she sits now:

TTD (Things To Do):
                  Retorque head
                  Adjust valves
                  Install 12V adapter for LM-1 Wideband
                  Make practice run, analyze data and verify operation
                  Use wideband to dial in main jets

She is almost there, I can almost taste it.
                  Geez George can't ya just ride the damn thing and quit fiddling with it? (oh my...I think I've heard those exact words spoken to me before by my loving wife! )

Seriously, it's a fine piece of weaponry ya have there, and thanks for letting me take it for a spin this weekend. It sure felt nimble and aggressive. I still say you need to take the ZRX out...it's only "as much bike" as you allow it to be with that meat hammer of a right hand of yours
                  And thanks for the glove swap! I'm glad those Teknics fit you. They were a little big for me, but I needed new gloves bad and for $30 I was willing to live with it, but in the end the ones you swapped me fit better and the ones I swapped you fit you...period. Lol.
                  And you can't have a different colour bike! You'll have to buy all new gear. Unless it's black maybe...

Comment

I like the way you apparently have to keep it at 7000 RPM to maintain 14 volts.
                    Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    Who in the world would own three red vehicles...
                    Nobody in his right mind, of course.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Geez George can't ya just ride the damn thing and quit fiddling with it? (oh my...I think I've heard those exact words spoken to me before by my loving wife! )

Seriously, it's a fine piece of weaponry ya have there, and thanks for letting me take it for a spin this weekend. It sure felt nimble and aggressive. I still say you need to take the ZRX out...it's only "as much bike" as you allow it to be with that meat hammer of a right hand of yours
                      And thanks for the glove swap! I'm glad those Teknics fit you. They were a little big for me, but I needed new gloves bad and for $30 I was willing to live with it, but in the end the ones you swapped me fit better and the ones I swapped you fit you...period. Lol.
                      And you can't have a different colour bike! You'll have to buy all new gear. Unless it's black maybe...
                      Yeah, I know, I have a TTD list for every vehicle I own, even the ones that run fine.
                      I pulled a plug this evening and it is almost perfect.
                      The 12V adapter is installed and tested; a 5A fuse was fine for the LM-1. So as soon as I get it back together it is off to the tuning garage I go. Once the mains are done the needle will be a snap. I can't wait until I can have a reasonable bike that will point me to the moon when I request it.
                      And thanks, it is the weight and wheelbase differences that I notice the most. My GS feels like a broadsword, the GPz a rapier. I ordered some 10W fork oil today; as soon as Brian has recovered from the MotoGP we will tackle the forks. And probably up a click in the rear, it may be a bit too plush. Having a suspension expert in the same city is certainly a boon.
                      We will do the ZXR/GPx swap as soon as it is tuned and we meet up again. I can handle that hoss of a 1100E, so I guess I could handle the ZRX. I just don't want to hurt someone else's bike.
                      The gloves, well, that was a win-win. Those Teknics are great for me. I just chuckled when you pulled an identical set of the Cortechs but in blue.
                      And I've had lot's o'colours o'bikes 'n cars, but only one black one. An 84 Chrysler Laser - 4 cylinder turbo auto; the sum of the parts were less than the whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I like the way you apparently have to keep it at 7000 RPM to maintain 14 volts.
                        The factory voltmeter is a mixed bag; it is designed into the system and (supposedly) calibrated. But you can only access it by pressing the center button, and then the tach goes away. So I have seldom pressed the button whilst riding down the road. I guess you could peroidically, but why?
                        As a side note, it is a shunt regulator, bullet connectors, 18 pole stator, and it is perfect. The stator looks immaculate, +14V at higher revs; just checked the MotoBatt battery, +12.7V engine off.
                        Furthers my theory on why our GS systems fail.

Besides, what is wrong with 7k? Redline is 10k, they claim the WiseCo kit will handle 10.5k easily, and the igniter has a cutoff at 10.7k. And I have heard rumors that the engine has seen 10k lately. I cannot reveal my sources, of course. Vroom, vroom.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2011, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Tuning the GPz

I used my LM-1 to tune the bike. I put it up the tailpipe after removing the end cap.
                          Here is the wideband sensor:

I put the LM-1 in the map window of my tank bag. This allowed me to press the buttons easily:

I put a 12V power outlet on my BlueSea fuse block and plugged into that:

The trial run blew out all the packing in the silencer and it got quite loud. I cut up a tuna can and stuffed it in the pipe. It still blew out some packing, but was much better than before:

I put a rag around the wires where it touched the sidecover to prevent scuffing the paint:

After testing, it was a bit fat on the main and a bit lean on the needle. bwringer and I pulled to tops off the carbs and found I had set 3 of the needles too low. We raised the 3 and the needle was now fine. The mains are still a bit fat, so I will be putting the 170s in (currently has 175s).

Comment

Working...
                          X