No announcement yet.

T8's 750 Cafe Racer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way.... look at those spokes gleeming in the sun ! But sometimes, gotta make do with mags, as you well know....

Comment

Originally posted by rayban View Post
      By the way.... look at those spokes gleeming in the sun ! But sometimes, gotta make do with mags, as you well know....
      Haha yes I do know all too well. They're not my favorite most of the time but at least Suzuki had cooler ones than most manufacturers back then. On the plus side my uncle Lester thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread if that makes you feel any better ha. He grew up during the muscle car era so mags were all the rage back then. He thinks spokes are ghetto haha. P.S. I have the rims out and ready to go. They will ship tomorrow evening.

Comment

What front end are you using?

Nice project!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
          What front end are you using?

Nice project!
          It's the 2001 GSXR600 front end. To my knowledge I'm one of the first people to do this swap. Because my build has taken so long though others have finished theirs before me so if you're thinking of doing it as well you may want to find one of those guys first to ask how they like it. I'm not sure the stock springs are going to be the correct rate and it lowers the front of the bike significantly (about 3"). I'd try to stay away from lowering the bike as much as I have if I were to do it over again because the GS750 has such a WIIIIDE motor. . I have not been on the road yet but we'll see how much my butthole puckers the first time I scrape one of them haha

Comment

What rearsets are you using?
            1983 GS650G
            Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyC View Post
              What rearsets are you using?
              I was going to use some R1 rearsets I got for a really good deal because I wanted rearsets with the brake master built in but I was going to have to do quite a bit of fab work to make them fit right on the 750 frame so I looked for alternates. I ended up finding some 1994 GSXR1100 rearsets that fit the bill nicely for $60 plus I was able to sell the R1 rearsets for more than I bought them for via fleabay auction. I'll post some pics soon. I just bought some new footpegs for them as well off fleabay for $7.

Comment

I was going to say it looks like they fit the frame nicely. I got some GSXR rearsets, but the mounting bolt holes are basically vertical so they don't bolt right up. I'll probably weld a bracket on.
                1983 GS650G

Comment

Update time

Some of you may be wondering if I'm even working on the bike. Well, I'm here to bring proof! Pics and vids for all you pic and vid whores. Basically the last little while has been brain work. I mean, we're talking some serious thinking. Not a hand laid on the bike but my thoughts were consumed by it. I have the entire bike planned now all the way to the finish. I know what parts I need, how much they cost, a timeline of what will be done first-last, and an overall idea of the finished product. I also had a forum member ask me to make him some of the rotor spacers I had built for my bike. It was hard work and it took some convincing to get my buddy/machinist to do it but I finally talked him into it. I made some minor revisions to the part to make it better so I could be proud of it.. Then a couple more revisions.. and a couple more. All in the name of performance and weight savings. After it was all said and done I had scrapped the "bearing as part of the hub adapter" idea and the only things left the same were the bolt diameters and patterns. The bearing inside of the adapter was a great idea but the risk was just too high if I was going to be selling these to people who asked for them. I was fine being my own ginuea pig but did not want to have to deal with the possibility of seeing my forum buddy end up in the RIP section due to MY prototype part. SO, after the third and final revision aka Hub Adapter 3.0 (as known by Ben and I) that took place last week one night when I absolutely could not sleep, I sent the drawing to Ben. He liked the revision so we got to work on it today (the quickest I've ever gone from drawing board to building!) early and got all the mill work done on both adaptors. I like the revisions so much I bought enough aluminum to make myself a new set. With the new part we also reduced the weight by over a pound and a half. Anyways a tank and new headlight should be here sometime next week. I got new footpegs, rear rotor, and rotor bolts all ready to go. I will be making a drawing for the rear rotor adapter tomorrow. Our machining skills keep getting better with each part and my design skills are a little less primitive. Let me know what you think of the new rotor adapters.
                  Click for video

Click for video

Click for video

Click for video

These last couple pics show the part NEARLY finished. Those outer edges that are kind of just floating there will all be cut off with the lathe

Old one VS. new one (the new one looks bigger just because it is closer the the camera)

Ben was extremely stressed (because I sent him the drawing via email last night around 7PM so we spent all morning doing the CAM work.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I probably haven't been paying enough attention to this thread to know how exactly that will be used, but either way that is badass. You're very fortunate to have a machinist buddy like that!
                    1983 GS650G

Comment

Yeah I'm way fortunate to have a buddy willing to work for free ha. We're both in engineering courses at our respective colleges. He is in the course I want to be in so we're pretty like-minded. I design the parts because that's what I'm good at, then he machines them. Throughout the process of designing and building parts I have realized the real creativity is in Ben's job (programming the mill to cut like it's supposed to without screwing up the part). Plus we're limited to this 3 axis mill. I'm going to start saving for my own, then an automatic tool changer, and another axis. While most people strive for new cars, I strive for bigger better tools ha.

Comment

Why oh WHY did this post end without a final result.
                        Looked so promising. I hope you have some pictures somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by redhurricane View Post
                          Why oh WHY did this post end without a final result.
                          Looked so promising. I hope you have some pictures somewhere.
                          Look at the dates my friend. This bad boy is still in progress. It's summertime so that means lots of work, lots of money, and not a lot of time. The good news is as the money flows the parts come in nonstop so I'm stocking up. Should get some work done this weekend. My tank should be here any day plus loads of other stuff is just waiting to go on the bike. For now my focus is on a rear frame hoop, wheels/tires, fiberglass tail, and rear wheel spacing with all the new brake parts. The next month you will probably see more progress than I've had in the last year and a half. Stay tuned!

Comment

I made a new contact about a week ago that has helped take my bike in yet again ANOTHER direction. I have a MAJOR in at a well known company now and it's wheels. Right when I think I've got my wheel situation all figured out a really cool oportunity to work with this company popped up. It's not like me to turn on an open door so here I am changing my wheel plans after all that machine work to make my GS spokes fit the GSXR fork and brakes. I'm going to be running supermoto wheels, tires, and a 320mm floating dirt bike rotor up front instead of the dual triumph rotors. Yes, just one, it will be a single rotor in the front and a dirt bike rotor in the rear with a newer sportbike rear caliper instead of the Brembo one I had (because it's too thick to clear the spoked wheel). The new plan is going to cost me $1400 when all is said and done but I think the end result will be worth it. This brings me to you fellas. I'd like to offer my spoked wheels, adapters, and triumph rotors to someone following this thread. No, not for free ha, but I'll give you a deal. If you're interested PM me and I'll get them sent out to you asap. First one to speak for them get's them. Also I'm offering sets of adapters to whoever wants them for a limited time. We have the machine absolutely dialed and can pump out as many as we need. The more we make the cheaper it is for you. Once again just PM me for details. Thanks guys, stay tuned for the updates within the next 20 days!

Comment

I knew all my waiting would pay off! Got this beauty on the interwebs for the fine price off $55 shipped! Also a new Honda headlight arrived in mint condition just the other day. Other bits and pieces will be flowing in over the course of the next little bit. I'll keep you posted on the big stuff. Mocked up the tank tonight and it looked perfect. Pics of the whole bike to come this weekend.

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Got to work on the bike a bit today. My swingarm dust seals and washers finally came (cost me $27!!). Does the frame usually take up the slack once the pivot bolt is tightened up?? My swingarm still seems a bit slack. Anyways, I cut the rear subframe and shock mounts off so that I can build my own (my shock mounts were bent and stripped from previous owner). I mocked up the tank and tail. One of my tires also came today. I'll probably use this one as a spare and buy the rear to match it because I bought this one literally hours before I was offered a killer deal on a set of Pirelli's. It's super late so I'm probably leaving out a bunch. If you have any questions let me know. Getting so close!! O and check out the new rotor adapters.

Rotor Adapters Old vs. New

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X