Gsx750 cafe/street bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsx750 cafe/street bike

Hi, I own a 1980 gsx750, I'm located in Wellington, New Zealand. I have had the bike for about 8 years, when I first got it it was in a bit of a state. I did heaps of tidying up, painted the engine and wheels black and fitted a round headlight.

Although the bike was nice to ride it never really got me very excited, so a few months ago I decided to turn it into some sort of cafe/ street bike type thing. Initially I was gonna swap the tank for a 550 one and put a round tail section on, but after doing a bit of research I decided to retain the original tail and shorten the back end.

I have pretty much finished this build, but I'm gonna post up some pictures just in case anyone's interested.

Here is the bike after I first got it and gave it a tidy up and paint. It has a 4 into one cycle works exhaust.

So then I took the rear guard off and sat the tail section in front of the rear hoop to see if it would look any good.

Look at the size and angle of the muffler!!! If you lean it over too much in corners the exhaust hits the ground and lifts the rear wheel. Soooo safe!
    Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2011, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Chopped down the back end and shifted the tail section retaining hoop forward.

Next I cut angles on the frame rails and welded plate onto them so that they won't be visible when the tail section is fitted.

Pretty much chopped the seat pan in half, had to narrow the back end of it, remove the hump it has for back wheel clearance, and do a bit of rust repair. The finished seat still works just like the original did with the key hole in the tail to release it.

Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Okay.. So next up I shortened the muffler and tucked the exhaust pipe up under the bike a bit more to prevent those horror exhaust meets ground/ wheel meets sky incidents.

Add a bit of heat wrap....

Recycled spanner.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I don't know what my dashboard has been eating, but it barfed up this...

Time for panel and paint:

Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Here is the bike pretty much finished, still lots of tinkering to do but it's pretty much there. I have had the seat upholstered but I haven't taken a photo of it yet( will post one up as soon as I get round to it)

My plan for this winter (June July August) down in the south, is to chuck a 1200 motor in it.. I'll keep you posted!

Please note also that it's a 750, not a 1100, the decals are all lies. And also I did not come up with the paint scheme on the tank and tail section... I saw a picture on the Internet, liked it and copied it so I can't take credit for that!

Here are a couple of shots with the seat finished.

Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Mate that looks great, love how you've kept the stock lines going!

Hope if you have anyone in/around Chritstchurch that they're all safe.

Merry Christmas!
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Mate that looks great, love how you've kept the stock lines going!

Hope if you have anyone in/around Chritstchurch that they're all safe.

Merry Christmas!
                Cheers, I think everyone in chch are okay, looks like a bit of liquefaction to clean up though! Not really the ideal Christmas present!
                Merry christmas

Comment

Originally posted by bda4130 View Post
                  Cheers, I think everyone in chch are okay, looks like a bit of liquefaction to clean up though! Not really the ideal Christmas present!
                  Merry christmas
                  Glad to hear it but yeah, not a nice way to start Christmas!

Enjoy
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Looks to be very well done! Why not stuff an 1100 engine in there? Bolts right up does it not?

Comment

Awesome dude! Looks great! I had the same idea about moving the tail section forward to make mine look like a cafe racer too! I'm still trying to get my bike running well first tho, little steps!
                      Congrats on a great looking bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                        Looks to be very well done! Why not stuff an 1100 engine in there? Bolts right up does it not?
                        That would be too easy. Gonna get a complete bandit 1200 bike and put the engine, forks and brakes onto my bike... Dunno what I'll do with all the left over bits... Maybe build some sort of mad max bike???

Comment

Originally posted by andrewmac805 View Post
                          Awesome dude! Looks great! I had the same idea about moving the tail section forward to make mine look like a cafe racer too! I'm still trying to get my bike running well first tho, little steps!
                          Congrats on a great looking bike!
                          Cheers! You should definitely do it, it's not very hard and in my opinion looks heaps better than the standard mega long couch!

Comment

Nice looking bike for sure. Great job

Comment

Looks very nice! It's amazing how much better it looks once the seat got on there. I also dig the paint scheme, its got style.

Cool bike

Comment

Working...
                              X