78' GS550 project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
    nope, didn't do anything with it, just left it natural, maybe I should have put a coat of clear coat for a bit of protection, it's still not bolted in place so I can still get that done..
    To be honest I'm not sure what would be best. I know with steal that clear coating is not good as a small knick or chip and it will rust from underneath the clear and the clear can yellow.

Anyone else with more experience with raw aluminum have a suggestion?

Bruce.

Comment

Let the GS blow oil all over it, that will protect it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If my bike started blowing oil all over the top triple clamp I would be a bit concerned!

Bruce.

Comment

Man your really going to town these days. I was way behind on the reading in this thread. Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
            Man your really going to town these days. I was way behind on the reading in this thread. Nice work.
            Ya... I have this week off so I have a lot of free time.
            I was scheduled for knee surgery and had the week booked off.
            The surgery was canceled but I'm taking it off anyway.

Bruce.

Comment

Knee surgery Bruce? Yikes. How long will you be down?
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Crazy man! I'm having a partial meniscoptomy next thursday. They have to chop out a torn piece of my meniscus. Ripped it up rock climbing.
                1978 GS550 E
                673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                for playing in the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                  Knee surgery Bruce? Yikes. How long will you be down?
                  I had the other knee done a couple of years ago and I was only down for a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
                  Crazy man! I'm having a partial meniscoptomy next thursday. They have to chop out a torn piece of my meniscus. Ripped it up rock climbing.
                  Been there and done that. It is a total knee replacement for me.

It does amaze me how fast I recover from this stuff.

When I got the first bionic knee (as my wife calls it) I wanted to get them both done at the same time but for obvious reasons they don't do that.

My legs these days are full of scars but they are more functional than before.

boonton... that procedure is not nearly as bad as it seems.

Do let it heal though.

Bruce.

Comment

Forget the knees man, one project at a time get the bike done then worry bout the knees!

Seriously though, best of luck on a quick recovery so that you can get the bike done and enjoy riding it without the knees bothering you.

Paul

Comment

Looks like you might get to use that snowblower you got.

Comment

You're not kidding Erki. The sidewalk in the back had snow up to my knees.
                        I did my driveway, back and front sidewalks and the sidewalk in front of my house and my neighbor (he's a good guy). It took about 30 mins total.
                        Oh ya, I also cleared a path from the side door of the house to the woodshed on the opposite side of the house.
                        I LOVE my snow blower.

Hard to believe that 3 days ago there were motor cycles on the streets.

Bruce.

Comment

What bars are those? I really dig the curvature.

~Johnny

Comment

Not really sure Johnny. I can look and see if they have any markings on them.
                            If you were closer you could have them. I don't plan on using them.

Bruce.

Comment

Well Bruce, I just finished reading your whole thread which I found from a search for what to use for a carb dip (great stuff here!). I never even considered Pine Sol, but am not sure... I was really set on berrymans but that seems harder to find in Canada.

I just went downstairs to check my bike ('78 GS550C w/ read drum brake) and it also has the bracket for a rear master cylinder on the right hand side, never seems to have been used.

I admire the quality of work you're doing... one day when I get my own place I'm going to do a complete rebuild and hopefully she'll look half as good as yours will certainly be!
                              Cheers,
                              Jonah

1979 GS1000 w/h full fairings, 65k, Winter Project
                              1978 GS550C, 30k
                              http://1978gs550c.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by brslk View Post
                                The carbs are finished.

I partially assembled them while the paint baked only to have to take them apart again because I got a bit ahead of myself.

Bruce.
                                It's a dark and stormy night down here in OR, so I'm reading all the stuff others are doing

You've done great work so far, but I hate to tell you that you've swapped the #2 and #3 carbs when you reassembled. Gonna cause you big headaches trying to tune them like that.

And, did I miss the part where you cleaned the insides of the carbs? Blasphemy around here if you didn't, plus tuning with clogged screws and old O rings will be a bitch
                                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                                2007 DRz 400S
                                1999 ATK 490ES
                                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                                X