No announcement yet.

First build, GS500 commuter streetfighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes ,Dana has gotten most of the small parts painted and we just started the reassemly this last weekend, I'll get after him to post up some progress, pics. The bike has been dis assembled for paint for the last 3 weeks, we still have to do some work on the tail section , and Tank paint.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
      Yes ,Dana has gotten most of the small parts painted and we just started the reassemly this last weekend, I'll get after him to post up some progress, pics. The bike has been dis assembled for paint for the last 3 weeks, we still have to do some work on the tail section , and Tank paint.
      Cool, definitely keen to see the progress pic's!

You guys should know to drip feed us our addiction right?
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hey, everyone.
        Sorry about the delay but this stuff takes alot of time, more than I thought !
        painting is pretty much complete, although small things turn up or something gets marred and has to touched up.

engine primed

engine painted

parts

And all the parts and pieces

More coming

Comment

Now the assembly pics so far.

Frame on the bench

Shock in

New seals and fork oil with a delrin space for the spring

front end in

some headlights

new stainless brake line

and a few more on the way

Comment

Nice new BT090 on the back

And that's where we are for the time being, waiting for some rear wheel bearings at the moment.
            This has been a fun/learning project and it ain't over yet !

Comment

That looks great! And the two cylinders are a nice nod to the original café bikes of the 1960s.

What kind of paint are you using?

Comment

Very nice....

quick question, the parts that are red, is this paint or powder coating, anodizing, or ??

will it stay on the parts, or will it chip and flake as most paints do for example the red on the rear sprocket, will the chain not chip it off ?

and the black, is it paint ? powder coating, or ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                  Very nice....

quick question, the parts that are red, is this paint or powder coating, anodizing, or ??

will it stay on the parts, or will it chip and flake as most paints do for example the red on the rear sprocket, will the chain not chip it off ?

and the black, is it paint ? powder coating, or ?

Thanks
                  I am not really sure , It is just paint but I have to give it to Dana he is real anal about scuffing and priming everything before painting so we will see how it holds up. From what I have seen so far it seems pretty good and all the parts have been curing for some time now, with the exception of a few hardware pieces
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

We've been using all Duplicolor primers and paints, multiple coats. Except the exhaust, we used Rustoleum high heat primer and paint.
                    Like HJ says we'll have to see how it holds up, I have no illusions about "long term" , but touch ups will be simple and costs will be minimal.
                    The sprocket, well.... the chain will certainly take the paint off the teeth but hopefully the rest will last a season or two
                    To me the project was about the building, learning and the mindless enjoyment you get putting something like this together.

While we are putting this together I freaked out and bought a 81 GS250T,
                    That's now my fill in time bike.
                    If these bikes could talk I think all they'd say is "Give me money".

Comment

Originally posted by oldpara View Post
                      We've been using all Duplicolor primers and paints, multiple coats. Except the exhaust, we used Rustoleum high heat primer and paint.
                      Like HJ says we'll have to see how it holds up, I have no illusions about "long term" , but touch ups will be simple and costs will be minimal.
                      The sprocket, well.... the chain will certainly take the paint off the teeth but hopefully the rest will last a season or two
                      To me the project was about the building, learning and the mindless enjoyment you get putting something like this together.

While we are putting this together I freaked out and bought a 81 GS250T,
                      That's now my fill in time bike.
                      If these bikes could talk I think all they'd say is "Give me money".
                      As if you needed to have more fill in time.
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Ok guys this is just frickin awesome, lovin' it! Those red accent pieces with the satin black is gonna look great.

You're makin' me hanker for my next project... playing with my fly screen isn't really cutting it for me...

So what's with the 250? Scrambler/dual sport? Cafe? Something completely different?

sigpic

Comment

This is what I have as of now.

I'm torn between just bringing it back to original as best I can, (inexpensive) or something similar one of these...

Got to get over the sticker shock of the 500 first and just get the 250 running.

Comment

Thanks for the info.....just comparing to what I was doing, and thought you had a better way, but it seems we are all doing it more or less the same....

I painted my sprocket black, but quickly took the paint off, as it chipped the second I put the bolts on, so I figured the natural finish was the better way to go...LOL

Looking forward to the end result

Cheers

Comment

The bike is looking great. Can't wait to see it all together. I really like the black and red.

Comment

Ok I like your inspiration pic's... while I'm more of a scrambler guy the trackers are nice too. There is a 450/500 tracker on here:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

And yes, getting her running first will be good, those carbs are ugly!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X