No announcement yet.

First build, GS500 commuter streetfighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm yeah that doesn't sound quite right...

Have you got a relay for the lights or are they just going through the stock headlight switch? If they're going through the switch, have you checked for voltage drop at the switch?

I know the 500 isn't as old as my 450, but I was losing something 2.5v due to dirty contacts in the ignition switch and kill switch and after disassembling and cleaning I lose about 0.3v instead.

Just wondering if it's things like that that are making it worse...

The Shorai battery may not be helping depending on how many AH it is, although I'm pretty sure most of them should be up to the job...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Hmmmm yeah that doesn't sound quite right...

Have you got a relay for the lights or are they just going through the stock headlight switch? If they're going through the switch, have you checked for voltage drop at the switch?

I know the 500 isn't as old as my 450, but I was losing something 2.5v due to dirty contacts in the ignition switch and kill switch and after disassembling and cleaning I lose about 0.3v instead.

Just wondering if it's things like that that are making it worse...

The Shorai battery may not be helping depending on how many AH it is, although I'm pretty sure most of them should be up to the job...
      Not totally sure yet but I think we just have to much draw with the headlights, shut lights off and it is fine , just confusing why it doesn't put out more power when lights are on. I'm going to try another regulator, but they claim you have to have a moffitt reg with the Shorai Battery to prevent over charging. As we understand a moffitt reg just shuts off and not produce lower voltage as required by the battery. The Lithium battery can not have a charge going to it continually or it may possibly overheat and catch fire. This is what we could gather for info when Dana made the purchase for the battery, he also bought the recommended regulator. We could have just bought a new battery and ran the original charging system for a whole lot less money. All he really gained[ or lost was about 9lbs] and a tighter package under the tank for electrical s[ more condensed ]. time will tell.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
        Not totally sure yet but I think we just have to much draw with the headlights, shut lights off and it is fine , just confusing why it doesn't put out more power when lights are on. I'm going to try another regulator, but they claim you have to have a moffitt reg with the Shorai Battery to prevent over charging. As we understand a moffitt reg just shuts off and not produce lower voltage as required by the battery. The Lithium battery can not have a charge going to it continually or it may possibly overheat and catch fire. This is what we could gather for info when Dana made the purchase for the battery, he also bought the recommended regulator. We could have just bought a new battery and ran the original charging system for a whole lot less money. All he really gained[ or lost was about 9lbs] and a tighter package under the tank for electrical s[ more condensed ]. time will tell.
        Really? That sucks a bit... and is completely the opposite of everything I've heard about them!

I keep getting information that the Shorai's are great because they will work with the stock charging system and have built in over-charge protection... obviously a load of codswollop if the info with the battery says otherwise...

I guess all you can do for the headlight is do some comparison with the stock unit on or get an ammeter inline and check the actual current draw.

sigpic

Comment

Really? That sucks a bit... and is completely the opposite of everything I've heard about them!

I keep getting information that the Shorai's are great because they will work with the stock charging system and have built in over-charge protection... obviously a load of codswollop if the info with the battery says otherwise...

I guess all you can do for the headlight is do some comparison with the stock unit on or get an ammeter inline and check the actual current draw.
          We ordered a pair of 35/35 h4 bulbs today which should help, so 70watts on low beam instead of 110, also 70 on high instead of 130 should help some we hope.
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

That definitely sounds easier on the charging system...

sigpic

Comment

Well time for a update on the bike. We installed the 35/35 headlight bulbs and it seems to have taken care of out electrical issues. Then we had another issue with fuel delivery, as the stock gs 500 uses 2 fuel petcocks , one on the bottom of the tank and a remote one and about 3ft of fuel line horrible set up and having the custom exhaust,and a K&N lunch box filter we are running some big jets so it likes fuel[ 150 mains and going to install some 155's[still a little lean]. So we ended up building a custom fuel petcock directly
              to the carbs with larger fuel lines and that works well. other than that the bike goes real nice , our worries of losing the bottom end power was put to rest as the bike pulls real good with no issues. All in all it came out real good . It talks pretty good if you get it up above 6000 rpm other than that it's not to loud but sounds good . Dana got to take it home tonight. Funny thought when I was following him home tonight. It has been just about 9 months exactly since this project started. So I was teasing him when we got to his house that his baby was home full term.All in all I'm glad to have had a chance to help someone who wanted to learn about bikes and went through this bike completely . the only thing that was not torn down and rebuilt was the motor because it only had 1800 miles or so on it. Dana it was a pleasure doing this with you.
              Last edited by hjfisk; 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM.
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Glad to hear you've had success!

Now where are the pic's and video?

sigpic

Comment

Good work.

Comment

Glad to hear you've had success!

Now where are the pic's and video?
                    I'll have to catch Dana for some more pics, and maybe a video for sound. He's pretty excited.
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Hi All !
                      And thankyou again HJ, I owe you buddy.
                      As HJ said, it turned out really nice, I took it to work today and it ran great.
                      Looks good, sounds good and runs good, can't ask for anything more.
                      No issues other than re-adjusting the clutch cable and tightening the lock nut which was backed away and loose. Friction zone was getting non- existant.
                      Got some nice comments about it at work.
                      I've ordered a double shut off quick disconnect for the fuel line between the tank and the carbs, the single shut off works fine but I need to cap the end running to the carbs to keep residual gas from dribbling onto the engine and frame so the double shutoff will fix the problem.
                      Just need to stay aware of fuel consuption and top off regularly. No reserve.
                      I'll be touching up the paint a little and adding some small rear directionals to work with the intergrated directionals in the tail light.
                      Just want to make sure I cover my rear end.

I have to say, the project was interesting, fun, and a real learning experiance. I have a great deal of respect for HJ's expertise, knowledge, generosity and sense of humor.
                      Without him I don't believe I could have accomplished the build, there was far too much invloved for a relative noob like me.
                      I have a certain limited sense of satisfaction knowing I helped in the build but the real builder was HJ.

We'll get some more pics and hopefully a video with some sound, it's an impressive little bike.
                      Happy as a clam I am !

Comment

Good stuff guys! Always good to see collaboration and the good results from it

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X