No announcement yet.

My new project thread: 78' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the stitching would look gaudy, unless it was really done well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah I think it'll look much cleaner without any contrast stitching at all

Comment

Finished? Mostly, yes.... I need to get a new brake light switch up front, the current one is broken which is kinda bad since the front brake is what I use the most :P
        I also need to take apart the light switch and clean it since there are some small contact issues from time to time.
        But it's driveable, at least thats something right?
        I also ordered a smaller license plate today.

Comment

Very nicely done! congratulations sir.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Nicely done! I think I'd move the tail light back a bit to be at least flush with the end of the rear cowl. Seat turned out good. Like your pink ride with training wheels

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

So I've been riding this thing out and about town for some time now and it's the same problem now as it was the last time it was on the road.

Plugs carbon fouling and eventually it starts running on just a couple of cylinders untill it's warmed up...
              So today I checked the idle adjustment screws, they where out a full three turns. So I cleaned the plugs and turned the screws in a turn and it seems to run a little bit better under slow driving. Plugs looked good. We'll see how it goes, might need some more adjusting...

Also replaced the front brake switch, blew a fuse('cause the old switch shorted something) and finally I managed to shake the brake light bulb to destruction, just another day right

Comment

So here's the results of an hours time mostly cruising around town...

number 3 and 4

1 and 2

So it seems cylinders 2 and 3 are running slightly richer than the two outer ones... Should I do something about this? like try and adjust the middle ones a quarter/half turn in or is this just normal or nothing to worry about?

All 4 screws are adjusted the same now.(2 turns out)

Comment

Dial them in a 1/4 turn, 2&3. Hard to tell what #1 looked like but #4 looks perfect. The other thing to test if you haven't already is the voltage getting to the coils. The coil for 2 & 3 could be a little weaker and cause the carbon fouling.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Don't adjust anything until you figure out what it's doing.
                    #3 looks rich, #2 looks oil fouled. #1 and #4 look OK for now. Poor picture but the insulator on #2 looks black and shiny? Black and shiny is oil fouled. Flat black is rich. Post a better pic if you can. #3 being rich with the other cylinders not being rich points to a petcock leaking fuel down the vacuum line into carb #3.

Love the seat and the whole tail end. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      #3 looks rich, #2 looks oil fouled. #1 and #4 look OK for now. Poor picture but the insulator on #2 looks black and shiny? Black and shiny is oil fouled. Flat black is rich. Post a better pic if you can. #3 being rich with the other cylinders not being rich points to a petcock leaking fuel down the vacuum line into carb #3.

#2 is carbon, it just looks shiny 'cause of the picture

I checked the voltage today and both coils are getting the same voltage. However there was a voltage drop of about 2-2,5 V from battery to coils
                      measured with ignition ON, engine and lights OFF.
                      With Engine on I measured a good 13 volts over the coils but that dropped to 10-11 as soon as I put the lights on.

So I did the relay mod and I'm hoping that will give me some more juice

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

Tom,

you have that backwards as he has BS carbs. So, #2 would be getting excess fuel
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Took it for an evening ride after work yesterday, funny how riding a bike makes you forget about bad days at work, arguments and other worries.
                          Guess thats why you don't see motorcycles parked outside phsycologist offices

Comment

You inspired me to take one of those "clear your head" rides. 50 miles of twisty river road does it just fine. The bike is looking good. Norway is looking good! It's a shame the 1100 is going. Cheers

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Yeah, good times are coming now with spring and the snow going away it means winterclosed mountain passes are starting to open again

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                                Tom,

you have that backwards as he has BS carbs. So, #2 would be getting excess fuel
                                Ah, yes. The 850 top end.

Comment

Working...
                                X