'82 850L vs 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 850L vs 850G

Does anybody know the specific differences between the L and G?

i know the following are different
    -forks, seat, tank, headlight, instruments, plastic, rear fender

but is really major stuff, like the frame, different?

if i like the riding position of the G more than the L can i just switch out the seats and bars? will they fit? also the offset front axle needs to go....

just got through the newbie checklist and my new project is running well, so its time to make her my own

Frame is different. Things like the tank and seat don't interchange. Changing the bars is easy enough though and is a popular mod. If you do so I suggest you get shorter cables.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

like the rake angle and stuff or just local tank and seat differences? would it be silly to swap back to the G's style forks? or a fancier gsxr fork?

Comment

Handling is pretty much the same for either model 850, so there's no point in swapping fork parts. You can make any necessary adjustments to handling with air or spring pre-load adjustment. (Damping adjustment is nonexistent for either model, other than changing fork oil.) Riding position can be adjusted by changing handlebars. The L model seat is less comfortable for me, with not much room for a passenger. Also the L model tanks are smaller, especially the '80-'81 models. There are some vocal L haters here in the forums, but a lot of people like the look.

If a G is what you really want, go find one. It's easier than trying to make a G out of an L.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have modded my "L" to variation of the G and L. Here's the thread of my modifications: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=160112 . If you use the search feature, there's another member that installed a G tank on his L and modified his seating arrangement as well. If the price was right, and you have the right equipment and skills, you can do anything you want to it. being an '82, you already have a 4.5 gal tank, and that's large enough for decent riding time between fuel stops,
          Welcome to the forum, by the way. If you haven't got your welcome from BassCliff, he'll be along to give you the mega-never-to-be-equalled welcome along with a red welcome mat sometime today.

On edit: I see bassCliff has visited (looked at your other threads), and that you are/were Frijoles and Beans. Welcome back! So, you've seen all this before, you just have to make it work out again. Anyway, have fun wit it. Are you still in New Mexico?
          Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM. Reason: read previous threads.

Comment

I have an 80 1000G and an 81 1000L, the L being a recent addition.

I think my L is the better for me, go figure.

I love the riding position and the look of the bike, many people have given me great complements on it. Maybe the age of the L is at hand.

Go with flat bars as suggested. Mine came with a V and H 4 into 1 and was rejetted, goes like stink, for an older machine.

My G is great on the highway for long trips so it will stay in the stable.

So.......buy one of each.

Comment

Originally posted by jhillier449 View Post
              Maybe the age of the L is at hand.
              Good luck with THAT one...

Originally posted by BeanTown View Post
              also the offset front axle needs to go....
              Hmmm... Of all the things I see people offended by on L's, the leading-axle fork, while subtly distinctive, is usually not high on the list. I seem to recall Ed weighing in on the steering geometry differences of some stock L vs. non-L models before (after some discussion of swapping out forks) and the bottom line was that:

1. Stock, the L's are very close to the non-L's w/r/t rake and trail
              2. The steering stem angle is different on the L's to make up for the leading axle
              3. The geometric changes caused by swapping forks were pretty minor
              4. The stock L should have a slightly quicker steering response based on the geometry calcs (all other things - including bars - being equal)

Perhaps Ed to could weigh in, or of course forum search might turn up gobs of info.

Maybe I'm remembering that badly due to age, or just biased as an "L" owner myself (albeit one not particularly interested in swapping forks right now). YMMV. Use only as directed. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Comment

It should be pointed out for future reference that the triple clamps compensate for the offset of the leading axle. So, if someone wants or needs to do that swap, the triple clamps have to be swapped with the fork legs.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Sorry to disappoint, but im not "Frioles and Bean," I thought it was a joke that I didnt get and just went along with (being the agreeable new guy i suppose)

Im in San Diego, not NM, previously from Boston, hence the Beantown nickname some have given me.

I was under the impression that the offset axels would make it handle like a more like a box van and less like a track bike. for some reason it conjurs up mental images of raked out choppers and skullies for me

If you guys dont think it will makethat much difference, ill prob keep them for a while. though I think a fork upgrade may be somewhere in the future.

I think im starting to like the L, the seat is AWESOME, and if I can get the right position with handlebars alone it might be good enough for me.

Comment

Hey BeanTown, I have an '82 850 GL. I swapped the stock L bars for a pair off a used G, got new G cables, and mirrors. I also added some risers to the bars. They are now 1 1/8 inches up and 1 inch back. Since they're now set back I have free space above the forks so I can lower the triple trees as much as I want to customize the ride. I have it set so the tops of the forks now stick up about 1 1/2 inches, thus the frame is a little lower.

I left the tank as is, though at times wish it were larger. However, on long rides, the smaller capacity forces me to take breaks more othen than I might, which is a good thing.

My bike came with a Vetter fairing which I removed. I now use a removable windshield for cold weather. I couldn't find the L headlight ears, so I got some from a G, along with the headlight. I prefer the larger headlight.

So, mines been somewhat "de-L ed" so to speak, it rides more like a G. But with the leading axle, chrome fenders, teardrop tank, and stepped seat, it still looks like an L.

Comment

Emjay - Can you post a link to those risers? I'd like to do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LoopGaroo View Post
                        Emjay - Can you post a link to those risers? I'd like to do the same thing.
                        Here you go.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                          Here you go.
                          Some really funny-looking risers you have there, emjay.

Nice looking car, but funny looking risers.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

umm.... Bad link?

Comment

Oops, that's a pic of my buddy's Datsun.

Try this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X