Clear All

It runs on gas! And IDLES! (barely)

Things I still need to do:
    -Valve clearances
    -Dynojet Kit
    -Tires
    -Tach Cable
    -Carb Synch
    -Rebuild calipers (probably next including the adjusting the valves)
    -Bodywork (dents, paint, stripping, engine paint, panels, etc)

Comment

After moving the bike around to the shop I currently apprentice at, I have been getting a lot done. Taking off the calipers, valve clearances, Dynojet stage III, carb synch, etc.

Here is a clip of it running, idling, revving:

Also, I took the front and back calipers off today, completely stripped them, and powdercoated them... RED. These pictures do not do it justice at all. It is just so vibrant it looks great. I did not do these, but I did acid strip/ prep them and then gave them to the guy that shoots the powder. If anyone wants some stuff powder coated, our prices are pretty damn fair... Just saying

Comment

How can you have inexpensive powder coating in California? Doesn't the EPA tax you to death on something like that?

P.S. I think they look smashing.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          How can you have inexpensive powder coating in California? Doesn't the EPA tax you to death on something like that?

P.S. I think they look smashing.
          Volume? We're mainly known for wheels/spokes/custom hubs, so maybe that's it. Honestly, I don't know since I got it for free just set the prepped parts and the table and say, "hey, whenever you get around to red please."
          Pretty lucky if I do say so myself.

Comment

Current Updates:

- Finished clearancing the valves. Moved the shims around, not perfect, but better than it used to be without a doubt.
            - SS lines front and back, however the front is giving me problems (air, no pressure in the lines, etc)
            - DOT 5 in the lines now
            - also just as a test I powdercoated the grab bar on the seat in denim (matte black) and it looks damn good

Still just trying to get the front lines to pressurize, which is turning out to be a bit of a bitch. However, I am simply just helping out at the shop since they are re-organizing the layout, and making giant holes in walls (i.e. new ones into the service shop). Also, we are getting new machines for a FULL machine shop, powdercoating (a clean room), and new wash room.

Comment

UPDATE!!!!
              I powdercoated my tank and emblems, Check it out! It is now, for the most part, together.

Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2014, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Coming along nice! Man would I like a Yoshimura exhaust for my 650g.

Comment

Originally posted by Caferacernoc View Post
                  Coming along nice! Man would I like a Yoshimura exhaust for my 650g.
                  Maybe not this one... I think it may have a hole along it somewhere due to the rust... Anyone have an idea of how to test where this leak/hole is?

NEWS! Test rode it for the first time last week. It actually did not run too bad, for just a quick run through of the carbs. However, I will be tearing them full apart for a dip in the acid and possibly powdercoat. Still havent decided on color and if I even want to powder the bowl/slide cover.

it was missing pretty bad from 4-6k rpm and I knew it was all in the carbs. I also need to check if the plug wires are correct since... I may have done that incorrectly as its very hard to start

I am thinking of cutting off the rear frame... Anyone here to talk me out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
                    UPDATE!!!!
                    I powdercoated my tank and emblems, Check it out! It is now, for the most part, together.

Cool, got a close up of the emblem?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Cool, got a close up of the emblem?
                      Nope but it can easily be had tomorrow for ya

Comment

Bone: when I was searching for leaks in my 450 exhaust, I didn't want to keep starting the bike / running my hand along the pipes / etc.. So I hooked up the blower hose on my Shop Vac to one end of the pipe and taped a plug over any intake / exhaust holes. That way a leak was the only exit.....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                          Bone: when I was searching for leaks in my 450 exhaust, I didn't want to keep starting the bike / running my hand along the pipes / etc.. So I hooked up the blower hose on my Shop Vac to one end of the pipe and taped a plug over any intake / exhaust holes. That way a leak was the only exit.....
                          nice tip, Rich...will have to keep that one in mind
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

So, you basically hooked the shop vac onto the exhaust pipe and plugged basically the carb boots? Hmmmm not too shabby. throw some soapy water on there and that is just as good as early detection

Checked the plug wires, and were all correct. I will try the bike again tomorrow afternoon when I go to wrench a bit at the shop. Pulled the plugs, sandblasted the tips, and put them back in. Black black black black, so far too rich for the mixture. I will fiddle with that tomorrow as well.

Also, my throttle cable snapped today... That was fun. So, my carb tuning ended early. Good thing there is a suzuki dealer down the street from the shop, and I can order it easily.

I think I'll ride to work tomorrow

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear: I was modifying a MAC 2-1 to fit my GS450 (long story) and there was some welding involved. Since I'm far from a pro welder I knew I was going to have some pin holes. With the exhaust off the bike, I plugged the header holes and stuck the Shop Vac hose in the end of the tail pipe.

Although, as long as your exhaust valves were shut you could do it while the exhaust is mounted to the bike. If a Shop Vac blows past your exhaust valves, you have bigger problems......

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear: I was modifying a MAC 2-1 to fit my GS450 (long story) and there was some welding involved. Since I'm far from a pro welder I knew I was going to have some pin holes. With the exhaust off the bike, I plugged the header holes and stuck the Shop Vac hose in the end of the tail pipe.

Although, as long as your exhaust valves were shut you could do it while the exhaust is mounted to the bike. If a Shop Vac blows past your exhaust valves, you have bigger problems......
                                Ah, gotcha. Well, that makes more sense

Well, since I will have to eventually take it off anyway, I will test it for a leak as you had said. If it passes, awesome but I have my many doubts. I guess its time to raid the parts room for some headers/tubing

Alright this is for my own sanity (things to do)
                                -New throttle cable (not stock, shorter as there are clubmans fitted)
                                -Drill the top neck bolt (the one that is on top of the steering stem) to fit a pull choke just like the CBs
                                -Pressure wash the whole bike
                                -check the exhaust for a leak
                                -Fork seals/oil change
                                -New tires (most likely Avons as I've heard many good things)
                                -New shocks (most likely progressives)
                                -REARSETS!! I have to find a set to modify to work
                                -Cafe racer chopped frame?? new seatpan??
                                -Plug chops/tune carbs/carb synch
                                -Drill lower triple tree for headlight mount? Thinking about a trick LED light we put on a sportster a while back, but maybe not
                                -TEAR IT TO BARE FRAME.
                                -Powdercoat frame, engine covers, wheels, brake disks, pegs, handlebars, U/L triple trees, swingarm, shaft, and everything else I am forgetting.

Comment

Working...
                                X