Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also hoing to try the 550 cams first on mine, the "fun" is the first reason.

Comment

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I think I'm going to use the 550 cams in the 675, it's just more fun. Maybe tweak the timing for a little more midrange if I can do it without losing the top end blast.
        that's pretty much exactly what I figured I would do as well. 550 cams have great top end, and the exhaust sound with a nice straight through aftermarket baffle is just pure bliss. Very authoritative snarly raspy tone.

looks like you swapped out the 550 engine for the 673! might as well, still winter, no sense in fooling around with the 550 engine, go for the gold.
        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post

looks like you swapped out the 550 engine for the 673! might as well, still winter, no sense in fooling around with the 550 engine, go for the gold.
          Still winter technically, but I've been riding every day, it's been in the 70s most afternoons. Even fairly warm up in the mountains, at least for a couple hours early afternoon.
          I'm just sick of this thing not being finished.

Comment

Just found a great thread about degreeing GS camshafts:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Excellent information from a lot of GSR guys, Suzuki-Don, Blowerbike, Tripivot, RapidRay, Chef, Nessism, Koolaid Kid, GregT and many others who posted one or two comments.
            If I had found this a few weeks ago it would have been very helpful, would have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Alas, all I can do now is read about this stuff, I'm back at work and can't even look at the bike for a while. I'm also thinking I might use the 650 cams at least for a while.
            The 550's huge top end kick is what is always making me wind it out to about 10,000RPM + and occasionally more, this engine with it's bigger heavier pistons might last a lot longer if I didn't do that everywhere I went.
            Last edited by tkent02; 03-08-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Okay, back at it. Looks like there's no way to fit the 650's front air box, the frame is just too tight. Plan B, K&N pods. I will also be using a Kerker 4-1 header, the one that was on it as a 550.

So for jetting, raise the needle a 1/2 clip position or maybe a little more, maybe up the main jet to a 125 for starters? Stock main is 110... Not real familiar with setting up CV carbs for a pipe and pods. A little research is in order.

Now for the pipe, it doesn't fit, the 650 head has a much wider hole for the pipe, although the actual port diameter is the same. Suzuki_Don had an elegant solution:

But I don't have a buddy with a lathe. So I improvise...

Cut some strips of aluminum just the right size... 1/16" x 3/4" by something like 5 inches, they seem to stretch when you do the next step...

Roll them up into a circle...

And tap them into place in the head.

This has the advantage of allowing me to use the 550 exhaust gaskets which I already bought, the strips hold them in line with the end of the pipe.

Tomorrow I'll throw some carburetors together.

Comment

I think rapid ray just posted a set of kn pods for 50$ if you need.

Edit.. it was chef......
                Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2016, 11:23 PM.

Comment

No, I bought some a while ago, thanks anyway.

Comment

other solution, I found that a 600 gsxr would be.... so efficient and almost plug and play directly on the 650 head (do not fit inside 550 ports because they are smaller than the 650, you found it by yourself on the post above). If interested, I posted few pictures on my subject.

Comment

The Kerker is on, seals pressed into the clutch cover, carbs are ready as soon as some jets get here, tighten up the motor mounts, put the sprocket back on the countershaft, add oil, connect a few wires, push the button..... I think that's it.

Comment

Yeah! Could you tell us again plz your carbs settings, for the first start?

Comment

OK, I'm a firm believer in riding it hard for breaking in rings, wanted to get the mixture close enough for the first start so I can open it up without hurting anything. Since the 650 airbox won't fit in the 550 frame I'm using K&N pods, so I ordered a DymoJet kit for a 650G. Should save a whole bunch of tuning. I'll still have to tweak it for my elevation but it ought to be fairly close for the first run.

Comment

Tying up all the loose ends, too many little details. Can't remember stuff from when it all came apart, it's been too long. The spring for the oil filter is missing, have to pull one off another engine or something. New studs for the cover which is freshly powdercoated black. Just noticed I took the ignition plate off when I was doing the cam timing. Looking at three ignition plates, now which one was it? Got the locating roll pin for the clutch cover from Steele's and it is on, looking shiny black and holding oil, kickstarter is in place, shiny and black as well. You can actually see the oil in the new sight glass. Sprocket cover and shifter ready to go on when I get the counter shaft nut on. The lock washer for the countershaft sprocket nut must have hit the ground rolling, it is long gone. Off to Steele's again if I can't find it. Good news, jet kit got here today, the K&Ns get here Monday, hopefully I'll have it ready to go out and open the throttle Monday or Tuesday. Throttle cable, looks like the old VM cable will work, kind of at a funky angle so the correct cable will be ordered but it will work for now.
                            Woo Hooo!! Can't wait!

Comment

Can't wait too.. . I believe I will be able to start mine before end of April, but the last details are the longest things to do..waiting for small parts, bought separately and shipped from far places... good luck for your waiting time. You can spend it checking all the small details again, it won't be wasted time...

Comment

Looking great Tom. I got some issues fixed on the wife's GS550B (ignition switch, coil relay mod, faulty double bullet connector factory crimp connection powering tge orange 12v+ coil wires) that saved me from having to build "just" a 673cc gs550 kicker, so once I scrape together cash, I'll be ready for that Wiseco K740 gs650 piston kit!

Keep us updated on progress, carb jetting & needle positioning, etc
                                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X