Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep,
    I have that chart, just going to use what I have to help find out what I need.
    Don't want to buy four each of ten different sizes.
    Thanks for posting it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Very excited to hear about the bike's performance, even at being excessively rich....

My wife is going to be very very pleased whenever I can get the engine together with a set of those Wiseco K740 pistons....

Your petcock clearance issue makes me consider BoontonMike's carb choice more. I have a pair of 89 Katana GSX600F BST31SS aluminum flatslide carbs and a set of 90/91-96/98? GSX600F BST33SS "slingshot" flatslide cv's with phenolic slides.
      They are not the correct spacing but Mike got his bst33's to work by mixing and matching various gsxr intake boots. He said throttle response was fantastic once he got them somewhat dialed in.

I was going to try and take the easier way out and get new gs650 boots and a set of GS650 carbs + Dynojet kit. Sounds like if I did go BS32+dynojet, I'd have to get it straight from DJ with alternate jet sizes. Still considering for ease of install, but I have the bst33's and the petcock issue is going to be more work anyways.
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

OK, I respect your opinions so please help me out here....

Chrome, like everyone else?

Or powdercoated Satin Black like the rest of the engine?

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

I dunno, most guys would make a blue plastic cover and put LEDs inside.
          As well as other places lighting up the engine.
          Great for bike nights.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

They're one bit I like chrome Tom... just a neat little touch that way I reckon.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              I dunno, most guys would make a blue plastic cover and put LEDs inside.
              As well as other places lighting up the engine.
              Great for bike nights.
              I don't do bike nights, but.....

Who was the guy doing 3D printing? I bet he could make some clear blue covers for you!

Comment

Me put lights on my bike? Don't be cute.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

No lights for me either, I prefer stealth.

Comment

I can imagine a wood carver making something in place of those.

Comment

Black..... less need to keep it shiny.
                      You strike me as one who is more concerned with go then show...
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yeah, I might just leave them off.

Comment

I like the chrome...

Is this bike up and running or are you waiting on jets or something?
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Chrome. No question.
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I've been enjoying this thread! I gotta say satin silver for sure.... I love the black carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                I like the chrome...

Is this bike up and running or are you waiting on jets or something?
                                Running, not very well but pulls very strong even when it's missing and popping. I looked at the plugs and they looked fine. I think I figured something out... A year or two ago, the 550 got a bad missing and popping going on, I assumed the carbs had gotten gunked up since it had sat a while, was riding other bikes mostly. So I let it sit a while longer, finally did the carbs and they were fine inside. Looked at the spark plugs, ignition, actually just swapped the whole ignition plate with one from a spare 550 engine, it ran fine. Probably had bad condenser or something, but I didn't even check into it because it was fine with the other ignition. I think I put the wrong ignition plate back on last week, the one with the problem. It's running just like it did then, but I didn't recognize it because it's so much more powerful.

So maybe the jetting is OK, don't know yet. Unfortunately I'm back at work for a while, it will have to wait.

Maybe I'll put two chrome cam covers on the right and two black ones on the left and see which side I like better...
                                Ummm, Satin Silver, I think I have that...

Comment

Working...
                                X