No announcement yet.

Guzziboys gsx400F of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The actual difference in fork lengths is about 5mm from axle hole to top of the legs. The diameter of the fork stock is actually only different at the top bearing old one is 26mm and new is 30mm! So you can actually re use the bottom bearing (if you can get it off that is).

I got onto the web and found the part numbers of my Head bearings, and then tried to cross reference on the ALL BALLS website, but of course my model wasnt listed. Dammmmm, long story short, I cross referenced against a 81 GS450 which turned out to have exactly the same part numbers! (turns out the 450 shares LOTS with my bike). So i just ordered GS450 bearings on the all balls website to go with the 05 gSx600. All Balls is awesome because they give all the measurements for you to cross reference.

The top bearing just needed 4mm more ID
    Thats the old top bearing on the left

The GSXR stem has these pesky races that you have to remove, out came my new favourite tool the trusty dremel..radical

You have to carefully cut a groove in there to spread the races to pull them off. Slowly and gently is the key.

Youll have to HEAT the new bottom bearing from ALL BALLS to get it on. I heated mine for ages and it was still a biarrrrtch to get on there, Lots of gentle punching in the vice to get it all the way on

Check out the fit! The GSXR stem has two lock nuts so you only have to leave one out

and wallah!

i managed to find some old GT380 rims really cheap and couldnt resist the chance to mock them up

Just waiting on some new front wheel bearings from Flea bay to fit the new much thicker GSXR axle.. Got to work out how Im going to make spacers without a lathe. And I guess Im going to have to buy an electronic speedo

Comment

Top stuff! Yeah the 400's and 450's do have a lot in common when it comes to the running gear, makes it nice and easy

How's the ground clearance with the GSXR forks compared to the stock ones? Do you lose any?

Also, with your bearings off eBay, I hope you didn't use Pyramid Parts... I did and my rear wheel bearings were close to collapsing with less than 20,000km's on the clock. I'm going to swap out my front wheel bearings soon too because I don't trust them.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        Top stuff! Yeah the 400's and 450's do have a lot in common when it comes to the running gear, makes it nice and easy

How's the ground clearance with the GSXR forks compared to the stock ones? Do you lose any?

Also, with your bearings off eBay, I hope you didn't use Pyramid Parts... I did and my rear wheel bearings were close to collapsing with less than 20,000km's on the clock. I'm going to swap out my front wheel bearings soon too because I don't trust them.
        No Pete i found a guy on Ebay Zacsbearings here in melbourne he has good japenese ones, I ended up with NSK's so should last a while

Comment

Excellent, glad to hear it! I ended up with Nachi myself which are apparently good... gotta get some front wheel ones now and do them soon.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

this could be the start of something special..i got this NOS gs550 tank on ebay and its a beautiful thing..its gonna look huge on the bike

got some bearings and mounted my old wheels properly, might only run one disc but going to have to fabricate somehow spacers for the axles and stocko disc..a shiny modern floating disc would look very nice

Was going to try rebuild the wheels myself...any of you guys in OZ done it before? I want some black rims and new spokes

Edit.. Rookie mistake thought I had gt380 wheels,
            Turns out they are 74 RD350 wheels!!! DOH
            Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2013, 05:05 PM. Reason: Noob

Comment

goodluck with the wheels :P

can you show a pic of the tank sitting on the bike?

i want to get a skunk tank for mine, but affraid it might just be way too big...

Comment

Originally posted by nikosg View Post
                goodluck with the wheels :P

can you show a pic of the tank sitting on the bike?

i want to get a skunk tank for mine, but affraid it might just be way too big...
                Yep will do.. I'm away now but I have a frame loop
                on order and a cat eye tail light along with some
                other bits and pieces, gotta work out what to do
                with the brakes as the wheel isn't a Suzuki part!

Comment

So I have slowly been gathering parts in my little cafe,brat,bobber who knows yet project. I have been busy scouring the web for bits and pieces and have had a few hits and misses. Plan is to do a frame hoop and hand make a seat out of an old suzuki imitation leather one.

Im rebuilding my old rd 350 rims and got a couple of spacers made up at the engineering shop next to work. I tried to make them myself first but didnt realise the bearings are offset inside the hub..

you can see these wheels are going to need lots of work..40 years of grime is hard to remove..Plan is to powdercoat the rims black and polish the hubs. Got some sexy spokes from Buchanons delivered and very very pleased with their service.

before

four hours of hand sanding now off to the polishers

ive never rebuilt a spoked rim before but Im loving the challenge, cant wait to get the fresh rims back and start

Comment

Let me know if ya need a hand during the week mate! i got a lot of spare time, would love to come see what you've done in person.

Comment

Working...
                    X