No announcement yet.

My . GS1000GL Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got all the wiring figured out and was able to get the bike to crank over. Seems like it is all good to go on that part. I went ahead and made some headlight mounts. Didn't like the big and bulky ones on ebay. These where pretty easy to make and very stable. I might put some LED lights on the sides for turn signals or put a set of "stick out" style turn signals.

I like the thought of LEDs as they will look clean, but not sure how visible they will be. Here is the picture of the bracket. I also put rubber from a motorcycle bike tube on the side to protect the forks.

I got this idea from this link...

Now can't figure which way to go with the exhaust. I had this Jardine from one of my previous bikes. Thought it looked ok... but got vetoed by the girlfriend and friend also. Thinking about trying to find a megaphone style or even a supertrapp...

Any thoughts or comments on the Jardine? If I was going to use it, I was going to cut it down about 6"-8" so it wouldn't cover up the rear wheel completely.

Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Well I have decided to go with the Kerker exhaust that came with the bike. Just need to clean it up...

On these pictures, everything it just hanging there loose.

Comment

Got some more work done lately. Got the rims painted a macadamia nut brown, a porsche color. It is the same color as the big stripe is going to be. Also got some gold laid down for the Pinstripe. The F4I rearsets are now mounted, in the process of making a brake and shift lever. Here are some more pictures.

Comment

Coming along nicely. Don't forget to paint the webbing inside the rotors while you have it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
            Coming along nicely. Don't forget to paint the webbing inside the rotors while you have it apart.
            What is on there is already painted flat black rotors. But always subject to change. We will see what it looks like all together.

Thanks!

Comment

rear sets

Norman1950-Did those F4I rear sets bolt on? Any massaging? Details please. Nice build!

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenza V View Post
                Norman1950-Did those F4I rear sets bolt on? Any massaging? Details please. Nice build!
                No they didn't just bolt on. I used the bottom stock foot peg mounts, since they are same side to side. I drilled out the F4i bolt holes to accept the bigger stock bolt. On the top, I drilled and tapped a solid 1/2" rod. I had to trim a little of the stock welded bracket that holds the swingarm bolt. Then I just mounted the bottom bolt and welded the top "bung" in place. Hope this makes sense.

Still have to figure out my shift and brake linkage.

Comment

Here are a few more pictures of the bike. Was finally able to paint the bike this weekend. Still a little ways away, but getting closer.

Comment

And here are some finished pictures, need to change some things, but for the most part it is done....

IMG_1409.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1413.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1416.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1425.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1429.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1433.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1441.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1444.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1449.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1453.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2014, 01:10 AM.

Comment

IMG_1460.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1464.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1465.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1469.jpg by OnTheRhodesPhotography, on Flickr

Comment

Very good job on your build. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimjay View Post
                          Very good job on your build. I like it.
                          Thank you very much.

Comment