No announcement yet.

Wife's new bike, GS850GL with a 1000 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol you crack me up. I hope she will be doing that. I know I have spent my time sitting on it making vroom vroom noises. Most of the time looking at her and telling her that the bikes gonna be so nice I am going to keep it for me.

Comment

Great!! Thanks for the info, I'll def will buy some tomorrow and give it a whirl...I take it you used the gloss and not satin?

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
      The type of paint I used on the calipers was VHT epoxy paint. I got the luggage rack thanks to a forum member and got it installed today. I think the wife is really going to love this bike. It was a struggle to get it to fit but I think the end result was worth all the effort.

I am glad this bike is nearing completion as I am looking forward to seeing how it goes down the road.

Comment

I dont think I had a choice. I got the gloss All I really cared about that it was epoxy paint. Now if someone in the mpls/st paul area can direct me to a resonaby priced paint shop I will be all set. I refuse to pay $500 to get a tank and 2 side covers painted.

Comment

How about painting it yourself?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have thought about that and I might be forced to do it my self. I really want to get this done right now. It has been to cold in WI to paint anything. I have another tank to put on it so I can take it for a ride with that one. Well see what I can find. Besides, if someone else paints it and it comes up I can take it back and say fix it. We will see what I can do.

Comment

The day finally came and I got the spare tank cleaned out, fuel level installed with a new gasket and the modified pet cock installed and mounted on the bike. It started right up and I got to take it for it's maiden ride. It went great and really performed well. It is a little smoother than my chain drive E but I think my E has more useful power. The heated grips will absolutely make your hands sweat and having a back rest is a nice creature comfort. I did find that the front brakes need to be bled again, they were quite weak but the back brakes worked well. I put new pads all the way around. I did put that aftermerket front master cylinder so I hope the font will work better after I bleed them again. Otherwise I will have to pick up a diffeent front master. All in all I am pleased with the bike and how it performs, she should love it.

Comment

Here is it right after the maiden ride. Don't worry, the other tank I have for it will be the one getting painted. I just have to finish stripping it and fixing a few small dents. But this one doesn't leak so it's good enough for now. I can't believe the pet cock actually works now it has been modified to eliminate the vacuum. Now it's just on/off/res

Comment

Well she finally took the bike for a ride. What a smile she had when we got home. I got the highway bars on the bike with some nice Suzuki foot pegs and I actually installed them in just the right spot for her. The bike ran prefectly. I did wind up changing out the calipers for a spare set I had laying around because I just could not get the nice painted ones to not be spongy no matter how much I bled them. They werent leaking or anything, just not squeezing well. So I will mess with them again and pull them apart and see if there is anything obvious wrong with them. Other than a future paint job the bike is done as far as I am concerned. Hopefully we will be seeing some of you in Indiana.

Comment

What is that exhaust system off of? It sure looks about a foot longer than an L model system.

Comment

Yes it is off of a GS1000G, I like the longer exhaust better than the shorter L exhaust. And it was what I had laying around the garage. Fit great with only rear mounting modifications.

Comment

Now that I have had time to ride the bike some I have decided that I do not like the rear shocks. They are really nice if you are riding alone but they are too soft if you are going to use the bike with saddle bags. The place that I got them from advertised that they were equivalent to the stock springs and they were not kidding. I am sure that they would be fine on a lighter bike like a 550 or a 450. So now I have replaced them with progressives. I like them much better for what we will be using the bike for and they match the front sonic springs better. All in all if I did not have my GS1000 I would keep it for myself. The 1000 engine really makes a difference in performance. Next thing will be a fork brace.

Comment

Working...
                        X