1980 gs450 project, oh boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    How does it start from cold with no choke in say 80 degree weather?
    It starts right up in warmer temperatures. Just when it's colder does it require choked warm-ups.

For the manometer nipples. I used a couple Allen head bolts from the hardware store, drilled out the centers and then used JB Weld to secure and seal some brass tubing into the head of the bolt. This allows you to attach a piece of nylon hose as my set-up requires.

(It's much easier to drill through the centerline of a bolt than you may think)
    Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Something I did notice, maybe it was a tad windy today but not very. Was that at 50+mph the handlebars seems to have a little bit of a wiggle from time to time. Mostly when accelerating. So lets say I get out of the merge lane and give it a bit of gas. The front does a little wiggle. Not too terrifying but something I was thinking about nonetheless. It was certainly enough to make me not want to continue accelerating for fear of it developing into a tank slapper or something. Goes away on deceleration.
      that's not good. My 400's don't do this.They're not big bikes and I can feel cold air pockets when I ride the hwy !, but there's no regular shake on accelerating so I have to go the "yada yada read-the-manual " rant.....I'd check the wheel alignment first and if it's not easily fixable at the chain adjustment, I'd have a close look at the parts to be sure you haven't left anything off. Include the shocks too-the spacing, the washers.If you are missing the seat rail, replace it with a thick washer or two to match the parts diagram.
      And while you've got the rear wheel off the ground, give the swing-arm a hard shake. Head set too.
      Preload on shocks is none on my bike with the stock weight of atf+motor oil in the forks. These are really not particularly "special" bike and I think the back is just stiffened when the seat has more weight than the usual solo rider they were built for. Stiffening em just hurts your back more, without the load...If you get into handling mods, you have to think of back AND front.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I'm fairly certain they are aligned well. I will certainly look into it. I did not mess with anything in the forks. Maybe I should have? Since it was so subtle I had not gave it much thought since I am used to my ninja and it being so rock solid. And I chalked it up to a modern bike being more solid.

I should maybe say I'm talking about 20mph winds, and highway speeds. So I'm not saying it just wobbles away at road speeds, with light wind. It's rare we get that high of wind, and when we do my ninja is pretty solid still, but gets pushes around. I've only ridden a few "naked" bikes. And the ones I have ridden felt a little wobbly in the wind.

Anyways, take what you will of that info.

At 70 degrees the bike would start but not run, way too low of idle. I had to give it very very slight gas to keep from stalling. But sounded like after a min or two it would warm up and stay idling. I just tried once though and when I left the gas off it stalled. That is with no choke. With choke it starts right up and after a minute or less I could take choke off.

Comment

I have a question.

I've done some research and have come up empty. Short of buying a micrometer and measuring of course...Though I want to do that...

What's the banjo sizes and length of the front brake like? And does anyone know where I could get a rebuild kit, and or if I should just go with a replacement from perhaps a different bike. I have noticed in some heavy riding the brake wasn't up to snuff. So I parked it in the garage till I can get this sorted.

One last tidbit. I was going about trying to do the adjustment screw for the carb sync and the darn thing was so rusted it fell apart.

Comment

standby, I'll measure my 1981 400E's brakeline length-is the same bike to look at-just valves and the carb choke are different......the banjo fitting is pretty standard..is it 10mm rings a bell?,well I'll measure.

Comment

10mm (I didn't zero the calipers..)
              This is the reservoir end and note the slight bend in it...

The length on the 400E bike is about 36 inches. Hard to measure with a carpenter's tape. The handlebars have very liitle rise but this hose also suits where rise is 2 inches or so.
              bars now

This extra one I have is 38 1/2 off an old '82 400T with bars that have plenty of rise 4 inches at a guess.

I'd try making a new brakeline. bwringer did a nice write-up for DIY. I think it's on Bass-cliff's site.

Comment

You are freaking awesome dude!

Made my day. 10mm both ends, like a 22.5 angle on one. 36-38 1/2" long. Should be a snap to get one now. For the length I can just measure mine with tape.

I need to buy a caliper like that haha I can think of so many uses.

Comment

Hey guys, I have bad news and good news.

First the good I guess. Cleaned the disc and pads, grips a LOT better. Will lock and skid from me pushing and grabbing front brake. Feels a MILLION times better on the road, maybe the brake was dragging?(thats my guess) Wiggle gone.

The bad news. I drove it to work, parked in the lot and a guy drove up to me. Hopped out his car and.... Offered me a ton of cash for the bike. So I took it.... I happened to carry all my forms in my pack. So it was like a 5 minute deal, he gave me cash, I let him test, he asked for the forms and had his partner drive the car home I guess, and he took off on the bike. I made sure to tell him everything about the bike I could, where it needed work done, parts that need replacing etc. We settled at a little lower than his first offer, but still crazy compared to my price of parts/bike.

Uh so I guess this saga ends here. Thanks to all of you so much. You guys were instrumental to getting this thing running right. I learned a good bit too for myself lol.

Hope you all ride safe. I'll still lurk around and I will try to find another gs on craigslist to play with soon.

Comment

a "ton of cash"? and that's the Bad news? If a tasty big fish leapt from the water and fell at my feet, I'd find it hard to toss it back too!

Comment

Good news on the brakes... and the sale! As long as that's what you wanted of course

I'd be hard pressed to sell my 450 for anything less than a hell of a lot more than it's worth... I'm a little too attached to it I feel but it is also a great fun bike...

Glad we could help you get where you got though!
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah it was really kinda spontaneous. I miss her already but he seemed very happy to have found one, from what he was saying he was looking for a bike like this for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                        X