1980 GS1000G Ground up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G Ground up

In March I bought a basket case, seized 1980 GS1000G to rebuild. Didn't really intend it that way, but buyer beware on Craigslist and I got had. So I tore "Izukes" down, wading through rust, Black Widows and mouse turds. Got the cylinders off (lots of fun) and started replacing parts.
    Fast forward to now-
    The frame, trees, swing arm and wheels are painted. All new bearings in wheels, swingarm and steering. Rebuilt and repainted all calipers with EBC pads. Steel braided lines, rebuilt rear master cylinder, new front master cylinder. The forks are rebuilt with new seals and have been polished. The rear differential was R&Rd and polished. I just reassembled the chassis. I went through the entire wiring harness and checked every wire and connection, fixing every problem I found.
    The cylinders have been bored for a Wiseco 1085 kit, the cylinder head was R&Rd by Doug Chandler (yes, the road racer) at DC10 Performance and Midway Machine in Salinas, Ca using APE parts. I just got those parts back.
    I am going to start reassembling the engine next week. Iam working on gathering small parts that the very tried carbs need. I polished the engine covers and painted the block gloss black.
    Plans include Dyna Coils, new stator and clutch. I am planning on sealing the tank and installing a new petcock and painting the tank International Truck Turqois (the color of my Father's 68 International truck which was sold, providing the money to buy Izukes). I plan on having the seat cut down a bit and redone.
    Here are some before pics. I will follow up with more current pics to catch up and as I go.

More pics

I can only seem to put 1 picture in a post?

Comment

More pics

Starting to tear it down

Comment

Rat turds

Willard was here

Comment

Too much weather

She had apparently been out in the weather for quite a while

Comment

Naked

Stripped down to the frame

Comment

After the Cylinders were removed

Getting the cylinders off was a major endeavor. I couldn't get her to spin at all, so a couple of big crow bars, lots of penetrent and a bunch of sweat. Once the cylinders were off she spun great.

Comment

Did I mention the chicken coop?

In April we moved to a very rural place with no garage. What I did have was a chicken coop. So with some modification, I started working on the components of Izukes in a chicken coop. How's that for a backyard build?

Comment

The Forks

The forks were leaking very badly. I installed new seals and polished them.

Comment

Much better

Here is the front end after some work

Comment

The frame

Here is the frame in the chicken coop

Comment

The engine

Here is the bottomend of the engine after some paint and polish

Comment

Very nice work! Will be an amazing bike when you get done. terrylee

Comment

The reassembly begins

I purchased a tent/carport and started putting the bike together in that. Here is what Izukes looks like as of 10/15/13

Comment

Rear Dif

Here's the reassembled rear differential. Taping those wheels was all sorts of fun! I still need to polish the outer rings of the wheels.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X