The Black Bomber, My GS450.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Black Bomber, My GS450.

I'm a long time rider but this is my first road bike. I've had it for the last 3 years.
    She's a 1980, 450L-
    I'm working on rebuilding almost everything.
    New Honda R/R,
    New OEM Carb Boots/rebuilt carbs/new filter,
    EBC performance pads, New Line
    Fork seals/boots
    New cables
    Vetter Quicksilver fairing and luggage rack+ milk crate.
    Bars from a Honda 90 3wheeler.
    running 100/90/19 fronts and 120/16 rear.

Probably going back to stock sprockets(15 teeth?), 6th is too high to use with the current sprocket/tire size combo, it lugs it. Might even go to a 14 tooth.

No motor mods, it Runs really well as is.

The next mods I want to do-
    New Non vacuum petcock( anyone know one that fits?)
    X ring chain
    New Adjustable shocks, I’ve got about $250 in the budget for these.
    Stiffer Fork Springs. a Tarozzi fork brace
    Rebuild the master cylinder
    Voltmeter and 5v hardwire USB charger for my phone or GPS.
    All LED running and dash lights.
    30/15W Heated grips( if my math was right, I’ll save enough with the LED’s to run a set of them). I hate getting cold fingers.
    Polish the exhaust and the fork lowers, engine. It needs another chrome cam bit, one fell off a year ago.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2014, 12:18 AM.

Are you one of those brave souls that rides year round?
    Noticing the blueing on the headers and the slowish return to idle of the revs from your video, you MIGHT have an air leak.
    You mention carb boots, have you already swapped them?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Pingel makes a petcock that will work, but plan on spending $100+. Not sure if it's any help, but a stator from a GS500 is a good / cheap replacement. And what diameter forks do you have now? 33mm? Larger front ends bolt on easily if you decide to go that route. And you could gain dual discs up front.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Are you one of those brave souls that rides year round?
        Noticing the blueing on the headers and the slowish return to idle of the revs from your video, you MIGHT have an air leak.
        You mention carb boots, have you already swapped them?
        I ride whenever the roads are clear, and it's above freezing.

t's had new OEM boots/Oring for 1.5 years. Header was Blue when I started working on it. The old boots were cracked pretty bad.

Sometimes the idle hangs like that, sometimes it doesn't. The boots are tight on the head, the clamps are tight on the carb side. The gaskets on the air box are tight. Unless the carb is leaking internally, i'm not sure what it could be?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
          Pingel makes a petcock that will work, but plan on spending $100+. Not sure if it's any help, but a stator from a GS500 is a good / cheap replacement. And what diameter forks do you have now? 33mm? Larger front ends bolt on easily if you decide to go that route. And you could gain dual discs up front.
          I believe the Forks are 33mm. Thanks for the Lead on a better stator, I'll keep that in mind if mine fails. Is it possible to upgrade the single disk if I want to stay with that?

Comment

Originally posted by RustyStuff View Post
            I ride whenever the roads are clear, and it's above freezing.

t's had new OEM boots/Oring for 1.5 years. Header was Blue when I started working on it. The old boots were cracked pretty bad.

Sometimes the idle hangs like that, sometimes it doesn't. The boots are tight on the head, the clamps are tight on the carb side. The gaskets on the air box are tight. Unless the carb is leaking internally, i'm not sure what it could be?
            Is the right side pipe really blue, or is that a camera thing? It looks like it's blue way down from the head, but not right where it omes out of the head, which is strange.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Is the right side pipe really blue, or is that a camera thing? It looks like it's blue way down from the head, but not right where it comes out of the head, which is strange.

The pictures make it look worse than in person, and the blueing doesn't start untill 6"~ down the pipe. The Bit that fits in the head is normal chrome colored. You'll notice the muffler is discolored behind the foot pegs. No idea why on that. Plugs are the correct color in a plug chop. Carbs have never been messed with, they still have the screws plugged.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

The pictures make it look worse than in person, and the blueing doesn't start untill 6"~ down the pipe. The Bit that fits in the head is normal chrome colored. You'll notice the muffler is discolored behind the foot pegs. No idea why on that. Plugs are the correct color in a plug chop. Carbs have never been messed with, they still have the screws plugged.
                If you have an occasional hanging idle it's probably time to mess with the carbs. Here's a 450 http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ning_guide.pdf carb tutorial from http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ BassCliff site.It looks scary but a bit of time and patience go a long way,as will a set of Mr Barrs O rings http://cycleorings.com/ .
                Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I believe the Forks are 33mm. Thanks for the Lead on a better stator, I'll keep that in mind if mine fails. Is it possible to upgrade the single disk if I want to stay with that?
                  Staying with a single disc isn't a problem at all. Your wheel is drilled and tapped for a second rotor already though. Just something to keep in mind. And fwiw, a GS500 master cylinder will work with your current caliper setup. Planning on getting a braided brake line? I might have one that might work.

Comment

I bet using Saltymonk's brake upgrade on just one side would work great. Thinking of doing this on my 550 if I have the correct fork around here.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

After reading about it on here, today I installed the PVC fork spring spacers. I did a WAG and decided 2" would be a good starting place.

It worked better than I could have even imagined! I went from 2.5" of sag, to 1". The front end feels much more planted, I never bottomed it out and I could brake much harder! Best .10cent upgrade yet.

Now All I need is a fork brace and a set of Better shocks.

Comment

Nice Sunny Day today, so I decided to do more work on the bike.

Came across a thread about the ten cent Quick turn throttle mod. Found a chunk of PVC that fits, and 3 minutes later, I've got a 1/4 turn throttle.

While I was at it, I Modded the throttle tube, I turned the Triangular "step" off of it so I could Put an old NEP throttle lock on.
                        [/URL]

Went for a ride, so nice to be able to take my hand off on the highway and let it rest. Should make touring this summer much more fun.

Comment

No big updates, waiting for parts I ordered to come in. Trying to quell the bar buzzing at High rpm's I decided to install a set of vibration dampeners from a Honda CB650. Hopefully they work just as well in these bars as in the Honda. These things are Hefty, at least a pound a piece.

Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2014, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Have you synched your carbs yet? Carbs that are out of sync can cause the vibrations you are feeling.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              Have you synched your carbs yet? Carbs that are out of sync can cause the vibrations you are feeling.
                              Yes. The first time right after I rebuilt the carbs, then last spring. Valves have been checked, they are within spec.
                              The vibes are only there above 5k, The engine is glass smooth up to that point.

It's not a problem for shorter rides(under an hour) but I'm hoping to make this bike as comfortable as possible for for longer distance rides/trips.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X