No announcement yet.

The Black Bomber, My GS450.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the Quicksilver fairing and it seems to fit the 450 fine. Back in the day I had a Rooster for my 400 and it was a good fit and a lot better looking than the plexiglass shield I had before it. I have one to put on my 750 but am trying to find a windshield for it first. I'm thinking radio.

Considering their are no mechanical problems, is it possible to put some kind of rubber on the handlebar mounts to ease some of the vibration?

Comment

cool mod-may come in handy. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
        I really like the Quicksilver fairing and it seems to fit the 450 fine. Back in the day I had a Rooster for my 400 and it was a good fit and a lot better looking than the plexiglass shield I had before it. I have one to put on my 750 but am trying to find a windshield for it first. I'm thinking radio.
        My windshield is a SlipStreamer replacement, I ordered it from JCwhitney.
        I've been trying to find a set of locking hard covers, but they don't show up much. I might have to make a set. I keep my tool roll in the fairing and I want to keep it there.

Considering their are no mechanical problems, is it possible to put some kind of rubber on the handlebar mounts to ease some of the vibration?
        I wonder if anyone makes rubber mount bar risers. That could work.

Comment

Installed my new master cylinder reservoir+ o-ring to replace the crumbling original and flushed the fluid. Also installed a set of ProTaper Pillow top grips. Very soft and grippy, also looks quite sporty. I also changed the fork oil with some Fuchs silkolene 10w.

Comment

You have really fixed that little bike up. It looks very useful and fun.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Today was a Big day for the bike.I've been wanting to replace the shocks from the day I started working on it.I finally bit the bullet and I put up a wanted add. A very cool GSR member sold me a set of really nice Progressive shocks!

I was so exited I tore into it first thing once they arrived! Finally, I could banish the pogo sticks to a dark box on a shelf!

I was like a kid on Christmas.

Shiny!

Old VS New. Everything about the Progressives is bigger.

And buttoned back up.

They are a Huge Improvement over stock! I had the preload as High at it would go on the stockers, and they would sag over 2.5". I set the Progressives at 3of5 and they have 1" of sag with me on it.
              I braved the cold and took it out for a short ride, Better in every way. No bottoming out and they don't bounce like the old ones.

I am so happy. I can't wait for the weather to get better again so I can go for a ride longer than 15minutes to really test them out!

Next up, H4 HID conversion and a set of heated grip inserts!
              Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2014, 04:18 AM.

Comment

My new H4 headlight came today. Came with a 55w/60w bulb. Going to run it for a while and see how I like it before I order a 35w HID kit. I'll take some pictures tonight to show the beam. It's so much brighter than the old Sealed beam.

It seems to be charging well. This is at ~3500 rpm.

Also played around with some Surplus Aluminum "mermite" food cans.
                I gutted the insulation out, they weight about 5lbs a piece and can hold 39L ( 1.4cuft) per side. Going to make up a rack for them. they look bigger than they are. Only a few inches wider than the bars.

Light weight, free, Water tight and lockable camping gear storage.

Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Finally, my volt meters arrived from china, but for $6 shipped for 2 I can't really complain. It seems to be pretty accurate, supposedly waterproof too. Wired up with a 5A blade fuse holder.

Also wired in a 12V outlet, and stuck my Phone charger in it.

Comment

Would these hard pocket covers fit your fairing?

Those cans are something. Paint to match.

Comment

Every time I see pics of a nice looking 450L,I get the urge to track one down for myself.

Comment

A 450 in good shape is hard to find, just like the elusive 650E.
                        All I find are Ls and Ts, and they are mostly trashed.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                          Nope, I think they are for the later design fairing, the rooster? The holes on the quicksilver are pretty oddly shaped.

After perusing the web a bit, I came to the conclusion that they never made hard covers for the Quicksilver and I was going to have to make some.

Just Finished one up today. Laminate flooring scraps for our house renovation,Epoxy, a lock and some Truck bedliner for waterproofing.

I'd like to try and see them steal my stuff now.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Well look at you.

Comment

Latest project, a set of fairing lowers.

Did a bit of CAD design work.

Drug a Piece of Black plastic out of my supply stash. Heated and Bent it over a board. Some Edging from a Crash damaged fairing to match the one on the bike.

Need to get another piece of plastic to make the other side and some aluminum bar stock to make the brackets.. Should make riding to school in the morning more comfortable.

Comment

Brackets are done. Now to buy some more plastic for the right side.

Time for new tires.

Going to try going tubeless. These things are a PITA to get on and off in the event of a flat.

Comment

Working...
                                X