Tanks GS750T Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanks GS750T Thread

Picked these two bikes up quite unexpectedly last week from fellow GSer Coldrider.

They were a good deal and I am very happy to finally have a T that actually looks like a T!

Both bikes seem complete as far as missing parts go, all the panels and airboxes etc. are all still on them.

The TZ is the one in the best shape and has only 13,000 kms/8,125 miles, although I think the goldwing parts look hideous on it.

From what I can tell, it has a goldwing front end, and rear fender/tail light assembly.

The TD is in rougher shape than I would have liked.
    I wanted to sell this one to Gold01ca but I wouldn't let it go for under $900 and it's definitely not worth $900.
    This one has about 40,000 kms/25,000 miles on the dial.

The PO had it sitting in a soggy damp shed for a little too long and the bike shows it.

The exhaust shows corrosion and rust over just about every inch.

The signals are corroded and show damage as well.

Continued in next post, image limit reached.

The cluster and the left side panel both show signs of heat damage.

The shocks and forks are rusted and pitted pretty bad.

From the damage to the case savers and right side exhaust, this bike has been down before, likely at a low speed.

All of these things combined make this bike a prime candidate for a resto mod of sorts.

My short term plans are to move the windscreen, luggage rack and ugly gold wing parts over to my ratbike, because looking hideous is what it's good at!

Then move the grab rail, front end and rear fender from the TD to the TZ, in order to get the TZ looking as stock and original as possible.

Long term goals for the TD is either GS1100 4V swap or oiled cooled GSXR 750 swap. really just depends which is cheaper and easier to get my hands on.

Comment

Thanks for posting Tank! I will be following intently. Lots of rust and pitting; I'm trying to destinguish more than the turn signals...shouldn't the engine be black on the TD?

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yup it's black on the TD, same with the chain guard.
        It's just dusty and oxidized.

Comment

I see the black engine now Tank. I needed to zoom in real good on my smartfone. Looking forward to moar news on this thread to include pics!

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-08-2014, 02:08 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

PO should be arrested for crimes against a T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Good spare parts no doubt!

Comment

Nice find and that TZ appears to be in great condition! Let me know if you're interested in offloading that luggage rack/seat-back. My TZ had one that my wife liked for riding 2 up but someone ripped the cushion/pouch thingy off the bike one night while it sat in my carport.

Comment

Finally the weather is good enough to get to work on my new T's.

Up first is the pretty one, got her all stripped down to get the carbs out.
                The hardest parts to find, all in great shape!

Using the very first part of my driveway that is snow free, lol.
                I was surprised to find a brand new battery with a full charge inside it.
                The same brand and model as the original, very nice!

So far the carbs look pretty good inside.
                I'm just giving them a quick inspection and cleaning, as I found no gunk or old gas inside.

Gotta have a prairie brewed pilsner on the go on a day like today!

Comment

Nice!
                  I thought about going out in my garage,
                  Still tired from yesterday and last night.
                  It will remain a distant thought.
                  Glad somebody has some get up and go.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2014, 02:58 PM. Reason: have to has hungover type

Comment

Follow this advice Eric...just cause they are nice and shiney like that does NOT mean the fuel hasnt corroded and plugged the small internal passages. Tear them down and dip them per the required 24 HRS. Do the work right once is my theory.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

By "quick cleaning" I mean dismantled as far as they can go in the rack.
                      There was some corrosion on some brass parts and lots of partially clogged holes in the brass.
                      My tip cleaners are getting a put to good use and all the passages got blasted out with air.

For now my main goal is to see if the bike runs in the first place.

If everything checks out, fires on all cylinders and has good compression etc. then it will get a much more detailed cleaning, including full dips and o-ring kit.

Comment

Carb Dip

^^Good advice chuck.

I've got the carbs removed from my Parts "T" and will dip them in Berryman's Chem Dip/Carb & Parts Cleaner.

Good luck with the cleaning Tank! Keep pics coming too! (I'm partial to "T's" myself!)

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Guess who's riding in March!

And a close up 'cause she looks GOOD!

Comment

I have been riding for 3 weeks now..mostly after work when its been above 55 or 60 in the afternoons. Youre late to the party!!!
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

WOW!

That is a beauty Tank!

But don't forget about your BELOVED...

I'll be riding soon too...we didn't have the winter here in New Mexico like you had; I was riding in Feb.

I'm so happy for you!

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X