A 20-year orphan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    Dragged, blinking, into the harsh light of not-day, the other GS prepares to meet its fate. With a cigarette dangling from the corner of its mouth and a sneer on its lips, it dares the filthy swine to do their worst.

some orphans are just tooooo ugly to adopt out

best kick him back in the dark corner and sneak away hoping no one has seen you near the ungodly creation

obviously theres no hope of redeeming that soul

ozman

Comment

I'm not a tank polisher - it was bought as a tool, it earned me a living and when it was retired it got a coat of paint, but it got abandoned for a while. Now it's getting refurbed (a bit) and will be a properly working bike again.
      Earning its keep - not a show /display bike by any means, just something that's honest and reliable - as it used to be.
      Last edited by Grimly; 06-28-2014, 11:18 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Might find a Michigan fan to buy it. Go Blue?

Comment

Originally posted by Morrison View Post
          Might find a Michigan fan to buy it. Go Blue?
          The odd thing, I painted it before I moved to Ireland, and it turned out I'd done it in Tipperary colours.
          ---- Dave
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

The odd thing, I painted it before I moved to Ireland, and it turned out I'd done it in Tipperary colours.
            to be sure, to be sure but then again maybe

Comment

Now, that bike has definitely got an attitude. If Disney did a cartoon called "Bikes," that one would be one of the thugs, for sure.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Front brakes (later calipers) fitted on the '79 GS, bled up lovely with a Deauville master cylinder. I like the span-adjuster on those. Should be much, much better than those horrible hockey-puck pads that were on the OEM '79 calipers.
                ---- Dave

Comment

Earning its keep - not a show /display bike by any means, just something that's honest and reliable - as it used to be.
                  Hmmmm, big horns and retina burners. Were you on the courier circuit?

Comment

Originally posted by GelandeStrasse View Post
                    Hmmmm, big horns and retina burners. Were you on the courier circuit?
                    Yep; some things become second nature. Like an uncontrollable urge to filter
                    Talking of horns, the ones on there run a very poor second to the one I had on the original front guard of this bike. That was a proper horn.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

Holy Foghorn, Batman!
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

(1)
                        Economy and reliability - these bikes paid for my house.
                        Just curious, how's the economy?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Just curious, how's the economy?
                          Saved a thousand up front, then returned 40mpg thereafter.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

40 isn't all that great for an 850.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              40 isn't all that great for an 850.
                              It's ok for in and out of London and sitting at a steady 85mph on the motorway.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Dismantled and replaced the 4-hole gasket on the petcock today - luckily I'd drained the tank shortly after last using the bike, so there was negligible gunge in the pickup screen and the tap was pretty clean. There was a touch of face corrosion on the inside of the moving element, so swirled that over some 400-grit emery paper for a few seconds and it went together perfectly air-tight once it was all buttoned up. Annoyingly, I found I'd bought a 50mm rectangular O-ring (is that for the GS1000?) instead of a 44mm, so had to re-use the old one, but it's in good condition and Hylomar on that and bolt holes, left overnight will work wonders. Last time I had that apart was 24 years ago and the Hylomar I'd used on the bolts was still pliable.
                                ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X