1981 gs450s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs450s

Picked up this one for $250 !! Missing side panels and front fender and hasn't run in three years, but, I couldn't pass it up !!

After I got it home we started to get to know each other.

I was told that it may be an "S" model, so, I took some pics of the tabs that used to hold on the cowling.

Here's a pic of the engine number that may help to identify if it is an "S" or not.

Here are the carbs all apart and loosened up awaiting a carb kit from Mr. Barr and I did figure out how to remove this crazy big airbox.

I did snap off an exhaust bolt, but, that's a project for another day. I also stopped by the BMV yesterday and got the title transferred.

Last edited by Larry D; 07-11-2014, 07:13 AM.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Of course I'm signed up. Carry on, sir.

Comment

I just did a rough pricing on what I'm going to need as far as mechanical parts go and it's approx. $160........so far.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Oh I'm subscribed indeed Larry! Parts pricing sounds good to me

Take care with that fuel T that joins the carbs... mine was fine until after I had cleaned and re-assembled and then I discovered it was sealing correctly and leaked so I had to get a new one.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Good buy, love the wheels! terrylee

Comment

With the help of a 10mm fine threaded bolt and some compressed air, I got the front caliper apart, it was a bit nasty in there.

Time to order some parts......

Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Looks very similar to how mine was Larry... a new piston/seal, a good cleanup, and she should be good as new

My M/C was screwed and the bore was pitted etc. so I got a new one from Mikesxs.com which had a slightly smaller piston diameter (12.7 vs. 13mm I think) and it actually improved the feel quite significantly over stock IMO.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pete, I'll check it out because I need a new master cylinder too. My question today is...... How does one re-assemble the caliper ? Is there some kind of way to do it properly ? I tried to put mine back together last night and ended up ripping the boot.

Also got the petcock off and cleaned up. It is missing the filter and it's untested, so, I'm not sure if it's good or not.

Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

It's missing the filter because it's the wrong petcock. That petcock is for a GS850/1000G, and the filter tube that came on it is probably too tall or too wide to fit properly.

The 450E/S models have their own unique petcocks that look like this:

sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Okay, that explains it then. Thanks Bret.

Is there no vacuum port for the OEM petcock ?
                    Last edited by Larry D; 07-15-2014, 08:49 AM.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                      Okay, that explains it then. Thanks Bret.

Is there no vacuum port for the OEM petcock ?
                      It's on the back, along with the fuel line port.

Vac points up, fuel points down.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Gotcha. I thought it was a dumb question, but, I had to ask....

Do you still have my number Bret ? It ends in 4012. If you're not doing anything Saturday, I was thinking of riding out and getting those side covers and fender.

PM me.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yep Larry, definitely not the right one!

As for getting the piston in... yes there is definitely a technique!

I can't remember who wrote it up now but on here somewhere is a good technique.

It involves getting the caliper all cleaned up ready to go with the new seal in place first. Lube the piston bore and seal with some brake fluid.

Then you lube up the piston with some brake fluid and get the dust boot slipped up from the bottom of the piston just enough so it doesn't pop off.

Then you gently work the flange of the dust cap into the groove on the caliper. I use a small flat blade screwdriver to do this but you need to be extremely careful or you'll rip it.

Once that's done, you can get the piston in and seated properly which should force the dust boot up and into it's groove on the piston.

Hope that makes sense...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pete, I'll give it try, except I had to order a new rubber boot.....I actually ordered two, in case I rip it again.
                            I should have just cleaned and blew out the caliper and left good enough alone, it wasn't that bad to begin with.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Actually I need to order another myself, I keep forgetting!

Last time I cleaned and re-greased the axles I discovered a small tear in my dust boot... good idea buying two

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X