No announcement yet.

1981 gs450s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received my o-ring kit from http://www.cycleorings.com/ last night. Thanks Robert !!

I had already separated the carbs and had them loosened up. All I had to do was figure out where the idle mixture screw was. On these carbs the screw is on the outboard side of each carb and are sideways instead of vertical like every other carb I've seen. Mine still had the caps on them, but, after a bit of drilling (see what I did there ?....) and a drywall screw to pull out the cap, all was good. The first carb is swimming in Berryman's now and the other will go in this evening.

I also discovered that taking a picture in macro setting works pretty well as a magnifying glass. I had just sanded and painted the battery box, hence the black spray paint on my thumb....

Just waiting on a myriad of parts to arrive over the next week or so and then the real fun begins !!!
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Excellent Larry! Now while those carbs are apart... if you want to wake them up a little, drill the slide vacuum port out to about 3mm and chop about 20mm off the slide spring.

The improvement in response is worth it

And if you replace all those cheese headed screws with allen heads, you won't have to remove the carbs to do any jetting changes. Float bowls can be done in place, and the needles can be done simply by lifting the tank.

Oh, and float height... Clymer and Haynes are both wrong! They should be 26.6 +/- 1mm.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I had a fun weekend with the '81 GS450S. First, I got the carbs all back together with new orings.

I also did, what I consider, one of the more difficult jobs completed. Removing those boots is a pain !!!!

I bought one of these from Harbor Freight and did this.

I got a shipment of parts which included the new petcock. I did some general cleanup and began looking at the electrical system. It appears to be in pretty good condition other than there is two different coils. More to follow.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

My main question from the weekend is how are the footrest bolts removed ? This bolt will loosen and as it continues to turn left, then, it will tighten again..... Is there some kind of weird captive nut on the back ? I took a good look and it seemed just like a regular bolt to me.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Regarding the caliper piston boot, one technique that works is to slide the boot over the piston and work it down to the edge of the closed end. Install the lip of the boot into the caliper groove, then insert the piston into the caliper body bore and push it in. The boot will slide up as you do so. Last thing is to assure the lip of the boot engages with the groove in the piston.

As for that spinning bolt, take a peek behind the footpeg bracket. Most likely there is a nut you need to hold with a spanner.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, that is exactly what I did with the caliper. It's all ready to go with the exception of the new pads, which should be in my mailbox soon. That task is a test of dexterity !!

I took a good look behind that bolt and didn't see any nut or any other captive device. It looks to be screwed in to the frame, but, I can't get it to loosen and I'm afraid I'm going to break it off.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

If I recall correctly, that bolt is threaded into a solid point of the frame (not an individual nut).

Comment

Larry,

I have a set of black seat trim in good condition I'd send you for shipping. Now that you've repaired it.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    Larry,

I have a set of black seat trim in good condition I'd send you for shipping. Now that you've repaired it.

cg
                    Thanks Charlie !!
                    PM sent.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Look what I got in the mail today !!!

.....and it's time to start taking a better look at the electrics. It seems I'm going to need at least one coil.

Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I thought I'd give a little update.

I got the front brakes all done and mounted, it is just finger tight awaiting a new bleeder valve, master cylinder and brake lever.

I got the battery box, tool holder (right side) painted. The electrical panel (left side) is next.

The coils have been removed because new ones are on the way. It's a longer story, but, I have two of these coming via ebay. Oh.....and a deep cleaning session is scheduled for this weekend.

Here was the problem with one of the coils. I tried to dig it out to re-attach another wire, but these particular coils are not designed to be re-used.

All in all, everything is moving along as planned. It will be time to start it up pretty soon.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I had a big day in the garage over the weekend. First, my lovely assistant helped me clean and de-grease 33 years of grime.

Surprisingly my new master cylinder arrived early, so now, the front brakes are finger tight and fluid ready.

The valve cover has been removed. The cover bolts came out like butter, no issues. I still have to clean the gasket off though.

Some headlight inspection and cleaning was done.

My brother-in-law left this with me on a recent visit and it happens to fit perfectly into the mirror mount, it's not staying, but, it looks kinda cool for the minute.....LOL !!!

Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                            I had a big day in the garage over the weekend. First, my lovely assistant helped me clean and de-grease 33 years of grime.
                            What de-greaser did you use? and what was your method?

Comment

Heck...I just bought some cheapo cleaner/de-greaser from the Dollar Store, nothing special. I have a bag of rags and went through plenty of them. Before the initial startup the bike will get a nice rinse down with some clean water to wash of any leftover residual cleaner.

My method ???? Get down and dirty and get scrubbing !!!
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Fair enough. I was just curious because I have a lot of grease on the front side of my engine this burns and smokes. I've read that de-greaser and power washing is a good way to get into all those fins and nooks but I don't have any way to trailer my bike to a car wash.

Comment

Working...
                                X