No announcement yet.

Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I didn't like 4-2 exhaust so much, I'd have to go with your set up.

So, how are you going to repaint all the little lettering on the meter pod?
    Fwiw- I sent my '83 L and '80 G guage faces off to Diablo cycles so they can make copies of the meter{gauge} faces....this way they're available for everyone. I have a set of unknown year 140mph GS speedo and non-fuel level tach that I can send in too someday.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post

Fwiw- I sent my '83 L and '80 G guage faces off to Diablo cycles so they can make copies of the meter{gauge} faces....this way they're available for everyone. I have a set of unknown year 140mph GS speedo and non-fuel level tach that I can send in too someday.
      I may not paint the lettering on the meter pod - even from the factory, the paint wasn't very good and usually faded or flaked off in a short time.
      Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
      René Descartes

Comment

Anthony I have been away from the Resources for awhile but the progress you have made is stellar. I can not wait for fully assembled photo. She is going to be beast on the road. Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
          Anthony I have been away from the Resources for awhile but the progress you have made is stellar. I can not wait for fully assembled photo. She is going to be beast on the road. Keep it up.
          Thank you, Sir - your compliments are greatly appreciated
          René Descartes

Comment

Today's progress, 11/1

Nothing exciting, but I got the footpegs fully installed and I finally finished modifying the battery box to provide some extra clearance. I'm using an AGM battery that can be mounted in any orientation, so, the battery will be on its side. I had to do this because my frame bracing interfered slightly with the front of the box.

The box itself is from a 78 GS750E - it doesn't have the holes in it like the GS1000 box, thus, I had a bit more steel to work with for rigidity. I shortened the front of the box by around 1" and added some 16ga support straps to the side. I built a new front section using 16ga, as well.

René Descartes

Comment

Super tidy job on the batter box. Are you powder coating it as well or painting? man do those bolts look great against the black frame.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Super tidy job on the batter box. Are you powder coating it as well or painting? man do those bolts look great against the black frame.
                Once I get the harness reworked and figure out where all of the electrics will be mounted, the battery box and a bunch of other small parts will be going to my powdercoater. I may have to weld some mounting brackets to the fuse panel tray, etc, to make things look tidy. May as well wait until all of the welding is done....
                René Descartes

Comment

So, I thought about what you said, and I decided to *not* be lazy... Scuffed the lettering with some 400 grit sandpaper, wiped it with some alcohol, used Testors modeling paint in gloss white and applied it with a toothpick.

I will be painting the fender liners tomorrow.
                  René Descartes

Comment

While it was just my 2 cents, it does make it look better....well, more finished. Doing the ign switch cover too?

Comment

FINALLY done with the gauge cluster... Been working long hours at the job and had other stuff happening on the weekends.

Rear covers rechromed (ok job, would pick another rechrome shop in the future)
                      Housing soda blasted and painted
                      White lettering repainted
                      Mounting bracket powder coated to match frame
                      Disassembled speedo & tach and cleaned inside of lenses
                      All new bulbs

René Descartes

Comment

Looks fantastic! If you don't mind me asking, what did the chrome cost? I'm looking to get a few pieces done too.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                          Looks fantastic! If you don't mind me asking, what did the chrome cost? I'm looking to get a few pieces done too.
                          I had about 10pcs rechromed and these cost around $35 ea. Unfortunately, the originals were pitted and the metal is fairly thin - to obtain a smooth finish one must fill the pits with solder, lay down several layers of copper, smooth everything down, and then chrome it. Unfortunately, my rechromer didn't do a very good job with the prep and some of the pitting is evident in the final finish.

Granted, it would have probably cost more than $35 each to put in all of that extra work - I don't have a problem paying extra, I just wish he would have given me the option before going ahead and doing what he did.
                          René Descartes

Comment

Looks great. I'm redoing mine - I think that's supposed to be bright orange on the meter needle tips....

Who was your chrome source - local?!

Comment

Looks great. I'm redoing mine - I think that's supposed to be bright orange on the meter needle tips....

Who was your chrome source - local?!
                              I totally had a brain fart with respect to the needle tips - repainting them didn't even cross my mind

As for my chrome shop, they are indeed local. Unfortunately, because of the less-than-perfect finish on my speedo covers (has more to do with the way they handled the situation), I can't in conscience recommend them to anyone.
                              René Descartes

Comment

Sorry, and I know what fun it is to open up a crimped gauge...then close it. $35 is cheap, really, from what I've seen...but I guess there's sometimes a good reason for that cost...or lack there of. They should've asked, either in process or before hand, what you wanted done.
                                The closest chrome shop "I know of" is this one, thru the old car forum I also frequent -

..never used it but heard good things about them.

Comment

Working...
                                X