No announcement yet.

Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful work. You might want to run the clutch cable in front of the gauge cluster instead of on the outside, if you have the length.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      Beautiful work. You might want to run the clutch cable in front of the gauge cluster instead of on the outside, if you have the length.

Not possible - take a look at this photo and you'll see why

With the bars I am running, a straight clutch cable (no 90 at the end) bangs into the side of the gauge cluster. Even if it cleared, the bend radius required for the cable to go in front of the cluster is too small, which in turn, causes the cable to kink and eventually bind.

In the arrangement currently on the bike, the cable has a nice gentle bend down to the frame and then through the 1 and 2 carbs down to the clutch arm.
      Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
      René Descartes

Comment

Finished the ignition switch today.

Drilled out the barrel and housing with a 3/32" drill bit so I could install new, slightly larger roll pins. The pins I had were 1/2" long, so, once they were installed I cut off the excess with a dremel.

Two coats of self-etching primer and 3 light coats of semi gloss black.

René Descartes

Comment

Update, 5/14:

Installed the refurbished ignition switch.
          Installed the crankcase vent hose and clamps.
          Cut the ignition wires to size and crimped the connectors on the ends.
          Installed the battery and tested the ignition system for functionality - tweaked the static timing a smidge.
          Removed the plugs, regapped to .028, and reinstalled.
          Removed the carbs, checked the float height, and set the pilot air screws to 1/2 turn out.
          Oiled the pod filters.

I have some fuel line and clamps to pick up this week from McMaster Carr, other than that, THE ENGINE WILL BE READY TO START NEXT WEEK!!!!! Stay tuned :-)

René Descartes

Comment

PS: If anyone has any first startup suggestions/tips/advice, I am all ears.

Engine has already been spun over to fill the oil galleries. The current plan is to have a box fan blowing on the motor and to not let it run below 1500 to 2000 rpm (cam break in). I will recheck the manual cam chain tensioner before startup.
            René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post

When I looked at the schematic for the original harness, I was blown away by how much unnecessary crap was in there - I quickly came to the conclusion that it would be far easier to build a new harness around my use of relays and new fuse panel rather than try to modify the old one. Once I redraw the schematic on a new sheet of paper I will post it here so anyone can re-create it.
              I think some of us will try to hold you to that last one....{chuckle}. Checking out mine today for obvious hacks by the Po....ugh...probably just better to start over with better wire and connectors especially since I plan on retro fitting an '83 fuse box in {I rather dislike barrel fuses}.

Comment

Engine has already been spun over to fill the oil galleries. The current plan is to have a box fan blowing on the motor and to not let it run below 1500 to 2000 rpm (cam break in). I will recheck the manual cam chain tensioner before startup.
                I don't remember which carbs you put on, but 1/2 turn out doesn't sound like enough. Stock carbs would be 7/8 to 1 turn out of fuel, 2 on air

The cam really doesn't need break in. But, let it run 2-3 minutes at 2500-3000 rpm, 2 or 3 times. once you get it finished, run it up to 6,000, varying the speed for 200 miles.

When you sync the carbs, don't let it run too long
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Assuming the new motor was assembled with assembly lubes in all the right places, just start her up. Keep a finger near a kill switch in case it takes off like a bat outa hell. Check for leaks while its idling. Couple minutes of idling? It will be just fine. This bike is so nice, its paining me just to see how beautiful they can be in the right hands.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Oh, and your clutch arm needs to go a notch counterclockwise
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      I don't remember which carbs you put on, but 1/2 turn out doesn't sound like enough. Stock carbs would be 7/8 to 1 turn out of fuel, 2 on air

The cam really doesn't need break in. But, let it run 2-3 minutes at 2500-3000 rpm, 2 or 3 times. once you get it finished, run it up to 6,000, varying the speed for 200 miles.

In the second or third post:34mm Mikuni RS carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                        I think some of us will try to hold you to that last one....{chuckle}. Checking out mine today for obvious hacks by the Po....ugh...probably just better to start over with better wire and connectors especially since I plan on retro fitting an '83 fuse box in {I rather dislike barrel fuses}.
                        Ask and ye shall receive :-) I decided to be fancy and draw this with TinyCAD. If you find any errors or have any questions, just holler!

René Descartes

Comment

Sure about that - ? In the relaxed state the clutch arm is parallel with the clutch cover, giving it an angle of less than 90 degrees in relation to the clutch cable. When the clutch is pulled, the cable and arm are at a 90 degree angle. When the arm is rotated one more notch counterclockwise, it sticks out obtrusively beyond the clutch cover and its angle in relation to the clutch cable is very narrow.
                          René Descartes

Comment

I'm running 34mm RS's - according to the documentation, the pilot air screw is typically set 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
                            René Descartes

Comment

Sure about that - ? In the relaxed state the clutch arm is parallel with the clutch cover, giving it an angle of less than 90 degrees in relation to the clutch cable. When the clutch is pulled, the cable and arm are at a 90 degree angle. When the arm is rotated one more notch counterclockwise, it sticks out obtrusively beyond the clutch cover and its angle in relation to the clutch cable is very narrow.

I agree with Big T. You may experience some creep when your clutch doesn't fully disengage; especially if you're using aftermarket components. Just looking at the photos, you're actually under-rotated a bit if you compare pivot center to pin center.

Excellent work, BTW...

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive :-) I decided to be fancy and draw this with TinyCAD. If you find any errors or have any questions, just holler!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xpev6r9w5...elays.pdf?dl=0
                                Ooh, gauge call outs too! Excellent....Thank You.

Comment

Working...
                                X