No announcement yet.

Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is revision 1.1 of the schematic - I fixed a couple errors and clarified the control assemblies.

Last edited by philosopheriam; 05-17-2016, 11:00 AM.
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
      Sure about that - ? In the relaxed state the clutch arm is parallel with the clutch cover, giving it an angle of less than 90 degrees in relation to the clutch cable. When the clutch is pulled, the cable and arm are at a 90 degree angle. When the arm is rotated one more notch counterclockwise, it sticks out obtrusively beyond the clutch cover and its angle in relation to the clutch cable is very narrow.
      While Rudy already answered, yes. I've owned mine since new and that's how they came.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

From the service manual:

This is how my clutch arm is oriented

For more clarity - I matched the angle of the cable in relation to the arm (in the relaxed state) with a carpenter's angle guide. At full throw, the clutch arm is at a 90 degree angle to the cable. In my current arrangement, I have 1/16" free play before the clutch arm begins to engage the clutch throwout mechanism.

Last edited by philosopheriam; 05-17-2016, 07:25 PM.
        René Descartes

Comment

As promised (three years later)...

A special thanks to:
          rapidray (head builder and advice giver)
          Fred Cousins (buddy and master mechanic/Italian motorcycle aficionado who helped me build the engine)
          azr (hard-to-find bolt provider)
          and *anyone* else who provided valuable insight during this build

For all to enjoy:

Had a few minor issues with fuel line leaks, but nothing major. Charging system works perfectly and generates around 14.3V at 1200 RPM. Verified with a timing light, total advance is set to 33 degrees.

Overall, everything was delightfully uneventful. She started up instantly and ran like a champ. Words cannot describe how thrilled I am right now!
          René Descartes

Comment

Nice job! Now get that thing on the road so you can break in those rings properly!
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That is phenomenal. Sounds absolutely gnarly.

Comment

Cool! Now to finish her up....that's a little too naked bike there.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies - this weekend, I will be removing the fuse panel and battery box to do a smidge of welding and then these parts, along with a bunch of other stuff, will be going to my powdercoater.
                  René Descartes

Comment

Very impressive startup! Congratulations on a job well done!
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Today's progress - I'm in the home stretch, now!

Let's get some welding done:

Making a round peg fit in a square hole - modifying the rear turn signal brackets to hold my aftermarket signals:

Shortening the horn mounting tabs - the studs on my new horns are too short to mount through the original rubber isolators. So, I cut the brackets short and drilled them.

Welded studs for the R/R on the mounting plate:
                      René Descartes

Comment

More progress - continued...

Filled some holes and gouges in the electrical plate:

I decided that I wanted to use a rubber strap to secure my battery - I was going to roll some steel to create hooks for the strap eyes, and then simply weld these hooks to the battery box. Unfortunately, when I originally modified the battery box several months ago, I didn't take this into account. So, to make the battery box look cleaner, I decided to remove the side supports that I previously welded in. I made new side supports that had integrated hook ends:

*First battery box modification from several months ago*

*New side straps with hooks*

Last batch of parts that need to be sent to my powdercoater:
                        René Descartes

Comment

Can they powder coat plastic? I'm thinking the heat needed {400?} would melt plastic things the headlight bucket...

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                            Can they powder coat plastic? I'm thinking the heat needed {400?} would melt plastic things the headlight bucket...
                            That's an aftermarket steel headlight bucket
                            René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                              That's an aftermarket steel headlight bucket
                              Ah.....nevermind{lol}

Comment

Wow, I just browsed thru 44 pages of pics and your doing an incredible job. I really like the wiring, thats top notch and I do that stuff for a living. Cant wait to see this finished and see how its runs.

Comment

Working...
                                X