No announcement yet.

Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To quote my twenty something y/o son. Dude this is sick!
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
      To quote my twenty something y/o son. Dude this is sick!

Thanks homes :-)
      Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
      René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
        Actually, I have been behaving myself - supplements are for AFTER engine assembly time, not during... I want this engine to actually run
        From experience......dont drink (wine) and wrench.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Hey!! Long time, no hear from!! LOL! How is your engine holding up?
          Ray.
          I will be reintroducing this project bike again as it goes into is final phase of mods which is just a few odds and ends. Additionally, last fall, the bike and I got tangled up with a box truck who's driver was decided to test his emergency stop maneuver in front of me. I missed the truck but laid the bike down off the road (in the dirt) doing ~25MPH. I got the bike mostly repaired over the winter but she's not quite done for show and tell. As for the engine, its rock solid and aside from scraping up the stator cover, survived unscathed.

Comment

(really huge grin while posting these... very excited to pick everything up on Monday)

Frame Powdercoating
            IMG_1195 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

IMG_1193 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

IMG_1192 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

IMG_1194 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

IMG_1187 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

IMG_1186 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
            Last edited by philosopheriam; 07-30-2017, 10:26 AM.
            René Descartes

Comment

Swingarm and Center Stand Powdercoating
              IMG_1190 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

IMG_1191 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

IMG_1189 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
              Last edited by philosopheriam; 07-30-2017, 10:27 AM.
              René Descartes

Comment

Sure looks sweet!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Just curious, how much did it cost to have the frame, swing arm and center stand powder coated? I understand if you don't want to say. Just trying to get an idea of the cost of my next project.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Prices were $275 frame, $65 swing arm, $40 kickstand, and $10x4 bearing and bushing removal.... In total, $420.

There was a slight delay in completing the work so I received a bit of a discount off this price.
                    René Descartes

Comment

Those parts look amazing. I didn't see the swing arm mod anywhere in the thread. Did you do that yourself? Beautiful parts. Can't wait to see it all come together.
                      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                        Those parts look amazing. I didn't see the swing arm mod anywhere in the thread. Did you do that yourself? Beautiful parts. Can't wait to see it all come together.
                        Actually, I have another thread in the forum that details the modifications done to the frame - I had Framecrafters in Union, IL do all of the work. If you search for "Framecrafters" you will probably find it :-)
                        René Descartes

Comment

Here's the Framecrafters link;

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...!!!!&highlight=
                          René Descartes

Comment

Folks,

Sorry for the lag in updates - I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, and this time of year is "go" time. Been working weekends and long hours and attending training classes during the day (I work midnights). Nonetheless, I've been trying to squeeze as much progress in to my free time as possible.

Final test-fit of trans gears and clutch basket (modified 1100 basket compliments of rapidray)
                            IMG_1202 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            IMG_1201 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Checking piston-to-valve clearance using the professional's choice of clay..... Play-doh
                            IMG_1203 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            IMG_1205 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            IMG_1204 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

After doing the clearance checks, we discovered a *very* small amount of interference between the outside edge of the intake valve and the half-moon relief that is cut into the top of the piston (these are Wiseco 1100 big bore pistons). This would make sense, as I am running APE oversize valves, +2mm on the intake and +1mm on the exhaust.

To solve this, we removed the exhaust and intake valves from #1 on the head and then reinstalled the head/cylinders with a piston (1-2-3-4, respectively) inserted into the #1 cylinder. We wrapped a feeler gauge around the piston to simulate the gap taken up by the rings. Then, with the engine at TDC, we used a transfer punch that had the same diameter as the valve stems and dimpled the top of each piston by inserting the punch down the valve guide until it contacted the piston on both exhaust and intake sides. This will give us a point from which to zero the milling machine when we enlarge the piston reliefs.

Once my buddy is done cutting the pistons, I will post more pictures of the follow-up assembly. Thanks for your indulgence
                            Last edited by philosopheriam; 07-30-2017, 10:30 AM.
                            René Descartes

Comment

NOTE:

For anyone interested in using an shaved 1100 basket in a GS1000, the edge of the original GS1000 plate carrier will have to be turned down on a lathe until it matches the diameter of the 1100 steel drive plate. Otherwise, the GS1000 plate carrier WILL NOT fir inside the 1100 basket - it's a smidge too big. Just an FYI.
                              René Descartes

Comment

Just purchased these as well :-)

Mikuni RS34 flat-slide carbs
                                Mik_RS36-2005 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

APE Pod filters
                                filters2 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Delkevic SS Exhaust
                                exhaust by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                                Last edited by philosopheriam; 07-30-2017, 10:33 AM.
                                René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                                X