Clear All

Chain guard installed:
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Comment

Emblem restoration...

Before:

Soda Blasted:

Black, 1st step (gold lettering will come later, stay tuned)

René Descartes

Comment

Looking good...love the pin stripe re-alignment thing.
        Per your emblems...if you hadn't already painted them I would've suggested a small ball peen hammer to smooth some of those dings out...worked on most of my emblem dents - but I wound up buying new badges anyway{lol}.

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam;

Right Side:
          [URL="http://s49.photobucket.com/user/philosopheriam/media/Progress%20Photos/IMG_2207.jpg.html"
          [/URL]

Left Side (not perfect, but significantly better, the striping is a bit high on the left side seat trim):
          Ahhhhh..much better. Looks great!
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Ooooh, gotta stay tuned for the emblems. Have about the same issue.

Very, very, impressive work so far.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Agreed, the pin-striping realignment looks great. Nice job.......
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in progress updates - work has been hectic and I ran into a few small issues, but nothing that couldn't be overcome...

I decided to re-soda blast the emblems and pound out a few more of the dents (as best as possible). The end result has x1 light coat of primer, x2 light coats of semi-gloss black, Testor's metallic gold model paint for the lettering, and x2 light coats of gloss clear.

Mirrors mounted (went with the round ones as mentioned earlier in the thread)

This was the biggest setback, yet these are the kind of things that happen when you have a custom project - I temporarily mounted the tank to check for clearances, etc, and found that at full lock, my headlight bucket brackets were within 1/32" (maybe less) of touching the tank. Whoa... Too close for my comfort. So, I decided to kill two birds with one stone - If I moved the fork tube brackets further apart, there would be plenty of clearance. Also, the bottom fork tube bracket could then be used to hold the bottom triple cover in place. So, I had a set of brackets machined at a local shop from 6061-T6 aluminum that would allow the fork tube brackets to be moved apart yet keep the actual headlight bucket brackets in the same spot. I will be sending them to my powdercoater in the near future. See below.

There is a 1/2" black ABS plastic spacer in between the lower fork bracket and the decorative bottom triple cover - the lower fork bracket sits against this spacer and in turn, hold the triple cover in place

Overall, the bike is 98% done - I'm having some *possible* paint issues with my gas tank, of which I will report on when they are solved - the tank is at my painter right now. The engine has been heat cycled a couple times, oil changed, and I just need to check the valves. From that point, bolt on the tank, connect the fuel lines, drill the index holes for the controls, glue on the engine emblems, install the horns, re-check every bolt/nut for proper tightness, and take her for a spin :-)
                Last edited by philosopheriam; 10-29-2016, 03:29 PM.
                René Descartes

Comment

Clever and trick looking solution.
                  I don't think i had ever paid attention to the mileage. 43,000 miles on a better than new bike...amazing.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Clever and trick looking solution.
                    I don't think i had ever paid attention to the mileage. 43,000 miles on a better than new bike...amazing.
                    Thanks Steve - best part about the machine work is that the shop I used does excellent work at very reasonable prices. A lot of shops won't do small jobs like this, or, they want so much $$$ it's ridiculous.
                    René Descartes

Comment

dannnnngggg soooo nice very well done man !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

what size/brand model tires are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by zakdaddy99 View Post
                          what size/brand model tires are you using?
                          Pirelli Sport Demon - will post sizes later tonight.
                          René Descartes

Comment

Pirelli Sport Demon (bias ply)
                            130/90-17, rear
                            100/90-19, front

I'm running tubes in mine...
                            René Descartes

Comment

Folks,

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, but the long story short is that the bike will be rideable in Spring. I'm still dealing with a paint issue on my tank, but other than that, the bike is 99% complete.

I will do a full photo spread when its nice outside again.

Happy Holidays, too!
                              René Descartes

Comment

Back from my painter - was an issue with the glaze wax and not the clearcoat/paint. Whew! I installed the emblems today.

Fork tube brackets are at my powdercoater and will be done next week.
                                René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                                X