No announcement yet.

GS675RM (Retro-Mod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaronduke, not everyone needs or wants a liter-plus for daily riding. Mid-sized bikes tend to be lighter, agile, and forgivable in the face of danger. If you're not drag racing or don't weigh 300 lbs, what's the point of anything more?

Player B, I'm not normally a big fan of mods but I like that you're using a stock tailpiece instead of something that was obviously fabricated. Very much looking forward to the end result.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Bikes looking great. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the final product.

Comment

Originally posted by Arronduke View Post
        Player... impressed, great skills.
        The BMW is very nice, I want to build one myself one day after finishing about three builds that are waiting.

Sorry but I have to ask... why a 550? R80 well understand that but a 550?
        Love what your doing but if you cant fit a 1100 in there I struggle to see the point.

You got the bike cheap, yep got that... and there are some nice part going on this $$$ lots of your time. Impressed.
        But its a 550.

Brother in-law had a Kat GS650 shafty and it was not a grunt machine, only good for commuting really.
        As a pimple headed 13yr old when he brought it new that was all I wanted.
        Never did get one and wont.
        Maybe I am missing the point!

That said ... loving your skills and will be watching....(550 why)

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

as for why the 550... I wasn't sure I wanted it at first, but after some research I saw the 650 jug/piston swap and thought that this was a great chance to really get in there try my hand at some engine mods. I love to ride, but I think I like the garage time even more. I like making something that nobody else has.

The R80 engine is stock for now and only puts out about 50hp. I don't do long stretches of highway riding and have never wanted for more speed on my commute or an afternoon backroad excursion. It will still out accelerate almost anything else on the road. I may hot rod that engine eventually, but it's so smooth as it sits I worry that it won't be as streetable.

It seems like most folks are getting 70ish horsepower with the 550/650 swap. For reference that's comparable or better than a '90s Ducati 750SS. I'm not saying a 750SS is a speed demon, but I'm hoping with how light and nimble this bike should be I can surprise some people on it. The truth is, I don't need 140hp and the ability to do 70mph in first gear (I might not need it, but part of me does lust after it...)

and idk... I have a soft spot for a good streetable ride that is a bit of a sleeper. Most people wouldn't give it a second look next to a new gsxr, but it might surprise them a bit.

Comment

Thats a ridiculous point of view - why a 550?

Ive got a 400f - and its a lot of fun - if you know how to ride it.
          I often give the big bikes a run for their money in the twisties. There is more to life than going in straight lines.

Comment

While ive enjoyed and (still do) my literbikes immensely, I hope eventually to park a GS 450e or s next to the 1150. I think it would be great fun bombing around town on one.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Player B View Post
              For reference that's comparable or better than a '90s Ducati 750SS. I'm not saying a 750SS is a speed demon, but I'm hoping with how light and nimble this bike should be I can surprise some people on it. The truth is, I don't need 140hp and the ability to do 70mph in first gear (I might not need it, but part of me does lust after it...)

and idk... I have a soft spot for a good streetable ride that is a bit of a sleeper. Most people wouldn't give it a second look next to a new gsxr, but it might surprise them a bit.
              I hate to break it to you, but the GS is neither light nor nimble compared to any newish sport bike. Enjoy it for what it is, but don't ever fool yourself into thinking that it is at all equivalent to bikes that are 30 years newer.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Pretty ignorant thinking everyone wants a liter+ bike. I love my 650, the power to weight is great and it handles amazingly. With the 673 swap into that 550, as light as that bike is, it will be fun as hell to ride (and still do 120+)

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                  I hate to break it to you, but the GS is neither light nor nimble compared to any newish sport bike. Enjoy it for what it is, but don't ever fool yourself into thinking that it is at all equivalent to bikes that are 30 years newer.

Mark
                  I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. And I actually agree with you. I have no dreams of out racing a new sport bike on this. If speed was all I wanted I would just get a new bike. Most new ones seem easier to handle at 70 than they do at 30. I don't need the temptation to do something stupid.

When I'm done she should be significantly lighter than a stock 550, have better suspension, better brakes, modern rubber, and 40% more horsepower than stock. This is what I meant by surprising people.

I think the average poster on gsr would look at the bike and know it's not stock. But I wouldn't expect the average joe to be able to tell.

Am I spending a lot of money on upgrading a 550 when I could be upgrading a gs1000? Sure. But the 2+ grand I didn't have to spend on a donor bike can be put into the build instead. As long as she goes over a 100mph I'll never see max speed. Just trying to make something that will be fun getting there.

This is only my second build and will be my first major engine work. The 550/650 swap seems like a good introduction.

Thanks for joining along with my journey everyone.

Comment

You will never please them all. You are doing very impressive work. Some of us really dig the "sleepers". The whole point to life is if you like it, get it. If it's not available, build it. Keep up the good work. Watching intently.
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Hey I love the build thread! That beemer is sweet... (have you heard that yet? haha) I have a question though, how did you swap the gsxr600 front end. I know where an 07 front end is but I thought the neck bearings were different than my 850. Did you swap the entire triple tree in or use your upper and lower brackets and stick the forks in there?

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
                        Hey I love the build thread! That beemer is sweet... (have you heard that yet? haha) I have a question though, how did you swap the gsxr600 front end. I know where an 07 front end is but I thought the neck bearings were different than my 850. Did you swap the entire triple tree in or use your upper and lower brackets and stick the forks in there?
                        All Balls Racing Bearing and Seals packages all the needed parts to help with rebuilding your ATV, Dirt Bike, Street Bike, V-Twin,Snowmobile, All Balls manufactures 133 swing arm kits to cover more models than anyone, from 1973 to current,

Comment

I've looked at that. Drop down doesn't work for me. But I've came across an excel sheet with all the different sizes and a gs550 and a gsx750 don't have the same bearing sizes. That's why I was specifically asking him how he did the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
                            I went with All Balls and bought new races and bearings. The original races were a pain to remove, but I did get them out eventually. The lower Triple and stem are the stock GSXR units. I replaced the upper with a unit from cognitomoto.com The stock upper worked fine, but I wanted to mount superbike bars and didn't feel comfortable mounting them to the original upper b/c it is fairly thin.

I went to all balls and came back with the following part #s that would make the 2007 gsxr forks I have fit your GS850. The two kits come with bearings, spacers, and races.

All Balls Steering Bearing with Seal - No. 99-3540-5

All Balls Steering Bearing with Seal - No. 99-3519-5

hope that helps!

Comment

Did a final dry fit of everything before I paint the frame. Lots of pictures coming up.

Steering Stop bolted on to the upper triple tree

This one is looking up. You can see the tab that was already on the frame that I'm using as the positive stop

From the front with the bars turned all the way

Looking up with the bars almost at full lock

Comment

Rearsets and spacers

And a couple of the whole bike

Maybe I can add 1 item to the list as to why the 550 may not be ideal for me... I'm pretty big. 6'3" 220lbs. But I think I got the stance and seating position right. Feels good.

Then again, I make the r80 look a little small too...

Comment

Working...
                                X