My GS1100 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS1100 Project

I've been posting on the members introduction section but thought I'd move this project here. I bought a 1982 GS1100 G for $500 off Craigslist. It was titled, running (rough), and had new tires so I think it was a good deal. I'm going to try and post the last few months of progress I've made to get get caught up.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2014, 06:43 PM.

I want to first get it running better so I ordered rings for the carbs and a used air box so I can get rid of the pods. I degreased the caked on areas of the engine with Gunk degreaser and then the entire bike with Simple Green making sure to get in all the nooks and crannies. I pulled the carbs and tore them down. I have an ultrasonic cleaner and it works great for carbs (and my airbrushes). After soaking, cleaning, and using compressed air to blow out all passages, I reassembled and bench synched them. At this time I also thorough cleaned the inside of the tank. It had remnants of a poor lining job and that was a pita to remove. Filled it with distilled white vinegar and a spoon of salt and let it sit a few days. It's totally clean now. The vinegar does a good job on the rust.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I began disassembling everything so I can pull the motor. I believe this is the only way to properly paint a motor and frame. I did not have anyone helping me so removing the 1100 motor by myself was not easy. In retrospect I should have laid it down and lifted the from off of it. Next time I will use that method. While I had everything apart I cleaned the wire harness and all the connectors thoroughly and removed the dried tape an rewrapped the harness.

Comment

At this point I was trying to figure out what direction I was going with this. After staring at this gas tank I thought the shape of it was speaking to me, "cafe style". I know this bike is a lot heavier than the ideal cafe racer but I just think the shape of the tank is asking me to go in this direction. So I cut the tail end of the frame and welded on a loop. I have seen people leave the gusset hacked where the loop starts and think it looks bad so I added a small transition from the gusset to the loop which not only looks better but also strengthens the weld.

Comment

Next I sanded the frame to get it ready for paint. I used a single stage (doesn't need clear) 2K urethane black. I also painted many other parts at this time like the bucket, fork legs, wheels, etc. Proper prep work takes time but is essential if you want the finish to be durable.

Comment

I painted the motor and powder coated the covers. I really like powder coating because it is abrasion and solvent resistant so it makes a durable finish for engine covers.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I thought a bit of pinstriping would be a nice touch so I used One Shot striping enamel. To make it even more durable I added just a drop of hardener (the same hardener that I used in the black finish).

Comment

I installed the motor. This time I laid the motor down on its side and carefully lowered the frame down onto the motor. Not a single scratch. I put foam pipe insulation on the frame to be safe. It's cheap insurance.
                Attached Files

Comment

Before installing the swing arm I lubed the shaft and final drive gears. I ordered everything I need to completely rebuild the brakes. I could not afford the brake lines so I will have think about getting some stainless steel lines at some point in the future. I also ordered intake manifolds and air filter and everything I need to change all the fluids.

Comment

I hacked and welded on the handle bars and this is what I came up with. I believe that I'm gonna have to flip them upside down because I will have clearance issues like this.

Comment

I powder coated the calipers and rebuilt them.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I painted the master cylinders and rebuilt them and installed and bled the brakes. They feel fine.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Next, I hit the exhaust with an abrasive disk on an angle grinder and then painted the exhaust matte black. In case you haven't figured out by now--I don't like chrome. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks. I installed the exhaust and ran the bike as instructed to cure the paint.

Comment

The tank was rattle canned by PO so I am going to be painting it soon. Also on the list is repairing the side covers which are in bad shape and making a cafe style seat.

Comment

Great work so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X