No announcement yet.

My GS1100 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have to toss that question out to the forum. It was my understanding that some type of brace has to be used.

Comment

After posting about the brace/fender issue in e suspension section, I realize it is safer to have the front fender because it does help stabilize the fork from flexing when cornering aggressively. The fender does have a brace on the under side which stiffens it. A brace is the ideal but at my age I'm not as aggressive a rider as I use to be. I will probably trim the fender down some.

Comment

Today I cut and polished my tank. Before I put it back on I will probably synch the carbs. I have been running it with just the bench synch and it runs fine but might as well synch it with the vac gauges while I have the tank off.

Comment

Looks fantastic!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I am focussing on the seat now. I am building a cafe style seat. I want to have the option of riding two up so I decided not to make a fiberglass bumpstop. Instead I will be shooting for that shape but the bumpstop is going to be upholstered to allow for a passenger. I made a steel frame for the seat pan. The pan will be fiberglass and the steel frame will give it strength.

Comment

I love where you are going with the seat. I've seen so many cafe, tracker, bratstyle bikes that look as if the owner just gave up when it came to making the seat. It's cool to see someone still want to have the 2-up option and actually taking care in the construction of the seat pan. Excited to see what you do with it.

Comment

12675ED7-AFA6-471A-9A81-FB165509A8F6.jpg

I made a mold out of cardboard. Then I taped over it and waxed the tape to make it easier for the fiberglass pan to lift off of the cardboard mild after it cures. The back seems taller only because I am going to apply the fiberglass with the mold sitting on a work table and I want the mold to sit level. The lip around the edge will be trimmed to follow the frame evenly.

Comment

0FE9735E-8997-4E2B-9535-2FD04DA09AF2.jpg

After curing, I pulled off the mold and trimmed the edges clean. It is my first time working with fiberglass and I think it came out well. It is very sturdy. The fiberglass itself is very stiff and the metal backbone I welded up will give it added strength. The backbone is sandwiched in between layers of fiberglass. I wanted this pan to be solid and have enough strength for the added weight of a passenger.

Comment

Here is a picture of the underside of the pan. Next step will be upholstery.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I attached the foam and shaped it. Good quality dense foam is more expensive than cheap light foam but the difference in comfort is worth it. I will start sewing up the marine grade vinyl tomorrow.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice work! I have no confidence with seat making. When I look at the lines of your bike, and this is just one person's opinion, I think the bump stop would look better with a tad bit more shaved down. Maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at...since it's on the side stand and all.

Sorry for the weak Photoshop work.

Comment

Growler, I think you are right. I'm glad I read your post just now cuz I am about to start sewing up the vinyl. I am going to reshape the top first. That's why input is always welcomed. Thank you.

Comment

Good luck, looking forward to your next round of pics.

Comment

After Growler's suggestion, I shaved a bit off the top of the seat cushion. Towards the back a full inch came off. It is a subtle difference but it does flow better with the lines of the tank. (I really like the shape of these tanks.) So now I begin with the vinyl.

Comment

that looks fantastic. nice job.

Comment

Working...
                                X