Resurrecting a fallen Suzuki...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrecting a fallen Suzuki...

Been keeping my local friends in the loop with my Project GS but Trevor figured that I should post it here... duh, he's right! I picked this project up cheap about two months ago as a neglected third bike collecting dust and spiderwebs in the owner's barn. I knew of the bike as it was for sale in the spring but didn't move on it due to the high price. Lucky for me, the guy who did buy it never used it and left it forgotten while he got his kicks on a BMW K1200S... damn BMW owners, am I right, Trevor?!? Since he wasn't using it, he opted to sell it and took a bath on it since he didn't really take care of it in the months he owned it.... yay me!

So here's the story...

As delivered... semi-running, fuel leak, dead battery and all! It went from the guy's truck onto my workbench which was the farthest I'd ever seen it move.

The tear-down begins... and the to-do list grows!

So what is it? 1980 GS1100E, somewhat heavily modified. Converted to a mono-shock rear with 2004 GSXR600 swinger and brake, front is 1994 GSXR1100 USD forks with six piston brakes. Subframe has been circumcised and the factory rear taillight and plastics have been moved forward a good 8", maybe more. Seat is a modded and re-covered Kawi ZRX1200 unit and that oddball headlight is from a Euro-spec Yamaha FZ6N.

Turns out, the bike's original build was documented right here on GSR: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hlight=johnnay , and here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hlight=johnnay , and here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hlight=johnnay .

Lots of work in this thing, most of it pretty well done with some of it more of a hack-job. The wiring is atrocious and it's a wonder the bike has never spontaneously combusted so that's one of the first jobs on my long list... then there's body and (spray)paint, rubber fuel and vacuum lines, brake refurbish, headlight replacement (anyone have a complete '82 or '83 GS1100E headlight bucket assembly they can spare?), and a crapload of small details and rough edges to smooth out. I'm not complaining though, it's going to be a fun project and for the meagre price I paid for it, I have no complaints!

Just feels right to have a Suzuki back in the fold.... now who's going to swap me a clean Gen2 'Busa for my ZX14 to make even more right? ;D
    Last edited by Hayabuser; 02-19-2016, 07:57 PM.
    2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
    2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

First thing first, ditch the ugly headlight.

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Knocking one or two items off of my two-page to-do list every day...

Found this on eBay, got excited, soiled myself, then remembered that I was unemployed... guess I won't get blown anytime soon. :'(

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Suzuki-Turbo-GSX1100-S-E-EF-turbokit/221577693423?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkpa rms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3 D20140620075055%26meid%3D77d802769fa541f8b0f498e71 10922b5%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140620075055%26rk %3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D221550856478

Now the biggest hurdle I've encountered so far... round or square?

Exhaust off... what a scabby mess it is... getting the Scotchbrite pads and VHT black out tomorrow. Lots of access to the rest of the bike now though! Perchance I should run it without exhaust pipes? Anyone make zoomy-style headers for an 1100? >

Last edited by Hayabuser; 11-07-2014, 08:44 PM.
      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Round won the battle, but only because the nicest headlight assembly at Victoria Salvage just happened to be that shape. I would happily have gone either way... no "he goes both ways" jokes, please. :-*

Cut up some cardboard templates for locating headlight:

Fabbed brackets from aluminum once I was happy:

Height looks good to me:

And then there was light:

Plan on changing all of the old hardware for new before calling this done but it feels great to be one more step towards my first wheelie!
        2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Got my best helper on the rusty exhaust system...

Cleaned out the oil sump strainer and found all of this crap...

Reinstalling the Tremcladded goodness...

Exhaust back on...

More progress...

Custom decals...

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Historic bike...well, the engine, at least.

First year of the dynasty (World's Quickest).
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Renthal Ultra-low bars and bar-end mirrors on...

Still more to do but it's getting there! Sold my Thruxton today as well... freed up some money for ? I love toy shopping... ;D
              2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Cleaned and inspected the brakes today, lots of dead spiders in the calipers! Also washed up the K&N pods and added some classic Suzuki bling to the sidepanels.

As you can see, my striping skills perfectly match my painting skills! When you're at rock bottom, the only way to go is up! ;D
                2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Guess what? It rides as good as it looks! Assuming you think it looks good, that is.....

The only bad is how much water and road grime I got up my back from the rear tire.... kids, leave your fenders on if you plan on playing in the rain! Project GS will be a fair-weather only type bike if I was a smart guy. Luckily I'm not!

Now, I'm not the magpie type that Trevor is so this machine is going to stay unpolished and blemished... be forewarned concours types!
                  2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

The wide gsxr front needs a train light
                    sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                    1994 gsxr1100w
                    1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Ok, the first ride was around my townhouse complex but I finally got some miles under her tires and my opinion hasn't changed... it's brilliant! I am actually quite amazed honestly as you never know how these much-modified beasts will turn out but it really is that good. Alright, the front brakes are just so-so but then the six-piston calipers were always a bit rubbish but otherwise, it runs and rides like a modern bike. How chuffed am I???

So that's two months of my life in just a few posts... sad, really. Still, it kept me busy (idle hands and all that...) and I ended up with a pretty cool bike I can beat around on for minimal cash outlay. Result!
                      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post

The wide gsxr front needs a train light
                        I was looking for one but they're as rare as unicorn poo around here... plus, I was playing around with the rectangle headlight and only defaulted to round as that's what my local recycler had laying around. I dig the end result!
                        2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

So now that the GS is finished (are they ever really finished?), here's the next bike in line for some TLC...

... this one's gonna be a blast!
                          2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

I love the GS(X)1100. It looks awesome.

Brian
                            Brian

82 GS1100E
                            sigpic

Comment

The latest mod...

Oh yeah it's cheesy, but with the rainy season coming quick, the bike's abbreviated rear end would mean that I'd get soaked just pulling out of my driveway! Rain gear is never sexy....
                              2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X