Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks bloody awesome!

Comment

I've been playing around with the wiring a little bit. I had to see how the gauge and new LED head and tail light work. I'm going to try to start on the battery box this weekend. The big battery in the video is just for testing.

<code dir="ltr" style="text-align: left; width: 510px;"><code><span style="color: #000000"><span style="color: #007700">

Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Looks nice!
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Absolutely great looking bike I think. You've inspired me and maybe others who are looking to upgrade the GS suspension.

I see some of my questions are answered in your first post, thanks.

What kind of dash is that in the last video?
          Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Ok. Gotta ask, did the older style tank just fit on there,....ie., no mods?.

Comment

TiiMuch, the gauge is a Motogadget Motoscope pro. As far as the tank goes it required some fabrication to fit. If you look on all of this era frames you will notice the earlier frames have the studs mounted farther ahead behind the steering head. The later frames like mine had a separate mounted welded farther back and underneath the top frame brace. I cut this mount off but there are still holes on the head brace where they welded the studs in. I just welded in new studs in these holes. The rear mount is also different but the rear tank pad is very close to the same and still works. I just fabricated a new bracket that the bolt assembly screws in to.

A little more fabrication... I decided to find another tank and install a new style filler from an SRAD GSXR.

The donor tank. Beat up but clean inside and the filler is in nice usable condition.

The cap is a UK built Oberon.

I marked out the hole and 7 1/8" looked like the magic number to get the filler and tank to match up nice. Plus that's the size of a sanding disc I had and the closest thing that would let me mark a round hole that was big enough. Damn that looks like a big hole!

Sizing up the vent and drain lines.

Cut and fit in place. I drilled a pilot hole and used a fine bi-metal blade in my jig saw which ended up working out very well. It looks pretty good here other than the edges of the filler that need to be tweaked down a little to match the tank.

Here you can see how I straightened the lines and bent them down for the new outlets.

Then I carefully measured and marked the holes. I drilled them to the inside diameter of the lines. Then I heated up the area around the holes and gave them a few good taps with a tapered punch to open them up to the outer diameter of the lines. This will give me a good filet for the brazing. Welding will make the lines brittle where they will eventually crack. Don't ask me how I know as I speak from experience building a gas tank for my Bronco. This is why they braze the lines from the factory.

A little tweaking by hand rolling it along the top of the bench it she fits pretty nice.

Now to trim the tank and filler to fit and weld it all up. And finish braze the vent and filler lines once that is done. Grind and smooth it all out and hopefully I won't have any issues with it warping too badly. Then I'm going to paint it black with factory stripes like my other tank.

Comment

Ok, thanks. That gauge panel is very nice, but isn't in the right price range for my way lower budget project. If anyone has any ideas for an instrument panel on the low end of the price scale, maybe throw me a bone here.

Your design and fabrication skills are obviously pretty high.
                I'm impressed and really like where your going with this bike.
                Keep posting please.

Comment

Lovely welding job, you make it look easy.
                  I been wanting to suggest pushing in the sides a bit for better knee grip.
                  I know from riding my GS1100G, not much to grip when braking hard.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Any updates on this fine project?
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

+1, very awesome project. Definitely would like updates!

Comment

+2, whats happening?.

Comment

Something tells me this fell by the wayside. User hasn't been active since January.

Last Activity01-26-2016 11:44 PM

Comment

Working...
                          X