Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey thanks!
    Charlie, whatsa matta with that color?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Well, I really didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the color. Just wondering.........
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Well, it seems to blend well with the maroon.
        Originally I chose that color because it resembles tan leather.
        I considered deer hide and that's much nicer, but it ain't waterproof.
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-03-2015, 10:03 PM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

assembled

OK, I was able to finish the clear coat, and assembled the bike. I'll ride it for a couple weeks, then all the important panels will need to be wet sanded and buff polished.

Comment

Some personal maintenance issues are catching up with me: sore molar that may need to be chiseled out, cat is coughing weird, my car is dripping trans fluid, and I have a summer cold.
            However, I did replace 3 tappet shims and assembled the clutch master cylinder tonight.

Seems that these Suzuki clutch master cylinders have an issue, people say the clutch hangs up (?) I think that means they don't push the clutch rod in quite far enough.

Looks like I have time to swap in the 1127 this month.

Comment

Back to my project

Well I was too busy or too tired to do any work on the bike all summer. Spent my weekends just napping on the couch with the cats.
              However I did buy some better gear for track riding, and get on the road practicing my cornering skills.
              Did the last track day of the season on 10/23/15, so now I'm preparing to do the engine swap.
              Gonna do some suspension upgrades too.
              Just bought a GSXR rear wheel; 5.5" wide so I can use a 180/55-17 tire, and new fork springs from Sonic Springs.
              Thinking about buying a rear shock from a Yamaha YZF-R6, they bolt right in. However the original shock seems to work fine.

Comment

Wheel swap-mo bigga, mo betta

Wow, what a size diff; 160 to 190.
                But I'm only gonna go 180, an that's about all that's gonna fin in theah.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is the weekend

Getting started Saturday:

Break time

Looks like the wheel and fender need to come off, then the front end tilted up and off the engine.
                  Maybe the forks too.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-01-2015, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Bolted in there, but…

Well I got it bolted in there, but there is a clearance issue that needs some fabrication to solve.
                    The 1127 cylinder head is about 17mm taller than the 750. I had to take the breather cap off to clear the frame.
                    I need those 15mm cleared away, or at least 10mm. I'll probably have to mod the breather cap and the frame.

Comment

Clearance issues

Ok, over at katriders.com the word is; just notch the frame members, and weld a plate over the notch to regain some of the strength.
                      Here's some closeups of the clearance issue, so you can see.
                      Frame clearance, I'm planning on notching it at that horizontal shadow in the middle.
                      The tank support, I'll cut away the notch about midway through the tube.
                      I'll weld a cut to fit plate on both those cuts to regain some of the strength, keep them from flexing. Although they seem to be more than the bike needs.

Comment

Well, thats cozy..... Yikes
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Ok, crude but this is my 1st weld job.

Mo-betta

Comment

It is not the weld that would worry me. Can't you make that part any stiffer?

Comment

Well, the only weight it carries is the gas tank.
                              I think it could support my static weight (180lb) in the center, much more on the tank pads.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-04-2015, 07:07 PM.

Comment

My son's '90 600 hasn't had that stupid center support on it for years. I think the front and rear mounts are more than sturdy enough. Those bikes need as much weight removed as possible.
                                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Working...
                                X