92 GSXR 1127 engine into 750F Katana, [sick]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably true.
    I'm thinking of dumping the steel tail light frame, because racing tail sections are only $200.
    No way any chick my age is gonna ride up on that seat, you couldn't pay me to do it! …Well at least nobody's gonna pay my price to ride up there.
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-04-2015, 07:56 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Ok, I got a GSX 1100F Katana exhaust system mounted up. They only cost me $60 and they're supposed to flow mo-betta than the GSXR system. Kinda heavy but I'm sure they're quiet.
      Bummer is I lose the center stand, and the kick stand rubs the pipe when I swing it down.
      Considering other options, but I wanna stay cheap and ugly because this is a track bike that might crash.

These sure look good for $60.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

I'm sooo envious!
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

OK, this is good enough for me. Looks well reinforced by the flat triangle welded in there. My welding is too sloppy to risk getting molten splatter all over the wiring harness. Don't wanna push my fk-up factor any farther.
          I think I will cover it over with some aluminum tape I have, keep moisture out.
          PS: Installed new Sonic Springs 1.0 up front.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-07-2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

That's a serious HP upgrade Bill, I like it! Just a little tip on your welding... I've done a bit more than you (only a little) and yours looks better
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I would definitely do some reinforcement of those cut tubes. That's a lot of material removed and, even boxed in like that, they would be very compromised in strength. Adding a bigger engine and more stress will make maters worse. I'd look into some triangulation or at least some additional wall thickness on the back side of the cut area overlapping the areas that are not cut.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I should buy a real MIG welder, they're great for neat welding of thin metal.
                Not in today's budget, sigh…
                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-09-2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I cut a new clutch push rod 100mm x 6mm from a cheap screw driver, $2 maybe?
                  I'm using the cable clutch from the 750, this works out mo-betta a few ways:
                  Nobody liked the hydraulic from the get go back in in 1989.
                  The hydraulic sprocket cover would have to be ground off in the lower right corner to fit this frame.
                  I'd have to use a Katana 1100 shift lever that's a couple inches farther away from the foot peg, plus the 750 shift lever is very adjustable.
                  PS:I'm using the passenger pegs up front, because I can feel the end better through my boot sole.

Katana 1100 shift lever
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-09-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I can bolt on the exhaust permanently now.
                    Salvaged from a 1989 Katana 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      I should buy a real MIG welder, they're great for neat welding of thin metal.
                      Not in today's budget, sigh…
                      That looks like a vast improvement. Filling in the extended birdsmouth along with teh back support should be plenty

Comment

OK, got my Katana1100 oil cooler with lines bolted in.
                        These lines are bigger than the 750 and shorter, so you can see I made extensions for the lower brackets, and fabricated a bracket at the top.
                        Holds it in very tight. No touchy the headers or frame.

Comment

Just curious; did you drop the fork all the way to the bottom to make sure there is no tire to cooler interference?

Comment

No need, my photo is in telephoto, so the tire appears to be closer to the oil cooler than it is.

Comment

So WOW, started up today no problem!
                              Sounded great, basso rumble!
                              One issue, it's idling up at 3-4 grand, idle screw don't do anything. So must be vacuum leak, and probably the O rings.
                              Bummer is I got some from bikebandit but they're a bit too small, 39.7mm inside dia. They won't stay in the groove long enough to put the pipe back on.
                              I'm gonna try to buy some O rings at the auto parts or hardware store.

Comment

Good news Bill. Better hurry before the snow flies
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X