No announcement yet.

92 GSXR 1127 engine into 750F Katana, [sick]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna have to use a 3/4" threaded rod for the axle, can't find a 20m x 350mm

I'm happy with the results, this is gonna work.
    I pushed the axle all the way forward in the slots and I still got 18mm clearance on each side of the 190/50 tire. Next I'll weld on a brace somewhat like the GSXR.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Cute trick, I assume you will for sure NOT be using the rear wheel adjuster marks any more.

Comment

Wadda ya talkin abou? (Do I sound like Barry Sheene?)
        I never depended on those, they're only an aid, a mark to note incremental adjustments.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Put it in there

Ok, have the chain adjusters at midpoint, and this tire is 192mm wide, I'll be using a 180/55. I haven't got a 6 bolt sprocket, but ordered a new set today.
          Looks like the chain just touches the tire, the caliper looks right on, the brake arm is almost good, the forward mount just needs to be moved outward 10mm maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Wadda ya talkin abou? (Do I sound like Barry Sheene?)
            I never depended on those, they're only an aid, a mark to note incremental adjustments.
            For those that it did not occur to, since there is no jig in sight to insure alignment of the
            1.) adjustment mark frame to the
            2.) swingarm bolt frame

then and assumptions about their relative alignment can be thrown out the window.
            Even though it is common knowledge to not base wheel alignment on adjustment marks (due to factory tolerance errors), whatever it was it is certainly worse now.

In theory swing arm adjustment marks are properly spaced to insure the back wheel axle is aligned with the swing arm bolt; the relative orientation of the bolt and marks are referred to here as relative orientation of alignment frames.

Not saying it is bad, just need to be aware it would probably be way out now requiring wheel alignments.

(not to nit pick, but I think I would have hit that side wall with some acetone or mineral spirits before the photo op .

Anyway, this is turning into a nice looking street legal track bike that you can actually ride v.s. the cramped quarters of a Gixxer
            Last edited by posplayr; 02-13-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

For me this is real cramped.
              It's amazing how tiring it is to ride just 10 laps. You have to move your butt over so your crotch is on the seat edge before a corner, then as you accelerate away from the corner you have to push against .6 to 1 G move body forward and move your butt to the other side for the next corner.
              The 1st 5 laps I'm ok, then I'm getting tired, the last 3 laps I'm getting weaker on every corner. Later in the day I have to quit after the 7th lap.
              Imagine doing squats with a 50lb back pack, how long can you keep it up?

Comment

For me this is real cramped.
                It's amazing how tiring it is to ride just 10 laps. You have to move your butt over so your crotch is on the seat edge before a corner, then as you accelerate away from the corner you have to push against .6 to 1 G move body forward and move your butt to the other side for the next corner.
                The 1st 5 laps I'm ok, then I'm getting tired, the last 3 laps I'm getting weaker on every corner. Later in the day I have to quit after the 7th lap.
                Imagine doing squats with a 50lb back pack, how long can you keep it up?
                You need to go to the gym and get a personal trainer; they will whip you into shape so you can enjoy the riding. I did 24 hr fitness a few years back and I'm a former college track athlete/ decathlete but things have changed a whole bunch.

Comment

I welded on these reinforcing strips across the welds on the underside of the swingarm. That seems like the area of highest stress, I wanna be sure about safety.

Comment

I welded on these reinforcing strips across the welds on the underside of the swingarm. That seems like the area of highest stress, I wanna be sure about safety.

Bill,

I went through a welding class while in Carpenter Apprenticeship school and have owned a Lincoln mig welder for 25 years, that I used all the time to make brackets, gates, and architectural items, but when a life depends on my welds, I hire a certified welder.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      That cat looks stoned..... (subscribed)
                      Or at least, a little confused. I have a cat that is involved with anything I do outside. If I'm working on the bike and need to go get a part, he's waiting for me when I get back.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

He ain't stoned or confused. He's just overdressed for hot weather.

Comment

welded on the bracing

This is old school bracing, I think they were doing this back in the 60s. I was copying the SRAD swingarm.
                          Anyway, it's solid and only added about 20oz of steel. And it's kinked outward on the chain side for clearance, will have to test it. The chain might wack it when lose.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM. Reason: mookie

Comment

Swingarm widening mod, completed

OK, here's some pics, the swingarm project is completed, successful!
                            Thanks Kreylyn at katriders.com!
                            Clearance with Michelin Power Pilot 180/55, it's actually only 178mm wide.
                            I did not have to bend or reshape the brake arm or bracket, just moved it to the right and spaced with 3 washers and new bolt.
                            The new chain only has 116 links, 118 is standard, but the mod shortened the swingarm, so 118 was too long.

Comment

At the risk of sounding crass, why didn't you install a gsxr swing arm on the bike. Seems like it would have been a more direct installation.
                              1984 GS550ES
                              Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                              4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Not a direct installation, the K frame needs extensive mods to make it work. Old timers on katriders.com say it's not worth the hassle.

Comment

Working...
                                X