My cheap 83 750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
    I will second what Sandy said,the fork tubes extend that far up with the stock bars.Here's a pic of how high up they go

The tubes are extra long
    As for the airbox boots I'd try wintergreen oil,worked wonders on the engine side boots on the 85.

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I was concerned that the frame would be lower and the steering geometry altered. Seems odd....Thanks guys! Wintergreen, xylene.........and a shot of Crown, got it!
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

About those intake boots, maybe 88-97 Katana GSX750F boots will work. They look very similar.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        About those intake boots, maybe 88-97 Katana GSX750F boots will work. They look very similar.
        I'll look into that. It's only the inside ones that are discontinued.

I went on a hunt for Wintergreen oil today. The drug store has it but it's 70% alcohol. The health food store has 100% pure for $9.99 an ounce. I'm going back to check on line. Anyone have a source?
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It doesn't take much Charlie. I have softened 4 boots with only a dozen drops in hot water and then let them sit for a few days. All I could get up here was the same $10 ounce at the health store. A the boots smell so fresh afterwards...for a long time.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Managed to do a few things weekend between some getting ready for winter chores. Removed the battery box because it was a bit rusty and I figured the air box needed the extra room to move to pull the carbs.

[/URL]

(Looking down toward the swing arm pivot) I found the R&R attached to the plastic fender with one bolt. Now that didn't seem right. It goes under the ignitor bracket. Remounted it in place.

[/URL]

This connector for the R&R is a new one to me. Anyone know if this in a stock OEM device. It is just hanging here.

Pulled the front master cylinder, ordered the new lense two weeks ago from New River Cycle salvage. Still hasn't shown. Found a replacement lense for the tail light from some parts AZR/Sandy left me from a GS 1000e rescue bike. Thank you fellows! That style lense fits a whole bunch of bikes.

[/URL]

Man I love my 1100g for removing carbs from. These are tight!!! I would be indebted. I quite because dinner was ready.

I

[/URL]

The air box is abitch!!! Anyone have the magic words for it's removal. I'd be indebted.

It's spitting snow outside
            Last edited by Charlie G; 11-16-2015, 12:05 AM.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Comment

Just saw this thread, you've got your work cut out for you. I have an 83 750ES, and the R&R was mounted under the battery box if I remember correctly, I have several bike in various states of disarray right now so I may be thinking of a different bike. Both my 850's had them under the battery box for sure. I've long since replaced mine with a CompuFire, ran it up front above the oil cooler, mounted to the front of the frame and didn't even need to drill any holes. Looks like someone has modified the wiring, those connectors don't look factory and they are browning, might want to take a peek at the stator too, and get yourself a Polaris or CompuFire R/R.

Someone else will need to confirm/deny, but IIRC the engine has to be moved forward (or removed completely) to get the airbox out.

Following along with interest, and I am particularly interested in how you do with the wintergreen and xylene concoction for those boots. I have some that are quite hard and want to do the same.
              Last edited by mikerophone; 11-16-2015, 12:40 AM.
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Snow? meh…
                The next generation Suzukis have side frames. The airbox just lifts out, easy access to carbs.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

The R/R mounts to the battery box just as mikerophone remembered,I managed to stuff a PH009(IIRC) in the stock location but it's TIGHTThe bad news on the airbox is you probably can't get it out without removing the engine.A member said it could be done by removing all the engine mounting bolts and getting it as far down and forward as possible then it barely got out,maybe.Not sure I trust doing it that way but .I HATE pulling the carbs on the 750,major PITA!

Comment

I appreciate the comments....even the info on the next generation.

I've already removed the rear engine mounts. I'll probably remove the cam chain tensioner and see if that works and give up if not. I really just want to clean in there real good. No other reason to remove it. Initially I want it out to use impact wrench on the boot screws into the head, but I managed to get them out with minimal swearing.

I'll clean up that burnt connector for the R&R. I'll have to wait on replacing the R&R for the time being.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Yes you have to loosen the engine mounts to get the box out if I recall correctly. Still tight. Good luck with it. I had to use a ratchet strap to get the carbs back on the 750. This is why a lot of the airboxes are missing as they are often cut away & pods used instead.

I have a very small handful of parts left over from the ES if you need something. Little bits of trim & the like.

The stock bars are a bit overly angled back so I think those oftermarket ones might be good. The height is about right from memory.

Have fun!
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        I appreciate the comments....even the info on the next generation.

I've already removed the rear engine mounts. I'll probably remove the cam chain tensioner and see if that works and give up if not. I really just want to clean in there real good. No other reason to remove it. Initially I want it out to use impact wrench on the boot screws into the head, but I managed to get them out with minimal swearing.

I'll clean up that burnt connector for the R&R. I'll have to wait on replacing the R&R for the time being.
                        If all you're doing is cleaning like I did then just remove the battery box, loosen the air cleaner mounts and that should give you the room you need to get in there. Just don't put the carbs back on until you're done. I think removed the electrical panel too. With everything loose and the battery box out I just used some bungies to hold the airbox back. I don't recall it being any worst than the carbs on my 1000, a bit of it PITA but not too bad.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Tagged for interest

Comment

Looks like you got your hands full. Cool project, I look forward to following along.

Comment

In response to mikerophone, yes the wintergreen oil and xylene concoction for those boots does work. I did mine recently.
                              Last edited by alke46; 11-20-2015, 07:14 AM.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Still in the disassembling part of the project?

Comment

Working...
                                X